Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2016, 08:47 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,865,579 times

Advertisements

Beat Tech by ONE point? Seriously guys? Still, sure miss being at the games and it was good to see my Hogs again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 09:35 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,443,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Beat Tech by ONE point? Seriously guys? Still, sure miss being at the games and it was good to see my Hogs again!
I'm going to give them a pass for this game. La Tech is a contender to win their conference and had the #13 rushing defense in the nation last year......top 50 overall. The Hogs were breaking in a new QB and therefore depending heavily on the running game, which La Tech held to only 2.65 yards per carry. Much of that could also be attributed to the 3 new faces on the UA offensive line, which also allowed 4 sacks. Allen threw 2 interceptions that lead to La Tech TD's. He'll learn to take care of the football and limit turnovers the more experience he logs. The third down conversion rate was also bad, and that has to improve as well. The secondary continues to be my biggest concern.

Remember how slowly the Hogs came out of the gate last year. La Tech was an unimpressive win, but a win nonetheless, and the post game feeling sure was better than the one after the Toldeo loss in '15. Bielema is a good coach, and these guys will come together as a unit with each game they get beneath their collective belt. It's never easy to come out and throttle a worthy opponent in the first game when you have so much inexperience at the key positions.

It doesn't get any easier next week with TCU in Fort Worth. The Frogs score points by the truckload and the Hogs D is really going to be tested. They could really make a statement by playing well in that game.

Woo Pig!!

Old 09-04-2016, 10:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Did you get to see the game? You know, except for 2 interceptions, both going for touchdowns, Austin looked great: the play that gave us the win was brilliant and after the line got accustom to LA Tech's QB they did pretty well. We all have to remember we are noted for starting really slow. I was a little disappointed at first, but a win is still a win. LA Tech isn't going to be a pushover for many teams this year.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:06 AM

Yes I watched the game. Surprisingly SEC Network is shown here. Stadium was packed, and I bet you could hear the crowds all the way to Elkins.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:29 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,993,683 times
Offensive line got a long ways to go .
Not going to be easier for the offensive line when SEC play starts.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:29 PM

188 posts, read 253,633 times
FWIW: La Tech is picked behind So. Miss to win the CUSA West. So Miss knocked off Kentucky last night. Tech has been to-and won- two post season bowls in a row.

As a grad of UT San Antonio, I am just waiting for us to be killed by both...

Old 09-11-2016, 08:51 AM

811 posts, read 809,900 times
2-0
Austin Allen played a like senior
bring on an easy to watch (hopefully) game against Texas St.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:55 AM

WOW what a great game!

Old 09-11-2016, 11:13 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,443,642 times
Allen was amazing. 3 TD's, NO INT's.....now THAT'S taking care of the football, and THAT'S how you lead a team to victory over a top 20 opponent. Many of his throws were absolutely of NFL caliber, too......the cross field out patterns, putting the ball where only his receiver could make a play on it......and then to top it all off he makes 2 of the biggest plays of the game running and receiving the ball! It goes without saying that this may have been one of the best overall games I've seen a QB play, especially considering the level of the opponent and that it was only his 2nd career start!

Hogs also won a couple other battles that I always consider integral to achieving victory.......time of possession and turnovers. A team that wins the time of possession battle keeps their defense off of the field more, thus giving it better legs for when it does have to play. Good thing, too.....because a LOT of guys started cramping up in the 4th quarter on a muggy North Texas night. This is why I love Bielema's power football approach. Run the ball down their throat and combine that with a timely, accurate passing attack that features a sure handed tight end. That's old school power football right there! Then, the defense forces 2 turnovers that undeniably helped them win this game.....the fumble recovery near their own end zone and of course the pick 6. Ya really gotta give it to coach Smith's D. I also thought the defensive line played very well. TCU ran for almost 200 yards, but 93 of that was the QB scampering around. They made a lot of key stops. Yes, the D did give up some long pass plays, but they held a runaway train offense to 28 regulation points in their own house, and they stood tall when they had to, particularly in the 2nd OT when they forced the field goal that allowed them to win it with Allen's TD.

Speaking of standing tall........how 'bout that Dan Skipper?!?! All American OL and secret weapon on field goal block! Ya, baby!

Don't know why coach B would kick the ball to that Turpin kid at the end of regulation, but they got away with it in the end. Judging by his reaction I think someone may not have received his directive.

Also can't ignore the Hill kid's throat slash gesture after the TD that he apparently thought sealed the win for TCU. That gesture has been outlawed for years in organized sports, and these guys still do it because they just can't control themselves. It can be argued that the field position that penalty wound up giving UA for their game tying drive was the turning moment, although there were obviously many. Guy should have known better......just poor discipline.

Overall, just a wonderful, hard fought, thoroughly entertaining game all the way around.......and a Hogs win as the cherry on top! They'll crack the top 25 in the next polls!

WOO PIG!

Last edited by Tyryztoll; 09-11-2016 at 11:27 AM..

Old 09-11-2016, 11:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
and leave it to me not to watch the end of the game. We had a church couples group here for lunch yesterday, went to daughters for a light dinner and to watch the game, my leg infection is driving me nuts so I dog tired as the expression goes. With a little over 2 min left and TCU up 28 to 20. I said forget this crap. I went to bed. Hubby watched the rest of the game and didn't bother to wake me to tell me how it ended. When I woke up this morning and saw the score, I thought it was a mistake.

GOOOOO HOOGGS!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas