U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 11:06 AM

292 posts, read 1,135,211 times

Advertisements

What's the deal with that? I'm really surprised, seeing as how Arkansas is so conservative. Has it been there a really long time? I know it's been there at least 4 years. Is it owned by a local or did someone move in from somewhere else and open it up? My SIL and I were discussing Clarksville and we were wondering about it.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:16 AM

570 posts, read 1,364,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvarkansas View Post
What's the deal with that? I'm really surprised, seeing as how Arkansas is so conservative. Has it been there a really long time? I know it's been there at least 4 years. Is it owned by a local or did someone move in from somewhere else and open it up? My SIL and I were discussing Clarksville and we were wondering about it.
Here is a link that may give you some helpful information They have a store in Fort Smith and Clarksville

Sex superstore set to open in Fort Smith (http://www.kfsm.com/Global/story.asp?S=5779473 - broken link)

Old 07-26-2008, 08:03 AM

3,326 posts, read 7,522,007 times
Arkansas has all the good and bad that other places have. These types of places are more common in there than you probably think. Arkansas does tend to be very strict towards any kind of adult or alcohol establishments. I've never thought of Arkansas as being all that conservative, but there's a loud opposition to such things, and the more moderate people don't seem to mind too much.
My personal view, for what it's worth, is that by not having these businesses too commonplace, with their billboards splattered up and down the interstates, makes for a better quality of life. It's one of the things I actually appreciate about Arkansas.
The libertarian in me thinks that people will do it anyway, so what's the point in trying to keep them out.
If these places must exist, however, then at least keep them confined to certain areas, so those who want to keep their children from such things can do so.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:16 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,358,167 times
I think the article hits the nail on the head with, "There's demand".

It ain't opening in the delta.

It ain't opening in Jonesboro.

Look at the geographic locations, and the demagraphics, and I think it's just another example of "I want everything here I had where I moved from". There's probably a good share of trade coming from Little Rock, also. Not to discount the small town trade it might do.

There's one off I-44 near Rolla, MO. Not the same chain, just the same theme. Big billboards advertising it.

Always cracked me up when I saw them.

BTW, as far as Jonesboro goes,there was an amusing flurry there recently as to a woman who opened a shop selling lingerie and included 'toys'.

City got up in arms, officials tried to classify her as having a "sex shop", and said she was too close to a residential area.

IIRC, she won the fight.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Arkansas has all the good and bad that other places have. These types of places are more common in there than you probably think. Arkansas does tend to be very strict towards any kind of adult or alcohol establishments. I've never thought of Arkansas as being all that conservative, but there's a loud opposition to such things, and the more moderate people don't seem to mind too much.
My personal view, for what it's worth, is that by not having these businesses too commonplace, with their billboards splattered up and down the interstates, makes for a better quality of life. It's one of the things I actually appreciate about Arkansas.
The libertarian in me thinks that people will do it anyway, so what's the point in trying to keep them out.
If these places must exist, however, then at least keep them confined to certain areas, so those who want to keep their children from such things can do so.
I'm with you....I know people will do it anyway, but I don't want them out in the open (right next to the interstate in Clarksville! With a huge sign!) where children are exposed to it. They should be somewhere off the beaten track, with very small, unobtrusive signs. And gee, would there actually be any (sane) parent anywhere that would want their kids exposed to it? That's just not something that should be part of anyone's childhood. I haven't seen any billboards for it, though.

My SIL said that there is one in the city she lives in, and they actually have a car with advertisements for the store painted all over it, and she and her kids see it around town all the time. My niece said, "Can you imagine them picking their kids up from school in that thing?" Thank God it offends her sensibilities....says a lot for her character.

I like Clarksville. It's a nice little town, and it makes me sad that this business is there. I love to go to Atwoods and wander around. Makes me want to be a farmer!

I hope they go out of business. My kids have to look at it every time we go to the cabin.

Rog....I was almost afraid to click on your link! I put my cursor on it and saw that it looked like a news site, though. (whew) lol When are you going to get started on that book that I said you ought to write? There is a guy who lives close to Jasper who has written books about his experiences retiring from Houston and moving to the mountains, and it's very entertaining, but he uses a lot of "cussin' " in his writing, so that marred my enjoyment of it. (You would think an English teacher could write a book without saying "what the hell" on nearly every page....literally) Your writing style is every bit as entertaining as his, maybe even more.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:34 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,358,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvarkansas View Post
Rog....I was almost afraid to click on your link! I put my cursor on it and saw that it looked like a news site, though. (whew) lol When are you going to get started on that book that I said you ought to write? There is a guy who lives close to Jasper who has written books about his experiences retiring from Houston and moving to the mountains, and it's very entertaining, but he uses a lot of "cussin' " in his writing, so that marred my enjoyment of it. (You would think an English teacher could write a book without saying "what the hell" on nearly every page....literally) Your writing style is every bit as entertaining as his, maybe even more.
'preciate ya

When I got up this morning and went out to have coffee, I met myself coming in from greasing the tractor......so I don't know when I'd be able to write the book. I really need another one of me. I've been busier than a one-legged man in a <backside> kickin' contest.

I usually hit this board when I come in to cool off, and today I need lots of cooling off. It's hot.

Jonesboro station said possibly 100 degrees T/W, with heat indexes well above that. Thank Arkansas electric for keepin' the air conditioner going.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:17 PM

697 posts, read 2,562,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
I think the article hits the nail on the head with, "There's demand".

It ain't opening in the delta.

It ain't opening in Jonesboro.

Look at the geographic locations, and the demagraphics, and I think it's just another example of "I want everything here I had where I moved from". There's probably a good share of trade coming from Little Rock, also. Not to discount the small town trade it might do.

There's one off I-44 near Rolla, MO. Not the same chain, just the same theme. Big billboards advertising it.
I don't personally have any issue with adult stores, but my assumption, from having seen similar establishments in other places (South Georgia, for one) that are (a) on freeways that are major trucking routes, and (b) several hours from larger cities where there are lots of such places, was always that they mainly served the truck-driver market. Lots of long lonely hours on the road, etc. I have trouble believing that the local market in rural South Georgia or West Arkansas towns is large enough to sustain such establishments. That's why they have the huge signs and billboards out on the highway. Places that got most of their custom from locals would undoubtedly be more discreetly located and draw less attention to themselves.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:25 AM

3,203 posts, read 3,242,933 times
I can't believe Clarksville residents want this operation to come to represent their nice town right at the busiest intersection. These place should be at least 7-10 miles outside of a town this size. (This isn't Memphis) I drove this weekend from NW Arkansas to Little Rock and passed this XXX Supercenter. I was listening to "the Rebel" radio station out of Ft. Smith & heard to tacky radio ads for this place calling it "the place to play" with ZZ Top ripoff music on the ad. I think Clarksville needs to drive them out of town.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
I can't believe Clarksville residents want this operation to come to represent their nice town right at the busiest intersection.
Someone said they (Clarksville residents) raised a fuss when it was opening.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:35 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,984,028 times
I'm really surprised too! My Brother lived in Clarksville for many years before he passed, as did my Great Uncle. Such a pretty little town!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas