U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-03-2008, 01:03 PM

3,433 posts, read 6,361,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Said soldier probably fought in the Mexican War. One of my ancestors was also deeded land for fighting in that war and also for the War of 1812.
Probably so, I forget how many acres it was, its seems like it was 250? I should re-read the deed
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 02:35 PM

676 posts, read 1,602,575 times
Most of my dad's family have been in the "Suggins" country in Independence and Jackson county since the early 19th century -- before that, it seems that most of them had been in Virginia since well before the Revolutionary War. One of my Tomlinson ancestors was apparently something of leading citizen in the Tuckerman area before the Civil War. There are Youngs, Lees, Tomlinsons, and Craftons on that side of the family. I know that my great-grandfather worked for the railroad around the turn of the 20th century -- my great-grandmother died soon after my grandmother was born, and with him on the road much of the time she was basically raised by my great-great-grandparents. Whatever local prominence my ancestors may have once enjoyed was pretty well eroded by that time -- it's mostly sharecroppers and manual laborers up and down the line by then.

On my mom's side, I'm descended from some of the Italian immigrants who settled in the area around Grays, Patterson, and McCrory (my grandmother's maiden name is Angelo -- 97 this year and still going strong).

Not really family history, but for a while as a child I lived in what's reputed to be the oldest house in Clarendon (http://www.flickr.com/photos/17925159@N00/492923103/in/set-72157600201946652/ - broken link), now on the National Register of Historic Places, the Marston House. Built as a classic dog-trot with two large rooms on either side of a central breezeway, with a fireplace in each side, and a detached kitchen out back. Over time, the breezeway was enclosed and Greek Revival details like a columned porch were added, as were an additional set of rooms on the back of the house to connect it with the kitchen. When we lived there, the central room that used to be the breezeway was pretty much unfurnished, so as a very small child I played hundreds of hours of indoor football in what seemed like an enormous room. Local lore was that it was the first house built in Clarendon after the town was pretty much leveled by Union troops in retaliation for the sinking of the Union gunboat Queen City in the White River near Clarendon.

Later, we also lived in a house in Jasper, the Bradley House, that's now the Newton County Historical Society and Museum. It was built in the late 19th century by a prominent local physician. By the time we lived there in the mid 1970s, it was a rental, with the upstairs and downstairs rented out separately. The small room at the back of the house that was my bedroom has been opened up to join with the equally small room across the hall and is now the Historical Society office.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:54 AM

2,928 posts, read 4,350,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Winkus View Post
LadyRobyn,

I used to know a Harry Spurlock out of Corpus Christi, TX. We worked together on a project in Port Lavaca for Formosa. He was a little older and smarter than me, but a great guy to work with. I'll bet you've never heard of him! LOL
Anything is possible! I don't know the name, but I've even found distant Spurlock cousins living in CA not far from where I was raised.

Truth be told, MY Spurlock branch got lopped off of the big tree awhile back.
Some long-time researchers did DNA testing on some descendants and figured out that my 4G-Grandfather (Miles Spurlock) wasn't a blood-relative. Seems the family just raised him as one of their own...but no one (yet) knows who he was or where he came from.

Spurlocks or not, they all lived and died in Madison Co. for generations and I have pics dating back to around 1880 to prove it.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:28 PM

350 posts, read 798,030 times
I'm a 4th generation Little Rocker. My mother and her parents are from Bentonville, so I've spent plenty of my life up there.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:27 AM

292 posts, read 809,558 times
No history. I came, I saw, I loved. Hope to retire there some day. Hot as a sauna right now in Louisiana. Sure, some of Arkansas is hot, too, but up in the northern half of the state, especially in the higher elevations, it's not anywhere near as bad as Louisiana. When we're up there in the summer and someone mentions humidity, I simply chuckle.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:42 PM

2 posts, read 5,095 times
Hi I am not from Arkansas but I am trying to find a relative of mine that was born in Alpena in 1926. His name is Thomas Lloyd Morris. He is my fathers biological father and he and my grandmother divorced when my dad was only 6. He was in the military and he knows nothing about him, and is curious about his family. My grandmother refuses to speak about him so he has given up on asking her. Please help me!!

Old 07-07-2008, 02:20 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,906,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andenton06 View Post
Hi I am not from Arkansas but I am trying to find a relative of mine that was born in Alpena in 1926. His name is Thomas Lloyd Morris. He is my fathers biological father and he and my grandmother divorced when my dad was only 6. He was in the military and he knows nothing about him, and is curious about his family. My grandmother refuses to speak about him so he has given up on asking her. Please help me!!
It's highly likely that any Morris around that area is a kin of mine. I don't have this particular individual in my family tree but I haven't investigated a lot of the side branches. I have LOTS of Thomases but no Lloyds. The Morris' were notorious for a long time of passing along names. I did do a quick search of census records but there are no immediate perfect hits. Is there any additional info you might have?? Where do you think he might have been living in 1930? I'm assuming he's deceased, what year did he pass and what state was he living in at the time? What branch of service was he in and what time frames? You can send the info in DM if you don't want to post this type of stuff in the general forum.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:54 PM

395 posts, read 912,087 times
Hm, I was born in Fayettevelle and raised in Springdale....

My great grandpa worked for boeing looong ago and was relocated from Wichita,KS to NW Arkansas. And my grandfather grew up in a smallll town in Arkansas called Kingsland...and moved to NWA from there b/c he met my grandma. I have since moved to Seattle and lived there for the past few years....

And that is my Arkansas history all pretty recent.

Any further back would take a long time to go over.....

Old 07-09-2008, 07:32 AM

197 posts, read 400,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaJasMi View Post
Hm, I was born in Fayettevelle and raised in Springdale....

My great grandpa worked for boeing looong ago and was relocated from Wichita,KS to NW Arkansas. And my grandfather grew up in a smallll town in Arkansas called Kingsland...and moved to NWA from there b/c he met my grandma. I have since moved to Seattle and lived there for the past few years....

And that is my Arkansas history all pretty recent.

Any further back would take a long time to go over.....

Ahh yes, Kingsland. Small town indeed. And yet it was the birthplace of Johnny Cash, and was also where Paul "Bear" Bryant lived as a kid.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,095 times
hey stormcrow, i just got your response. ok heres how it goes. my dads mother (my grandma) was born in alaska in 1928. she was raised there and met Thomas Lloyd Morris while he was stationed there in the army. what year i have no clue. they married and moved to california where he was stationed in Monteray county or city I'm not sure. They then moved back to alaska where they had my dad in 1947, and then my uncle bobby in 1949. for some unknown reason they divorced when my dad was only 6. she then met and married someone else and came down here to georgia. she let him adopt my dad and his brothers. he is the man that I call my grandad. he raised my dad and his brothers. my grandmother refused to talk about him, and gets really upset if you even mention him. i got my dads real birth certificate and it says that his name is Thomas Lloyd Morris he was 21 in 1947 and his birthplace is Alpena, AK. Thats all we know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas