U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2006, 07:49 AM

3 posts, read 9,526 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I've been reading everything I can find on the Leslie area and I'm thinking that's where I would like to retire. I'm living in Southern California but my Daddy is from Arkansas (southern part - Camden area) and I've gone back many time through out the years (always to the Camden area where my Grandmother and my favorite Aunt lived). I have cousins in the Little Rock area but I'm seeking SMALL town -- and Leslie only has somewhere under 500 people in it. I'm wondering if the town is too small to accept a "foreigner" and of course I'm Catholice, not Baptist...ahem.
I want to live on horse property and have a couple of pleasure horses to ride without trailering them first so I'm seeking info on that too
Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Janis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2006, 03:33 PM

702 posts, read 2,884,899 times
For God sake why are you leaving Southern California? We want to move there but just can't come up with $$$. We live in the Tucson area and are fed up with the heat! Tell me what you do not like about Southern California, please. We want to move there so bad!

Old 06-20-2006, 10:11 AM

702 posts, read 2,884,899 times
Red face Why would you leave Southern California???

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer
For God sake why are you leaving Southern California? We want to move there but just can't come up with $$$. We live in the Tucson area and are fed up with the heat! Tell me what you do not like about Southern California, please. We want to move there so bad!
Click on my member name and send me an email if you want.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:55 PM

3 posts, read 12,895 times
Default Leslie

I LIKE Leslie. It's... quirky! After living in Little Rock for six years and traveling most of this state through my job, my wife and I chose Leslie as one place we would like to live, if we could just figure out how to make a living there. If you're looking for small town, Leslie is rural with a capitol "R". Don't be expecting any cosmopolitan amenities but that's the whole point, isnt it? Although it's the only small Arkansas town I've seen that has an herbalist/acupuncturist. A licensed one anyway.

There's the Serenity Bakery, and some fella started up a creamery up the road in Marshall - apparently because he figured milk ought to come from where the cows are. Go figure.

Keep in mind, there are still a few crusty locals hunkered down in the hills who don't cotton much to newcomers, but I've always found a friendly, open feeling there. The land is beautiful - and the Buffalo River is close by. I predict big/small things for this community in the future. Ratchet down the ratrace factor about twelve notches and you'll fit right in!

Old 09-04-2007, 08:23 PM

7 posts, read 20,880 times
I don't see nothing wrong with leslie but i live in shirley / clinton i like it and its pretty small.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:03 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,035,564 times
If you are retired or self employed, Leslie/Marshall could be your place. The Ozarks are pretty, land is probably still reasonable, but don't plan on working in the local economy. Winters are not too bad...some snow, hot and humid in the summer. Absolutely no community services, stores and Motels are from the 50's era, with no inclination to change. I moved from CA to Marshall in 1975, lived there 5 years and was still an outsider...hell the folks I bought from lived there 25 years, and were still outsiders. Went back to Marshall/Leslie this spring, after being gone for 25 years...not much had changed, the Leslie Co-Op was out of business, and as one poster indicated, there is now a small dairy products retail store in Marshall. As for the Bakery in Leslie...they're mighty proud of their product...only loaf of bread I ever spent $7 on was purchased there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas