U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2017, 08:37 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,073,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Our baseball boys did it last night; pulled another one out of the bag in the 9th inning.
I watched the entire game on SEC Network and it was a gem !
I really enjoy watching a hard throwing pitcher throw strikeouts and Stephan sure didn't disappoint.

That ballpark is sure a beautiful park !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 09:07 AM

2,184 posts, read 3,609,136 times
Hi guys, just checking in since it's been a while for me. After I couldn't find a job in Arkansas that paid enough to support us we decided to move back to the upper Midwest, and we're in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area now. Miss Arkansas badly, of course, but have already found a couple spots around this region that almost resemble the Ozarks.....especially the driftless zone down in the southeastern part of Minnesota and western Wisconsin. This has helped to ease the pain of our Arkansas dreams going unrealized....especially since Minnesota is such a beautiful state to begin with. Anyway.......the Arkansas forum helps keep the memories of our time there fresh, and I will never stop dreaming of that home in those beautiful Arkansas hills. I don't care what anyone says - there's no place like Arkansas anywhere. It more than stands on its own. I'll keep stopping in from time to time.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:18 AM

62,467 posts, read 68,487,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Hi guys, just checking in since it's been a while for me. After I couldn't find a job in Arkansas that paid enough to support us we decided to move back to the upper Midwest, and we're in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area now. Miss Arkansas badly, of course, but have already found a couple spots around this region that almost resemble the Ozarks.....especially the driftless zone down in the southeastern part of Minnesota and western Wisconsin. This has helped to ease the pain of our Arkansas dreams going unrealized....especially since Minnesota is such a beautiful state to begin with. Anyway.......the Arkansas forum helps keep the memories of our time there fresh, and I will never stop dreaming of that home in those beautiful Arkansas hills. I don't care what anyone says - there's no place like Arkansas anywhere. It more than stands on its own. I'll keep stopping in from time to time.
Please keep us posted on your new life. I guess now, it is easy to understand why so many seniors here are from Wisconsin and MN. Maybe someday and sooner rather than later you will be able to call NWA your home. Good luck.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:32 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,073,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Do like I did............spend your working years in Minnesota and put up with the harsh winters.

Retire to the Ozarks of Arkansas as soon as you are able.

I can't bash MN too much as my entire family ( kids/grandkids/siblings) are there.

Old 05-14-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Do like I did............spend your working years in Minnesota and put up with the harsh winters.

Retire to the Ozarks of Arkansas as soon as you are able.

I can't bash MN too much as my entire family ( kids/grandkids/siblings) are there.
Minnesota is an amazingly beautiful place as well, as I'm sure you know. Yes, the winters are going to be brutal, but we're originally from Michigan, so it's not like we don't know what we're in for. We are excited to have snow during Christmastime again.......especially the kids - obviously.

I like your thinking though, David. An Ozarks retirement suits me just fine. I would even like to finish my career down there if the wages ever come up, but that's probably still a long way off in my field.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:53 AM

another stormy, bad night: I hope everyone is ok and you had no damage of any kind. It looks like this may continue until tomorrow morning. The tornado warning call came to us last night, twice. Luckily we didn't get one and it is light enough now to look outside. Everything looks just fine, just soaking wet. this has been quite a spring to say the least, but I guess we can't complain too much, we have had so many nice, calm springs in a row. We were due to something like this.

Old 05-20-2017, 07:30 AM

1,218 posts, read 666,134 times
I have seen more hail this Spring than all my previous years on earth combined. Not just in Arkansas either, on my trip south last weekend, I was in a hail storm around McComb MS on the interstate. Last night, it hailed twice. Hailed the night before, and another dozen times this season. I sleep in an upstairs bedroom right under the pitched metal roof with two skylights above. It's a rude awakening when the hail wakes you up in the middle of the night.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:34 AM

to anyone wondering if this is normal for AR. let me assure it is not. Yes, we always have a few tornado watches or even warnings here in NWA. you can count on some hail each year and yes, wet springs which is what we want for our garden but constant rain and hail, so much you want to head for the nearest lumber store to purchase wood to build an ark no. In 9 years of living here, this may be the worst we have seen. The only other bad year was the year of the Joplin tornado.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:26 AM

1,218 posts, read 666,134 times
I'm hoping this round of storms we just had was the caboose for the severe weather. The rivers have been dangerous much of the spring also. I'm betting this has really hit the canoe rentals hard around here. There have been so many weekends that the Buffalo has been closed. It's currently at flood stage and rescues are happening right now. It was closed last weekend and at flood stage also.

How much you want to bet we'll now have a very dry summer with droughts? I say that because I've noticed in the past that one extreme season leads to others. Who knows though, maybe it could be a cooler summer than average. I think we'd all welcome that.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
I'm hoping this round of storms we just had was the caboose for the severe weather. The rivers have been dangerous much of the spring also. I'm betting this has really hit the canoe rentals hard around here. There have been so many weekends that the Buffalo has been closed. It's currently at flood stage and rescues are happening right now. It was closed last weekend and at flood stage also.

How much you want to bet we'll now have a very dry summer with droughts? I say that because I've noticed in the past that one extreme season leads to others. Who knows though, maybe it could be a cooler summer than average. I think we'd all welcome that.
Not to diminish the significance of the accompanying dangers severe weather brings, but I'm glad to see the state getting this rainfall, because in the 2 years we spent doing getaways to Arkansas there were some type of drought conditions at least half of that time. Just hate to see such a beautiful, lush region fall prey to droughts. Dry stream beds, low lakes, non contrasted fall colors, etc. North Georgia, where I lived for 20 years, is similar in terrain to western and NW Arkansas, and they've had the same issues over the past decade or so.

Pray everyone down there stays safe and that you have a beautiful, green spring and summer, followed by an amazing and colorful fall!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas