U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 12:43 PM

1,661 posts, read 4,472,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybabies View Post
for the most part, we are very friendly. I have lived in Helena AR, my whole 38 yrs, and do know what the Southern Hosp is... we are just genuine, and good country folkd.. yes, you do run into some A holes, but most are genuine.. If i could go anywhere though it would be Northern Ar area,, i don' t know how friendly the people are,, but i would move for other reasons.. give a smile, and get a smile.. it works great!!
Folks are pretty gosh-derned friendly around here in the northern part of the state.

We have some exceptions, I dont get much chit-chat in a couple of retiree areas when they hear my drawl, but that's few and far between.

When they say, "Where you from?", and I answer, "Six miles south of Myron", it's a deal killer.

Hey, I'd say Michigan or Wisconsin, or something, but I don't think they'd buy it.

"I'm from Wisconsin, *y'all*"

Be glad to have ya up.

Come visit sometime.

We got everything here in the hills from fancy big houses to 30 year old trailers, and we just get along.

We figure we don't have any choice. Mother nature can hit hard, and if you think your gonna do it alone, it's a hard, hard life.

Our form of traffic congestion is when we stop in the road and shut off our vehicles to talk to each other. Ya can sit there jaw-jackin' for an hour if another car don't come up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 10:24 PM

6 posts, read 20,725 times
Over the Christmas holiday I traveled to Mississippi by touring some of Arkansas, from Rogers to Little Rock. I instantly fell in love with the state, the friendly atmosphere, and the mountains. I plan to hopefully sell my home here in Kansas City and move to the Hot Springs area, which I know nothing about other than the info from a friendly truck driver who lives there and the info from the net. I hope to be in Arkansas by the new school year.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:50 PM

6 posts, read 20,725 times
I plan on moving to the Little Rock, Hot Springs area as soon as my house sells. My 'dirty secret', my husband is incarcerated. Will I and my 2 young sons 'fit in' with the rest of the arkansas folks or will I/we be shuned an outcast?
Any AR folks got any comments? I will be starting a new life with a new profession in CADD (computerized drafting and design) and introducing my boys to a cean new life with beautiful lakes and fabolous views.

Last edited by houseofpayne; 01-17-2009 at 10:00 PM..

Old 01-17-2009, 10:50 PM

8,998 posts, read 13,061,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpayne View Post
I plan on moving to the Little Rock, Hot Springs area as soon as my house sells. My 'dirty secret', my husband is incarcerated. Will I and my 2 young sons 'fit in' with the rest of the arkansas folks or will I/we be shuned an outcast?
Any AR folks got any comments? I will be starting a new life with a new profession in CADD (computerized drafting and design) and introducing my boys to a cean new life with beautiful lakes and fabolous views.
I think most people will think your husband is the one incarcerated, not you. I wouldn't go around telling everyone either, especially since you're new and all.
I am happy to know more people are considering Arkansas. This states needs to grow, IMO.
The fact that you're bringing a great skill with you is great too.
I hope you find Arkansas to be welcoming. Let us know how you like it when you do arrive.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:23 PM

4,772 posts, read 6,549,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpayne View Post
I don't live in Arkansas (but I love it!), but I think as soon as you find your "niche" you'll be fine, though, of course, there will be some lonely times at first. There are a lot of transplants in Arkansas, so you won't be an oddity. And of course, there are nice people and cruddy people everywhere you go....just keep your eyes and ears open for the nice ones, ignore the cruddy ones. As for your husband, you don't have to tell anyone anything you don't want them to know...it's your business. Arkansas is really a beautiful state....I hope you enjoy it, and I wish you and your boys well. (Congratulations, by the way, on your new career.)

Old 01-24-2009, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,933 times
You know, I read through these forums, and can't help but laugh at some of the things I read. I've lived in Arkansas 95% of my life and let me tell you, it's not WHERE you are, it's how you LOOK and Present yourself. People are more judgemental than ever! Southern Hospitality? Yea Right. Don't let common folk find homeless people around...the homless have it the hardest ever. Little Rock? Don't even get me started. That is where you will find the most disrespectful, rude, arragont, hateful people ever!

Old 01-25-2009, 01:08 PM

71,593 posts, read 83,140,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessncatz View Post
You know, I read through these forums, and can't help but laugh at some of the things I read. I've lived in Arkansas 95% of my life and let me tell you, it's not WHERE you are, it's how you LOOK and Present yourself. People are more judgemental than ever! Southern Hospitality? Yea Right. Don't let common folk find homeless people around...the homless have it the hardest ever. Little Rock? Don't even get me started. That is where you will find the most disrespectful, rude, arragont, hateful people ever!
Jess, I don't know where you live or what you are getting at? Are you saying people here are not friendly because they have a problem with homeless people in their community? And who or what do you consider "common folk"?

I do not believe in turning a back on anyone, nor do I believe in letting people suffer in the streets, but I do have a problem with homeless people and I certainly think I am friendly, polite and caring...I think you might be a little off base here. Or maybe I am, but I don't think this thread was meant to judge people by their outlook on Homelessnes nor do I know what you mean by "common Folk."

Nita

Old 01-25-2009, 01:37 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,121 posts, read 7,543,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessncatz View Post
, it's not WHERE you are, it's how you LOOK and Present yourself. !
I have to agree with this part of the post..reading thru Arkansas and Missouri Forums, you get the idea that transplants (espesially us Californians) always think they have moved to Mayberry, and then when we get there and Aunt Bee does'nt welcome us with an Apple Pie we feal slighted....
NOw if you come across as a know it all CAlifornian, wanting to change the area to Arkangeles you just might not be so welcomed...Remember when in Rome do as the Romans do........WE want to move to Arkansas because of what it is now... so let's leave it that way....

Old 01-25-2009, 07:39 PM

6 posts, read 12,596 times
I livei n Boston but grew up in Arkansas. Most of Arkansas is really friendly. Alot of city snots in Fayeteville and Little Rock, but a lot of them are not Arkansans. People are not the same everywhere. I have lived all over the US, Europe and Africa. It all depends on where you live and visit once you arrive the. I f you came to Boston and spent the wknd in Chelsea, you woud hate Boston,but once you visit areas outside your plasn , you will see the difference. I don't find Little Rockers epsecially friendly, but South Arkansas is different, Camden, Chidester, Magnolia. Pine Bluff is a rude little city and Sheridan , Oy Vey!

Old 01-27-2009, 10:20 AM

8,262 posts, read 16,319,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetmeoutofAR View Post
The post pissed me off entirely!
Just the part about thier kids "raising test scores." Meaning that California educated kids are smarter than Arkansas educated kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas