U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 10:46 AM

69,259 posts, read 79,427,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetmeoutofAR View Post
Im also a Realtor in NWA and ive never had people comment that the people are nice.
you have to be kidding? that was one of the first things we noticed and we let our realtor know. There is a couple from Las Vegas who are about to re-locate to NWA. Why, one of the reasons, the friendliness of those here. Of course not everyone is outgoing, willing to talk to anyone or offer a hand, but most are.

When we moved here we lost our wonderful Springer Spaniel who was almost the love of our lives. Our neighbors couldn't have been more helpful in trying to help us find Reggie. BTW we never did. I need to mention, we live an area that isn't highly developed (our street that is) and people who live here are not the type that want to be your best friend, they enjoy their privacy, this does not mean they are not friendly...

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 10:47 AM

456 posts, read 1,425,585 times
where did you move from may I ask?

Old 09-15-2008, 10:52 AM

Ive had many people comment about the beauty of the area etc, but never the friendliness of the people

Old 09-15-2008, 11:00 AM

39,020 posts, read 23,141,190 times
Quote:
Ive had many people comment about the beauty of the area etc, but never the friendliness of the people

Do you maybe put that out there? You don't think people are friendly, maybe that seeps into your presentation of the area when you are talking to people who are moving here. I don't mean that you say anything, but it could be in what you don't say, in your tone, or demeanor. Communication takes place on multiple levels, and a lot of what is communicated is never spoken out loud.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Do you maybe put that out there? You don't think people are friendly, maybe that seeps into your presentation of the area when you are talking to people who are moving here. I don't mean that you say anything, but it could be in what you don't say, in your tone, or demeanor. Communication takes place on multiple levels, and a lot of what is communicated is never spoken out loud.
I agree with you, tone is everything. Ive just never had them really ask me. They like the area as far as what they see, its just never really come up, people can make their own observations

Old 09-15-2008, 11:39 AM

69,259 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
where did you move from may I ask?
where did who, move from?

Old 09-15-2008, 02:36 PM

350 posts, read 1,124,646 times
Quote:
I agree to some extent...however the corporate world of NW Arkansas breeds egotistic attitudes in ways other small metros do not.....another thing Arkansas suffers from is what I call the "Arkansas complex" as it has been a state ridiculed and made fun of since statehood this makes people in Arkansas sort of defensive from the get go..

I think the NW Arkansas attitude stems more from the influx of out-of-staters. Like Florida, when you have neighborhoods where 2/3 of residents aren't natives to the area, that makes areas relatively unfriendly.

I think people in Arkansas are generally friendlier than 90% of the other places you'll go.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:28 PM

483 posts, read 1,360,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aporkalypse View Post
I think the NW Arkansas attitude stems more from the influx of out-of-staters. Like Florida, when you have neighborhoods where 2/3 of residents aren't natives to the area, that makes areas relatively unfriendly.

I think people in Arkansas are generally friendlier than 90% of the other places you'll go.

I agree! But I also don't see NWA being as bad GetmeoutofAR thinks it is!

Old 09-15-2008, 04:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,814 times
Default Just my opinion

Having lived all over the world,(no we are not military) AR has been the most difficult to adjust to. I would describe it as a superficial friendly kind of place.: I should add that we live in LR and not out in the country so perhaps that makes a difference. I have found that at my childs school where a lot of families seem to be transplants it's a much more welcoming environment. You will find your comfort zone.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:58 AM

24 posts, read 66,139 times
I visit my home in Arkansas about twice a year and have found the people in and around Van Buren County to be very nice and hospitable. People I don't yet know even watch my place between visits to make sure no one messes with it. The people I have come in contact with in LR (mostly airport), Conway, Clinton, Harrison have so far been rude and suspicious of us. I have learned not to strike up a conversation with most people. Hopefully when I move there in the next few years things will change or I won't feel a need to communicate with anyone outside Van Buren County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas