U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 08:18 AM

2 posts, read 19,584 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if someone could give me their honest opinion about living in Hot Springs, AR. My husband and I moved to a small town in NC in 2005 and while we still love the scenery and nature aspects of it, we are becoming a little disenchanted with the locals and the lack of things to do.
We are not in a rush to move, but I am the kind of person who likes to plan and research things. My husband was born in AR and his family moved back there when he was 13. He didn't enjoy the small town he was in during his teen years. But, we have since visited friends in Hot Springs and the surrounding areas and there are things we both seem to like about the area. I like that it is a city but it doesn't seem to be a big, crowded city. I like the surrounding mountains and that there are houses tucked back in more natural settings but a close drive to shopping and such. These are just my observations from two quick visits.
I would love if someone could tell me if my thoughts are accurate. Jobs aren't that much of a concern for us. My husband is retired and I am in real estate. So, I can work anywhere. Thanks to anyone who responds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2007, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 9,805 times
Well I grew up in Hot Springs and there are plenty of things to do if you like the outdoors and lakes. The last year I lived there I live on Lake Hamilton and it was a blast. Now granted I was 25 and we were out on the boat 4-5 days a week.

The reason that I moved was to find a Job b/c there isn't much there unless you want to work at Wal-Mart or sell real estate to Texans.

Hope this helps.

Josh

Old 01-20-2007, 07:14 PM

1 posts, read 9,812 times
I've scheduled a trip to Hot Springs next month and am looking to purchase a lot where I can build a house and retire. I am divorced and have 2 adult children. I am still working and also have a side business where I buy and sell antique and vintage jewelry. Would there be enough to keep me busy???

Old 01-28-2007, 09:18 AM

80 posts, read 318,112 times
tlovell ~ I am not sure about Hot Springs, but Bella Vista up here in Northwest Arkansas sounds like what you are looking for.

Bella Vista is a beautiful place to live and a very easy commute to almost anywhere. Most the people living in Bella Vista are retired so the neighborhoods are quiet and friendly. There are some really great parks, golf courses, and sporting activities around the city. Most of the area houses are tucked up into the mountains, giving their owners stunning views of the valley. There are cute shopping centers that give the town a nice flavor and great little coffee shops to sit down with a good book on a rainy day. In many ways Bella Vista, AR reminds me a little of Asheville, NC. The trees in the fall are breathtaking, a dream come true for photographers.

Northwest Arkansas is booming in development which would be of use to your real estate job.

Sorry for getting off topic of Hot Springs, but just wanted to point out our little jewel of a town.

Many wishes and safe traveling!

Old 01-28-2007, 11:19 PM

262 posts, read 777,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingForFun View Post
I've scheduled a trip to Hot Springs next month and am looking to purchase a lot where I can build a house and retire. I am divorced and have 2 adult children. I am still working and also have a side business where I buy and sell antique and vintage jewelry. Would there be enough to keep me busy???
Hardy AR / Cherokee Village area in North Central AR... lots of antique shops.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:30 AM

2 posts, read 19,584 times
Default Thanks everybody!

Thank you for your responses. The NW area does sound nice. We have been to Eureka Springs and thought it was beautiful. But, it was a little too touristy for me personally to live there full time. We will have to do some more exploring before we make a decision.
But, thank you for your help.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:53 AM

8 posts, read 45,131 times
Default I live here

Okay here goes. I love Hot Springs. Summers hot, winters very short but uncomfortable at times. Lots of bugs but lots of great water and mountains. Real estate reasonable in places and very abundant. Buyers market big time. Lots of new homes and old homes. Free outdoor concerts and art shows all summer. Documentary film festival in October. Bad traffic during race and tourist season but does offer diversity. Lots of resturants with some shopping. Little Rock 55 mins away to bigger resturants, shopping and airport. 3 hospitals with many more in Little Rock. Beautiful down town. Some Crime so stay out of the bars in the middle of the night and should be fine. Lots and lots of good people with a mix from other countries. Rural property still available for quiter living but GREAT subdivisions. Clubs and churches in abundance. Good Luck

Old 01-14-2008, 09:07 AM

2 posts, read 11,353 times
Default rainy season in Hot springs?

Josh, could you tell me what months are the rainy season in Hot Springs? I know just Nov. but are there other months?

angie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtucker View Post
Well I grew up in Hot Springs and there are plenty of things to do if you like the outdoors and lakes. The last year I lived there I live on Lake Hamilton and it was a blast. Now granted I was 25 and we were out on the boat 4-5 days a week.

The reason that I moved was to find a Job b/c there isn't much there unless you want to work at Wal-Mart or sell real estate to Texans.

Hope this helps.

Josh

Old 01-17-2008, 10:26 AM

29 posts, read 233,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlovell View Post
Thank you for your responses. The NW area does sound nice. We have been to Eureka Springs and thought it was beautiful. But, it was a little too touristy for me personally to live there full time. We will have to do some more exploring before we make a decision.
But, thank you for your help.
Give Hot Springs Village a serious look. You'll never run out of stuff to do or get involved in.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:30 PM

3 posts, read 21,462 times
I agree with basically everything windyweatherford said - in fact, it almost looks like I copied it.

I used to live in Hot Springs and loved it. Had to move for school. In general, I really liked the weather, but it's unnaturally humid in the Spring - could've done without that. Crime is an issue in two notable parts of the city, but I lived in a middle income area with no problems. There is a very impressive arts community - documentary film festival in October, Hot Springs music festival in the summer, lots of art galleries, the Hot Springs band gives concerts in Whittington Park during the year. The town seems to have a parade for every holiday, which is kind of odd, but fun. If I could pick anywhere to live, I'd probably choose the historical district downtown. Traffic can be bad. Missing a few of the "big box" retailers, but not really a big problem and Benton/Little Rock has everything else anyway. Plenty of churches. Nightlife is good for a town with 40,000 - some places with great live music on weekends.

Like Cherokee Village and Bella Vista, Hot Springs Village is a developed community just north of town and is, of course, nothing like Hot Springs. There's some friction between Hot Springs residents and H.S. Village residents, mainly because Village residents are usually not from Arkansas and tend to have a sense of detachment from the community (i.e. not voting for bond issues for schools, tax increases, etc.). That said, the area is nice and the people that live there seem to really love it.

I live in NWA Arkansas now, which is okay. If my arm were twisted, I might consider staying in Fayetteville, but, in general, I do not like this area at all - too conservative, lots of traffic, and big time gentrification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas