Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 10:22 AM

21 posts, read 52,455 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to Southern Arkansas next year. We spent two weeks in Arkansas last year and fell in love with your beautiful state. We both grew up in the suburbs of Syracuse, NY and have lived here all our lives.

You are absolutely right about the typical stereotyping of the Arkansas people and their way of life. Every time we tell family and friends that we are moving to Arkansas, they always reply with a negative comment and we are sick of it. What makes them think that their way of life is the right path for ourselves and our children? We are looking to raise our children in a conservative and loving environment and are tired of the liberal attitudes here in New York.

When the time comes, we will be proud to say that we are Arkansans!!!! And on a personal note, our family would like to thank you and yours for the sacrifices that you have made for serving our country. God Bless the USA.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:37 AM

570 posts, read 1,583,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westd27 View Post
My husband and I are relocating to Southern Arkansas next year. We spent two weeks in Arkansas last year and fell in love with your beautiful state. We both grew up in the suburbs of Syracuse, NY and have lived here all our lives.

You are absolutely right about the typical stereotyping of the Arkansas people and their way of life. Every time we tell family and friends that we are moving to Arkansas, they always reply with a negative comment and we are sick of it. What makes them think that their way of life is the right path for ourselves and our children? We are looking to raise our children in a conservative and loving environment and are tired of the liberal attitudes here in New York.

When the time comes, we will be proud to say that we are Arkansans!!!! And on a personal note, our family would like to thank you and yours for the sacrifices that you have made for serving our country. God Bless the USA.
You will love it here. When are you moving? Don't worry about that the liberal attitudes of New York think. They will still have to live their after your gone.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:10 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,654,334 times
I too, am moving to Arkansas or Missouri after retirement, I have heard the same thing as you, just from the other coast. However I view it as a positive. Nice folks, air that you can't see, that's freshness burns your lungs, lightening bugs, four seasons, folks that like to fish and hunt. I could go on for pages.... view yourselves as lucky, and always remmeber what brought you here inthe first place, don't try to change it, become part of it....

Old 07-27-2008, 01:23 PM

5 posts, read 14,456 times
I hate the typical Arkansas stereotypes. I moved from AR to IA for grad school, am around some of the best educated people in the nation, and still get stupid remarks about Arkansans. Talk about showing your ignorance. Can't wait to move back to AR.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:28 AM

200 posts, read 682,194 times
Several years ago, my wife and I had moved from Arkansas to Atlanta. We went out to eat one night with some people we had met. When we mentioned we were from Arkansas, I swear to God they surreptitiously looked under the table to see if we were wearing shoes...

Old 07-28-2008, 08:40 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
-------" looked under the table to see if we were wearing shoes"

Were you wearing shoes?

Old 07-28-2008, 09:25 AM

200 posts, read 682,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
-------" looked under the table to see if we were wearing shoes"

Were you wearing shoes?
Well, now, that's not the issue. The POINT IS that THEY LOOKED...

Besides, them fancy-schmancy big-city restaurants all have those "No shirts, no shoes, no service" signs hanging in the window, so OF COURSE I was wearing shoes. It was a nice place, so I had to wear my Sunday / Wedding / Funeral / Job Interview / Dancing / Bowling shoes.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by left4gradschool View Post
I hate the typical Arkansas stereotypes. I moved from AR to IA for grad school, am around some of the best educated people in the nation, and still get stupid remarks about Arkansans. Talk about showing your ignorance. Can't wait to move back to AR.
Isn't it amazing: eduction has little to do with Ignorance...

Old 07-28-2008, 10:19 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,759,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Isn't it amazing: eduction has little to do with Ignorance...
whoohoo! rep points for that one!

Old 07-28-2008, 08:40 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Arkansas is the most hated state in the US hands down, most of it I think is the way its portrayed in the media. I watched the tornado coverage last spring on CNN and the only people they interviewed were the most redneck people they could find in the crappiest trailers they could find. They do everything they can to paint a picture of Arkansas that supports the stereotype. Yes, the stereotype has some truth to it, but its no different than rural areas in Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia, east Texas, southern Illinois, etc and those states don't get the same negative stigma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of: