Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2009, 08:27 AM

947 posts, read 2,398,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
North Louisiana isn't all bad, you just happen to live in Farmerville. lol

Mardi Gras in Shreveport (which is also in north Louisiana) drew well over 500,000 people this year, and we had the Super Bowl of bass fishing, the Bassmaster Classic going on at the same time. That event alone probably brought in 25,000-50,000 people.

Stacie, north Louisiana would be much more enjoyable if you moved about 90 miles to the west.
There he is! Glad you did not leave!! anyway I told you to find me a house now did I not? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 08:32 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,528,870 times
Originally from Ohio, went to high school and college in Jonesboro, then moved back to the Midwest. I just like to lurk around here and keep up with what's going on down there.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:36 AM

947 posts, read 2,398,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguillot View Post
I was born in central Louisiana, southeast of Alexandria and lived there until 1962. Moved to a New Orleans suburb and lived there until 1976. Entered the military and ended up in California. I stayed in California after my enlistment ended and have been there ever since, but I'm very anxious to leave this state. I'm looking forward to retirement in Tennessee!
The only time I have been to California I saw a naked man at a truck stop and was so shocked! No one there even seemed concerned! LOL I do not see much of that here!

Old 03-13-2009, 09:04 AM

763 posts, read 2,660,012 times
Quote:
North Louisiana isn't all bad, you just happen to live in Farmerville. lol

Mardi Gras in Shreveport (which is also in north Louisiana) drew well over 500,000 people this year, and we had the Super Bowl of bass fishing, the Bassmaster Classic going on at the same time. That event alone probably brought in 25,000-50,000 people.

Stacie, north Louisiana would be much more enjoyable if you moved about 90 miles to the west.
I agree that the Shreveport/ Bossier area is pretty nice. We go there pretty often to shop, go to the doctor, etc. I really can't say much bad about Farmerville though. I grew up there and come of age there, if you know what I mean. It may have changed since I moved away. I have a lot of good memories there.

I'm with you Stacie. My heart is in Arkansas and one day the rest of me will be also.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:11 AM

768 posts, read 4,385,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Island View Post
I agree that the Shreveport/ Bossier area is pretty nice. We go there pretty often to shop, go to the doctor, etc. I really can't say much bad about Farmerville though. I grew up there and come of age there, if you know what I mean. It may have changed since I moved away. I have a lot of good memories there.

I'm with you Stacie. My heart is in Arkansas and one day the rest of me will be also.
Don't take that the wrong way, I just meant that it's a very small town. I live in Haughton now, and I get stir-crazy, because I was born and raised in the city. The suburban neighborhood I live in is nice and quiet, but perhaps too nice and quiet. It's just too Mayberry-ish compared to the neighborhood where I spent the first 23 years of my life. To some that is probably paradise, but to me... it's just too quiet! And coming from someone who doesn't like a lot of noise, that's saying a lot.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacieberry View Post
The only time I have been to California I saw a naked man at a truck stop and was so shocked! No one there even seemed concerned! LOL I do not see much of that here!
maybe that is why they were named one of the happiest states in the country the other day, they don't let much of anything bother them, even things they should be concerned about..

Old 03-13-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Don't take that the wrong way, I just meant that it's a very small town. I live in Haughton now, and I get stir-crazy, because I was born and raised in the city. The suburban neighborhood I live in is nice and quiet, but perhaps too nice and quiet. It's just too Mayberry-ish compared to the neighborhood where I spent the first 23 years of my life. To some that is probably paradise, but to me... it's just too quiet! And coming from someone who doesn't like a lot of noise, that's saying a lot.
I guess I'm just the opposite. I like the quite, the slow pace, and the laid back way of life. That's why we love the area in north Arkansas that we bought our place at last year. The larger places like Shreveport/ Bossier and Little Rock are great to visit but I sure wouldn't want to live there. Just too much traffic for me. And I can't imagine living in a really big city. The town I live in has 3 stop lights and every one of them are totally unnecessary. The town close to my other place has a 4 way stop and that's it.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:39 AM

768 posts, read 4,385,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Island View Post
I guess I'm just the opposite. I like the quite, the slow pace, and the laid back way of life. That's why we love the area in north Arkansas that we bought our place at last year. The larger places like Shreveport/ Bossier and Little Rock are great to visit but I sure wouldn't want to live there. Just too much traffic for me. And I can't imagine living in a really big city. The town I live in has 3 stop lights and every one of them are totally unnecessary. The town close to my other place has a 4 way stop and that's it.
My family often asks me WHY I want to move to Chicago, and I tell them "because I love the traffic, the TRAINS, the cabs, and the thousands of people walking around downtown!" I don't love the noise, or even being around all the people, but I LOVE the big city. It's just got an energy that I want to be part of 24/7. But yeah, everyone thinks I'm crazy, but that's my idea of paradise.

And the only time I hate traffic is when there is an accident and you can't go anywhere. I live 24 miles across town from my office, and on more than one occasion it's taken me nearly 2 hours to get home. But on a typical day, 30-40 minutes is all it takes. I was late to work this morning because I-20 was jammed solid and I had to get off and take the back way in. I'm used to that and I know Bossier like the back of my hand, so I have no problems with that. I will still be late, but not nearly as late as those fools who just sat there in traffic waiting to move.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
My family often asks me WHY I want to move to Chicago, and I tell them "because I love the traffic, the TRAINS, the cabs, and the thousands of people walking around downtown!" I don't love the noise, or even being around all the people, but I LOVE the big city. It's just got an energy that I want to be part of 24/7. But yeah, everyone thinks I'm crazy, but that's my idea of paradise.

And the only time I hate traffic is when there is an accident and you can't go anywhere. I live 24 miles across town from my office, and on more than one occasion it's taken me nearly 2 hours to get home. But on a typical day, 30-40 minutes is all it takes. I was late to work this morning because I-20 was jammed solid and I had to get off and take the back way in. I'm used to that and I know Bossier like the back of my hand, so I have no problems with that. I will still be late, but not nearly as late as those fools who just sat there in traffic waiting to move.
That's what makes the world go around. If everyone liked the same place, it sure would be awfully crowded there!

My wife knows Bossier real well. I make sure I have either her or my Garmin Nuvi with me when I go there or I'm subject to getting lost.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:18 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,528,870 times
Quote:
And the only time I hate traffic is when there is an accident and you can't go anywhere.
Unfortunately, in Chicago it's possible for there to be no accidents, yet you still can't go anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas