U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 10:56 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,862,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetmeoutofAR View Post
Have fun living in the nightmare NWA will be in 10 years....You'll be leaving 3 years early just to get to work
I don't live there so it isn't my problem but I understand there are issues. The first thing that has to be done is for the 4 main towns to put aside their small interests and think about the region. The formation of the regional transit authority is a small step in the right direction but from the sound of the first meeting, the bickering has already begun. They have an uphilll battle to face, I acknowledge that.

But the Springfield model of transit would not work in NWA to start with due to geology and it isn't something worthy of emulation in the current economy anyway. My sister lives in Rogersville, and I know from her experiences that the Springfield model isn't the peachy picture you paint. I'm sure it's better than NWA but there are plenty of bottlenecks there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 10:59 AM

39,077 posts, read 23,193,758 times
Quote:
Have fun living in the nightmare NWA will be in 10 years....You'll be leaving 3 hours early just to get to work
This is so blatantly over the top! Some of the highways get congested, and you have to slow down to below the speed limit to continue with the flow of traffic. You have limited maneuverability. Your comparison is Springfield, Missouri. That's a fair comparison in terms of size. But Springfield, while a growing, vibrant area, hasn't had the same sort of explosive growth that Northwest Arkansas has had. The state and communities are working to address the congestion problem, and it should be noted, the congestion is heavy traffic, not gridlock. It doesn't compare to Houston or LA or Boston. It's delays of 15-20 minutes. East/west highways and accesses have been massively improved. 540 was initially designed to help the traffic on 71, but the population growth merely shifted the congestion, and that congestion is confined to rush hour and special events. People who've lived here still take the back roads. From my house I can be in Bella Vista, Bentonville or Rogers within 5-10 minutes, I can be in Springdale or Fayetteville in less than 30. That's not a traffic problem.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:43 AM

69,422 posts, read 79,637,759 times
Quote:
I now live in Springfield, MO and I notice a HUGE difference in the way the traffic is handled. Excellent outflow, not any significant gridlock, tons of wide avenues to use. I love it. NW AR has a severe problem and its only getting worse.
wait a minute, you live in Springfield, MO, you are a realtor in NWA and yet you spend most of your time putting AR down. What do you tell your clients when you show them property in NWA? how bad the traffic is, how the people are different or what? Do you hold a dual license so you can sell in both states? Do you try and convince them MO is a better place? I have always wondered why you spend so much time on the AR forum and yet, rarely have much posiitve to say? Just curious, that's all!!!

Nita

Old 09-17-2008, 12:01 PM

456 posts, read 1,427,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wait a minute, you live in Springfield, MO, you are a realtor in NWA and yet you spend most of your time putting AR down. What do you tell your clients when you show them property in NWA? how bad the traffic is, how the people are different or what? Do you hold a dual license so you can sell in both states? Do you try and convince them MO is a better place? I have always wondered why you spend so much time on the AR forum and yet, rarely have much posiitve to say? Just curious, that's all!!!

Nita
Im am in the process of becoming dual licensed, and no I've never tried to convince them of anything. If there are disadvantages to living in the area you as a Realtor must downplay them (if they are coming from outside of the area) every Realtor knows that. No, I don't try to convince them its a better place, if they make that assumption so be it. And no...I dont spend all my time putting Arkansas dowm. I have on many MANY occasions pointed out all the scenery and nice things NWA has to offer, things to see and do, and so on and so on. I am however not too niaeve to see its serious problems the #1 problem being that there is nothing being done about the traffic issues. You take me the wrong way I think

Old 09-17-2008, 01:44 PM

8,262 posts, read 15,985,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
I don't live there so it isn't my problem but I understand there are issues. The first thing that has to be done is for the 4 main towns to put aside their small interests and think about the region. The formation of the regional transit authority is a small step in the right direction but from the sound of the first meeting, the bickering has already begun. They have an uphilll battle to face, I acknowledge that.

But the Springfield model of transit would not work in NWA to start with due to geology and it isn't something worthy of emulation in the current economy anyway. My sister lives in Rogersville, and I know from her experiences that the Springfield model isn't the peachy picture you paint. I'm sure it's better than NWA but there are plenty of bottlenecks there too.
I want you to drop and give me 20!! That is incorrect French grammar! Should be LA ROCHE PETIT!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-17-2008, 02:06 PM

2,370 posts, read 6,862,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I want you to drop and give me 20!! That is incorrect French grammar! Should be LA ROCHE PETIT!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL...I know nothing about French and I intend to keep it that way. Russian and Mandarin Chinese are are different stories though.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:02 PM

15,535 posts, read 29,290,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Dissing Lead Hill is fighting words... I may never ever move back there but I'll drop the gloves over it. Even if you're correct in your assessment
No dissing here. Actually, I'd rather have people be a little more honest and be maybe a little "hesitant" to be friendly to me, than have a bunch of folks come at me all handshake-and toothy grin only to talk about me and stab me in the back later.

Lead hill is a beautiful area and I have always been treated cordially there. No complaints at this end, but then I do blend well with the natives! LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-18-2008, 05:21 AM

69,422 posts, read 79,637,759 times
Quote:
Im am in the process of becoming dual licensed, and no I've never tried to convince them of anything. If there are disadvantages to living in the area you as a Realtor must downplay them (if they are coming from outside of the area) every Realtor knows that. No, I don't try to convince them its a better place, if they make that assumption so be it. And no...I dont spend all my time putting Arkansas dowm. I have on many MANY occasions pointed out all the scenery and nice things NWA has to offer, things to see and do, and so on and so on. I am however not too niaeve to see its serious problems the #1 problem being that there is nothing being done about the traffic issues. You take me the wrong way I think
ok, I'll buy that excect you do come across as negative about AR more than you realize. I was curious as I sold real estate for many years and always kept my personal feelings about areas to myself, I do the same now that I am a travel agent. It isn't always easy but I make sure my favorite travel destinations and cruise ships are exactly that, mine: I have always felt my role is to find the best for a client regardless of my views.

the house I love may not be exactly what is right for them, or my favorite cruise line could be the one they would feel the least satisfied with.

Nita

Old 09-18-2008, 06:13 PM

17 posts, read 39,276 times
Well we just moved here back in July and I can not even begin to tell you just how nice and welcoming people have been. We moved here from SC (no such thing as southern hospitality), and the first week we were in our house neighbors were bringing us zucchini they had grown in their gardens, zucchini bread, a plant for the yard, and literally just stopping on their way to wherever to say "hi, we haven't met yet".

Oh yeah when we told people we were moving here just because we wanted to they teased us about "hillbillies" and the like. All I can say is this is a beautiful state (especially in NWA), and it stands apart from the rest because it is so clean and the people are very friendly. Its the kind of place where you have conversations with complete strangers.

We are in Harrison, and see our tax dollars at least being put to good use. I don't know how this area compares to the rest of the state, but I can tell you it is a whole lot better than the Low Country, SC was. Where we moved from our property taxes and income taxes were higher but we didn't see anything come of it. We just had a bunch of well paid politicians.

Out here taxpayers at least have a voice. And the schools are better. The one our kids is in is a lot better. But we came from poorly funded schools that received F every year. I love the state, my husband loves the state, and we love Arkansonians.

The state is a lot more Southern than some of the "deep south" states culturally, but its a good thing to us. People out here are a lot less materialistic and a lot more into their families and raising their kids.

For us this state and the people in it are priceless. Each time there has been a storm that toppled trees, people are all out helping their neighbors clear the trees out of their yards and off of their houses. When there is an accident people don't just stop to gawk at the victims, they actually come out to help and hold hands until help arrives. Men open doors for women, people greet you with a smile and "hello" no matter where you go.

People take care of their aging parents up here, you know, they see them more than on Holidays, go out to dinner with them... Family means something in Arkansas.

It encompasses true American values more than any state we have ever lived in.

And Lord let me tell you the schools! The school our elementary school age kids went to in SC had great teachers, but the administration did not care about giving them the money they needed to improve the learning format, instead what they did from on year to the next was change the format, cut their funding, and demand results. Then they couldn't help but notice the state was having a problem with obesity, so they took out all of the vending machines, but kept the a la carte menu in the cafeteria. The food the kids ate in the cafeteria was not just bad, to me it was barely edible, so most of the kids ended up eating the a la carte (which was pizza and burgers). They put in brand new computers for the computer lab, but didn't have the money to buy at least one more copy machine so that all of the teachers and staff could at least work between two printer/copy machines.

And because of the poor funding, the parents spent $40 to $60 per kid on school supplies. Not backpacks and clothes, just school supplies. Here we spent $40 on school supplies for both of our kids. And during recess they actually have balls to play with, and play four square and kick ball. They didn't have that kind of play available to them in SC. And they actually have time each day to get all of their schoolwork done, so no 1 to 2 hours worth of homework in the evening. And if they need extra help, they actually get it!

And people don't yell abuse at the kids because they are riding skateboards down the road, we lived on a cul de sac in SC and people would actually yell at the kids on the street for daring to ride their bikes or skateboard in the street (there were NO sidewalks)!

I can go on and on! We couldn't just get in the car and drive 15 minutes up the road to go fishing, swimming or canoeing, because we had pollution and sprawl eating away at the waterways and lakes. And produce that is actually fresh and not infested with fruit flies. And being able to shop at stores that are NOT WalMart! And discount stores! And restaraunts that are just as inexpensive as McD, Wendy's et al, but have better food! And people who actually do the work they said they were going to do at the price they were going to do it!

Even our 10 year old makes a big deal about living in Arkansas. We went on a road trip down to Houston for labor day, and shopped (her favorite past time), but she complained the whole time because Texas wasn't like Arkansas. And when we crossed back into Arkansas she started cheering and saying "we're home". We were still 5 hours from home, but I understood exactly what she meant.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:36 PM

1,661 posts, read 4,364,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafitz View Post
Well we just moved here back in July and I can not even begin to tell you just how nice and welcoming people have been. We moved here from SC (no such thing as southern hospitality), and the first week we were in our house neighbors were bringing us zucchini they had grown in their gardens, zucchini bread, a plant for the yard, and literally just stopping on their way to wherever to say "hi, we haven't met yet".

Oh yeah when we told people we were moving here just because we wanted to they teased us about "hillbillies" and the like. All I can say is this is a beautiful state (especially in NWA), and it stands apart from the rest because it is so clean and the people are very friendly. Its the kind of place where you have conversations with complete strangers.

We are in Harrison, and see our tax dollars at least being put to good use. I don't know how this area compares to the rest of the state, but I can tell you it is a whole lot better than the Low Country, SC was. Where we moved from our property taxes and income taxes were higher but we didn't see anything come of it. We just had a bunch of well paid politicians.

Out here taxpayers at least have a voice. And the schools are better. The one our kids is in is a lot better. But we came from poorly funded schools that received F every year. I love the state, my husband loves the state, and we love Arkansonians.

The state is a lot more Southern than some of the "deep south" states culturally, but its a good thing to us. People out here are a lot less materialistic and a lot more into their families and raising their kids.

For us this state and the people in it are priceless. Each time there has been a storm that toppled trees, people are all out helping their neighbors clear the trees out of their yards and off of their houses. When there is an accident people don't just stop to gawk at the victims, they actually come out to help and hold hands until help arrives. Men open doors for women, people greet you with a smile and "hello" no matter where you go.

People take care of their aging parents up here, you know, they see them more than on Holidays, go out to dinner with them... Family means something in Arkansas.

It encompasses true American values more than any state we have ever lived in.

And Lord let me tell you the schools! The school our elementary school age kids went to in SC had great teachers, but the administration did not care about giving them the money they needed to improve the learning format, instead what they did from on year to the next was change the format, cut their funding, and demand results. Then they couldn't help but notice the state was having a problem with obesity, so they took out all of the vending machines, but kept the a la carte menu in the cafeteria. The food the kids ate in the cafeteria was not just bad, to me it was barely edible, so most of the kids ended up eating the a la carte (which was pizza and burgers). They put in brand new computers for the computer lab, but didn't have the money to buy at least one more copy machine so that all of the teachers and staff could at least work between two printer/copy machines.

And because of the poor funding, the parents spent $40 to $60 per kid on school supplies. Not backpacks and clothes, just school supplies. Here we spent $40 on school supplies for both of our kids. And during recess they actually have balls to play with, and play four square and kick ball. They didn't have that kind of play available to them in SC. And they actually have time each day to get all of their schoolwork done, so no 1 to 2 hours worth of homework in the evening. And if they need extra help, they actually get it!

And people don't yell abuse at the kids because they are riding skateboards down the road, we lived on a cul de sac in SC and people would actually yell at the kids on the street for daring to ride their bikes or skateboard in the street (there were NO sidewalks)!

I can go on and on! We couldn't just get in the car and drive 15 minutes up the road to go fishing, swimming or canoeing, because we had pollution and sprawl eating away at the waterways and lakes. And produce that is actually fresh and not infested with fruit flies. And being able to shop at stores that are NOT WalMart! And discount stores! And restaraunts that are just as inexpensive as McD, Wendy's et al, but have better food! And people who actually do the work they said they were going to do at the price they were going to do it!

Even our 10 year old makes a big deal about living in Arkansas. We went on a road trip down to Houston for labor day, and shopped (her favorite past time), but she complained the whole time because Texas wasn't like Arkansas. And when we crossed back into Arkansas she started cheering and saying "we're home". We were still 5 hours from home, but I understood exactly what she meant.
Exactly

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas