U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2017, 01:57 PM

9,029 posts, read 10,118,503 times

Advertisements

I watched it on the SEC alternate channel that Directv carries. They don't carry my locals but I can watch Arkansas football. For Homecoming I would think the team would put forth a better effort, but still it's a win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 04:12 PM

2,300 posts, read 3,836,878 times
Hard to complain about any win at this point, but obviously a very disheartening effort against a team that was 1-7 and in their first year as an FBS school. To add more perspective, Arkansas State actually throttled Coastal 51-17 earlier this year in Jonesboro.

I also didn't appreciate that the players were showboating and dancing around at the end of the game once they had barely escaped a potentially debilitating defeat for the program. One would think they'd realize the level they've sunk to and be a bit more humble.

But......they did manage to come from behind and win for the 2nd straight week. They're obviously not playing anywhere near their potential, but at least they aren't quitting. The worst win is still always better than the best loss.

On to Baton Rouge....

Old 11-05-2017, 07:04 PM

10,104 posts, read 6,484,691 times
There were way more empty seats in the stadium than you'd expect to see at a homecoming game on a beautiful fall day.

One of my neighbors tried all week to sell his tickets, didn't even set a price, just said "make me an offer". On Saturday morning he went on Next Door and tried to give them away. No takers.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:47 AM

65,044 posts, read 72,965,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Hard to complain about any win at this point, but obviously a very disheartening effort against a team that was 1-7 and in their first year as an FBS school. To add more perspective, Arkansas State actually throttled Coastal 51-17 earlier this year in Jonesboro.

I also didn't appreciate that the players were showboating and dancing around at the end of the game once they had barely escaped a potentially debilitating defeat for the program. One would think they'd realize the level they've sunk to and be a bit more humble.

But......they did manage to come from behind and win for the 2nd straight week. They're obviously not playing anywhere near their potential, but at least they aren't quitting. The worst win is still always better than the best loss.

On to Baton Rouge....
I agree with what you have to say except I do understand their dancing around, they had to be thrilled after the way they played for 3 plus quarters.

Biscuitmom,

Well in all fairness, but I do get what you are saying: the game was supposed to a run away and this happened to be a busy weekend for a lot of people. People did not just not show up for Homecoming, there were other reasons. I don't think homecoming are as important as they used to be. We have 2 alums, right in our family, both have season tickets and neither went. They rarely miss a game, even traveling to many of them.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:39 PM

10,104 posts, read 6,484,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I agree with what you have to say except I do understand their dancing around, they had to be thrilled after the way they played for 3 plus quarters.

Biscuitmom,

Well in all fairness, but I do get what you are saying: the game was supposed to a run away and this happened to be a busy weekend for a lot of people. People did not just not show up for Homecoming, there were other reasons. I don't think homecoming are as important as they used to be. We have 2 alums, right in our family, both have season tickets and neither went. They rarely miss a game, even traveling to many of them.
Our observation was the city was full and buzzing with homecoming events and visitors. They just didn't seem to turn out for the football game.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:37 AM

Arkansas LSU game at 10am? Which is 9am here. Gosh that's an early game. Please win please please please.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Arkansas LSU game at 10am? Which is 9am here. Gosh that's an early game. Please win please please please.
11 a.m. central time kickoff, Jim. 10 a.m. Mountain.
Woo Pig!

Old 11-10-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
11 a.m. central time kickoff, Jim. 10 a.m. Mountain.
Woo Pig!
Ah ok. The ESPN thing said 10am so I thought gosh that's early for folks partying all night in the red baton to get up. I forgot they adjust for my local time zone.

Old 11-11-2017, 04:01 PM

I had hope until the 2nd half.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I had hope until the 2nd half.
I hate to say it, but the reality of the situation is that Austin Allen just isn't anywhere near as good a QB as his brother was at UA. Austin holds the ball too long and can't read a defense like Brandon could. Now granted, Brandon had a better team around him, and Austins teams had a ton of injuries. The offensive line never came together in front of Austin. Ragnow, an All American center who is from my current area in Minnesota, got hurt and then Froholdt went down yesterday too. They had already lost Cornelius at WR and a slew of running backs. That said, it's reached the point where Austin doesn't look capable of being the leader of this team. He plays as if he expects to get pummeled and you just can't have that. Unfortunate, but it is what it is. I thought Bielema waited way too long to put Cole in yesterday......it's his team now, and although he's still very raw he has a fight in him that the team desperately needs at this juncture. The emerging question will be does Cole remain the future if Bielema is not retained? A new coach would likely come in with a new course to sail. As much as the offense has struggled this year, though, the rebuilding emphasis still has to be on the defense.....because they haven't stopped anybody in years now. They're so bad it's not even worth dissecting.

As for yesterday.....it was LSU. They always have a beast of a defense, and Death Valley is one of the toughest places to play in college football. It was a lot to expect this Hogs team to go down there and win given the state of the program.

No boot this year. Next Saturday: Mississippi St. in Fayetteville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas