U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 9,700 times
Default Bears in Arkansas

Does anyone know if there are bears been spoted in the rual parts of Arkansas? I thought I spotted a big old grizzly but my husband says I'm insane?

Thanks yall
Mother Hen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 02:16 PM

5,950 posts, read 10,301,829 times
Don't know how rural you are, but there are definitely bears in Pope County. Don't know if they are "big old grizzlies" - I'm not up on my bears - but I know they are here because the wayward relative got one last year.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:09 PM

3,433 posts, read 6,361,818 times
there are some in Baxter county, one got on my dads deck and tore up some chairs where he had his squirel and raccon feeder. funny thing too. he had some wet cement and it left a bear print behind.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:12 PM

28,009 posts, read 10,391,663 times
Definitely bears in rural areas in Northwest Arkansas, though they are pretty rare. My parents once had a bear climb on their deck at their house at Beaver Lake. Pretty weird to look up from the TV to see a bear standing at the sliding glass door.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:59 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,839,666 times
No grizzly bears, though I've been mistaken for one on an off-day.

We do have black bears, however, and they are fairly prolific. One doesn't see them as a matter of course, like deer, but often times ihear the grunts from inside the treeline at night, and have spotted only two.

We have a bear season here, and as far as I know it is the only game you can bait other than the predators.

I had some construction sand at the side of my house for quite awhile, while I waited for someone to give me one or two "round toits" so it could be disposed of. The tracks that would turn up in that every night were incredible, and bear tracks were common.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:19 PM

3,280 posts, read 4,611,239 times
Years ago, black bears were pretty much wiped out in Arkansas, though they were native to the area. The state didn't like this, so they imported 250 or so bears from Minnesota and Canada. Today, the population is thought to be 3000. Some of those have migrated into Missouri, where they have recently been spotted.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:34 PM

47,276 posts, read 37,252,148 times
well we have only been here about 2 months but we haven't seen anything even resembling a bear: we did have a buck in our back yard a few days ago. He was so close to our screened in porch I almost invited him in for a glass of wine.

Nita

Old 07-29-2008, 09:13 PM

621 posts, read 1,273,943 times
I visited with some folks, while in Arkansas early this month, that live on the mountaintop just north of Mulberry. They were telling stories of close encounters with black bear in their yard. It's not what you want to see just stepping outside with a flashlight at 3 am in your underwear to investigate some noise.

Fortunately black bear are not that aggressive. They are more of a nuisance than anything. But, don't ever run from them. It can evoke the prey response. Just back away and don't stare them in the eyes. If they try to approach you, make yourself look as big as possible, talk to them with authority and if that doesn't work hold something over your head (like the flashlight) and make loud threatening noises.

They are usually just hungry unless it's a momma bear with a cub. Then they are both hungry and more dangerous. ;^)

Old 07-29-2008, 09:30 PM

17 posts, read 43,862 times
My inlaws live on top of a mountain in Pope Co. and had a black bear visit a couple of weeks ago. The bear moseyed around a little in their neighbor's back yard and then left.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:41 PM

106 posts, read 284,842 times
Default Bear all over Arkansas now

Growing up in Hot Springs, we had a Black Bear come in town near my family home, but this was years ago.

My Father was deer hunting in Southern Arkansas this last season and had a bear come up to his stand (really it's more like a kids play house but that's another story).

Just as a aside, there are lots of other interesting animals in Arkansas, including Elk, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, Foxes, multiple types of hogs, Bald Eagles, and Coyotes. In addition, some say Red Wolf, still call the deep wilds in Arkansas home. But many studies have listed them extinct in Arkansas and Eastern Texas. Personally, I think I saw one back in early 70's, hunting same area as listed above with my father seeing the Bear. But being a young teenage in the deep woods with a larger hairy beast running around you ... is sure way to create campfire stories. Grins.

However, I did have the pleasure of spending deal of time with a group of older members of our family, that grew up in Ark, OK, Texas rural area's. Of which, the best stories were of my ex wive great great grandmother, who was close to 100 at time back in early 80's. She could remember homesteading with her family in area way back in 1800's as young child. She told tales of Bears, Wolves, Bob Cats, and Mountain Lions roaming around their homes growing up around Hot Springs. Of course, this was also back when a trip into town would take a couple days on horseback. Needless to say, it was like listening to verbal history book. Sadly, my wife and I were just young kids, with hardly a penny between us, so we didn't think or attempt to record anything. What I would give now to have chance to listen to her again ... /sigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas