U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 06:31 PM

456 posts, read 1,426,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafitz View Post
Well we just moved here back in July and I can not even begin to tell you just how nice and welcoming people have been. We moved here from SC (no such thing as southern hospitality), and the first week we were in our house neighbors were bringing us zucchini they had grown in their gardens, zucchini bread, a plant for the yard, and literally just stopping on their way to wherever to say "hi, we haven't met yet".

Oh yeah when we told people we were moving here just because we wanted to they teased us about "hillbillies" and the like. All I can say is this is a beautiful state (especially in NWA), and it stands apart from the rest because it is so clean and the people are very friendly. Its the kind of place where you have conversations with complete strangers.

We are in Harrison, and see our tax dollars at least being put to good use. I don't know how this area compares to the rest of the state, but I can tell you it is a whole lot better than the Low Country, SC was. Where we moved from our property taxes and income taxes were higher but we didn't see anything come of it. We just had a bunch of well paid politicians.

Out here taxpayers at least have a voice. And the schools are better. The one our kids is in is a lot better. But we came from poorly funded schools that received F every year. I love the state, my husband loves the state, and we love Arkansonians.

The state is a lot more Southern than some of the "deep south" states culturally, but its a good thing to us. People out here are a lot less materialistic and a lot more into their families and raising their kids.

For us this state and the people in it are priceless. Each time there has been a storm that toppled trees, people are all out helping their neighbors clear the trees out of their yards and off of their houses. When there is an accident people don't just stop to gawk at the victims, they actually come out to help and hold hands until help arrives. Men open doors for women, people greet you with a smile and "hello" no matter where you go.

People take care of their aging parents up here, you know, they see them more than on Holidays, go out to dinner with them... Family means something in Arkansas.

It encompasses true American values more than any state we have ever lived in.

And Lord let me tell you the schools! The school our elementary school age kids went to in SC had great teachers, but the administration did not care about giving them the money they needed to improve the learning format, instead what they did from on year to the next was change the format, cut their funding, and demand results. Then they couldn't help but notice the state was having a problem with obesity, so they took out all of the vending machines, but kept the a la carte menu in the cafeteria. The food the kids ate in the cafeteria was not just bad, to me it was barely edible, so most of the kids ended up eating the a la carte (which was pizza and burgers). They put in brand new computers for the computer lab, but didn't have the money to buy at least one more copy machine so that all of the teachers and staff could at least work between two printer/copy machines.

And because of the poor funding, the parents spent $40 to $60 per kid on school supplies. Not backpacks and clothes, just school supplies. Here we spent $40 on school supplies for both of our kids. And during recess they actually have balls to play with, and play four square and kick ball. They didn't have that kind of play available to them in SC. And they actually have time each day to get all of their schoolwork done, so no 1 to 2 hours worth of homework in the evening. And if they need extra help, they actually get it!

And people don't yell abuse at the kids because they are riding skateboards down the road, we lived on a cul de sac in SC and people would actually yell at the kids on the street for daring to ride their bikes or skateboard in the street (there were NO sidewalks)!

I can go on and on! We couldn't just get in the car and drive 15 minutes up the road to go fishing, swimming or canoeing, because we had pollution and sprawl eating away at the waterways and lakes. And produce that is actually fresh and not infested with fruit flies. And being able to shop at stores that are NOT WalMart! And discount stores! And restaraunts that are just as inexpensive as McD, Wendy's et al, but have better food! And people who actually do the work they said they were going to do at the price they were going to do it!

Even our 10 year old makes a big deal about living in Arkansas. We went on a road trip down to Houston for labor day, and shopped (her favorite past time), but she complained the whole time because Texas wasn't like Arkansas. And when we crossed back into Arkansas she started cheering and saying "we're home". We were still 5 hours from home, but I understood exactly what she meant.

I'll stay out of this one to avoid controversy. Glad your enjoying your time in AR! Where all have you lived besides SC? I've never been to SC but I've always considered it to be the deep south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 07:16 PM

17 posts, read 39,231 times
Go to visit there is a lot to enjoy, but you don't want to live there. Unfortunately, its so suburbanized that its lost its Southernness. Its over developed and still going, and the classism is blatant. Racism is blatant. And people are very self absorbed. We lived in the Charleston area, so I can't really lump the whole state into my judgements, even though I am. Those of us that moved there from another state called the attitude Charleston Blue Blood syndrom. If you weren't from SC you were considered a yankee, but they themselves weren't "southern".

There are a LOT of very FAT people, but the common thing was to eat out, and when the average person cooked at home it was something that came from a box.

And what really got to me the most was just how uncommon it was to meet natives who had even served in the military, but they were very pro-war. We were fresh out of the Army when all of that began, sitting on Fort Lewis counting the days when 9/11 happened, so this was something that stayed with me. It was okay for my husband to go and die, for us to live through the protests off our posts, the bomb threats, because we "yankees" were there to serve their interests. You know what I mean? They didn't think they should have to get their hands dirty and it was on the individual level.

Hell I am talk-typing way too much. Anyway, its nice to visit. Edisto Beach is a must see, the lighthouses, the natural preserves that are left, and you can't go to SC without seeing some gators, eating some crawdads/crayfish, and try the fried strawberries if you are ever in Charleston, at the Holiday Inn.

If you are into good beer, good luck. The selection was limited, and they don't allow the sale of anything other than beer or wine in the stores, you go to a "package store" for your liqour. You buy your beer/wine at the grocery stores, and have to take whatever they happen to order.

The best seafood place (seafood there you won't regret) is in downtown Charleston. I can't remember the name, but you can't miss it either, its the one with the line that goes about a block back.

Oh god can't forget, the Hunley.

I was born and raised mostly in AZ (phoenix area), husband was born in Florida raised in Texas, lived in Missouri around Mound City, Deland Florida area, DC/MD/VA area, WA, then SC.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:54 PM

well you've certainly lived in alot of areas and i respect your judgement. From how you described it South Carolina is far from the kind of place i'd want to live. it appears southern hospitality has vanished in the old south.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:58 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,528,878 times
Your description of Charleston sounds eerily like Little Rock, especially the classism and racism parts. People in Arkansas, like many places, also center social events around food. Other than that, everything you've said about Arkansas is virtually opposite of my experience. Don't take it too personally. I just have issues.

In all honesty, I am glad you like it there.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafitz View Post
Well we just moved here back in July and I can not even begin to tell you just how nice and welcoming people have been. We moved here from SC (no such thing as southern hospitality), and the first week we were in our house neighbors were bringing us zucchini they had grown in their gardens, zucchini bread, a plant for the yard, and literally just stopping on their way to wherever to say "hi, we haven't met yet".

Oh yeah when we told people we were moving here just because we wanted to they teased us about "hillbillies" and the like. All I can say is this is a beautiful state (especially in NWA), and it stands apart from the rest because it is so clean and the people are very friendly. Its the kind of place where you have conversations with complete strangers.

We are in Harrison, and see our tax dollars at least being put to good use. I don't know how this area compares to the rest of the state, but I can tell you it is a whole lot better than the Low Country, SC was. Where we moved from our property taxes and income taxes were higher but we didn't see anything come of it. We just had a bunch of well paid politicians.

Out here taxpayers at least have a voice. And the schools are better. The one our kids is in is a lot better. But we came from poorly funded schools that received F every year. I love the state, my husband loves the state, and we love Arkansonians.

The state is a lot more Southern than some of the "deep south" states culturally, but its a good thing to us. People out here are a lot less materialistic and a lot more into their families and raising their kids.

For us this state and the people in it are priceless. Each time there has been a storm that toppled trees, people are all out helping their neighbors clear the trees out of their yards and off of their houses. When there is an accident people don't just stop to gawk at the victims, they actually come out to help and hold hands until help arrives. Men open doors for women, people greet you with a smile and "hello" no matter where you go.

People take care of their aging parents up here, you know, they see them more than on Holidays, go out to dinner with them... Family means something in Arkansas.

It encompasses true American values more than any state we have ever lived in.

And Lord let me tell you the schools! The school our elementary school age kids went to in SC had great teachers, but the administration did not care about giving them the money they needed to improve the learning format, instead what they did from on year to the next was change the format, cut their funding, and demand results. Then they couldn't help but notice the state was having a problem with obesity, so they took out all of the vending machines, but kept the a la carte menu in the cafeteria. The food the kids ate in the cafeteria was not just bad, to me it was barely edible, so most of the kids ended up eating the a la carte (which was pizza and burgers). They put in brand new computers for the computer lab, but didn't have the money to buy at least one more copy machine so that all of the teachers and staff could at least work between two printer/copy machines.

And because of the poor funding, the parents spent $40 to $60 per kid on school supplies. Not backpacks and clothes, just school supplies. Here we spent $40 on school supplies for both of our kids. And during recess they actually have balls to play with, and play four square and kick ball. They didn't have that kind of play available to them in SC. And they actually have time each day to get all of their schoolwork done, so no 1 to 2 hours worth of homework in the evening. And if they need extra help, they actually get it!

And people don't yell abuse at the kids because they are riding skateboards down the road, we lived on a cul de sac in SC and people would actually yell at the kids on the street for daring to ride their bikes or skateboard in the street (there were NO sidewalks)!

I can go on and on! We couldn't just get in the car and drive 15 minutes up the road to go fishing, swimming or canoeing, because we had pollution and sprawl eating away at the waterways and lakes. And produce that is actually fresh and not infested with fruit flies. And being able to shop at stores that are NOT WalMart! And discount stores! And restaraunts that are just as inexpensive as McD, Wendy's et al, but have better food! And people who actually do the work they said they were going to do at the price they were going to do it!

Even our 10 year old makes a big deal about living in Arkansas. We went on a road trip down to Houston for labor day, and shopped (her favorite past time), but she complained the whole time because Texas wasn't like Arkansas. And when we crossed back into Arkansas she started cheering and saying "we're home". We were still 5 hours from home, but I understood exactly what she meant.

I'm not familiar with Harrison, but would say it represents Arkansas as a whole pretty well.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:11 PM

I have heard that a lot of Georgia is going the same way. Its really hard to describe, but its weird just the same. Its like living outside of the DC area without the efficiency.

Don't sweat it, I don't think this state is for everyone. I am just greatful that we finally found a place that really became home. Ya know what I mean?

Old 09-18-2008, 08:13 PM

5,412 posts, read 6,218,443 times
My cousin moved to little rock, and he was treated good.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:15 PM

More power to ya'all down there. Your the only state that makes hurricanes look like child's play.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:09 PM

102 posts, read 318,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetmeoutofAR View Post
People are about the same everywhere...people in NW Arkansas tend to be on the rude side though, Probably some of the rudest in the midwest if you ask me. If they are friendly its usually fake and soon fades away...but don't take my experience at heart...see for yourself
I thought Arkansas was part of the South. But I also consider Missouri to be somewhat Southern while most people think of it as the midwest, so maybe I just have a different opinion than most people.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:53 PM

I agree it doesnt seem much different here in Springfield than in NW AR. I think Springfield must be in the south too albeit the farthest north extent of the south. I don't consider Columbia, MO or St. Louis to be in the south
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas