U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2018, 09:39 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,881,202 times

Advertisements

It has even been cold here, but only down to 13 degrees at the lowest. Our central heat ran constantly for 2 days and it was still cold in here! (I live in a leaky older house.) It's warming up now...finally!

If I ever move to Jasper I will have to have a tight, well-insulated, small home and a wood stove! I can't stand being cold. But I know that this extreme cold snap is fairly unusual for Jasper and won't last long, most likely. We went to the cabin in December a few years ago and were able to get out and hike in the middle of the day, with hats and coats and gloves on. (it got up in the upper 50s). That was the year we went to Devil's Den....what a beautiful place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 12:31 PM

1,551 posts, read 959,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
It has even been cold here, but only down to 13 degrees at the lowest. Our central heat ran constantly for 2 days and it was still cold in here! (I live in a leaky older house.) It's warming up now...finally!

If I ever move to Jasper I will have to have a tight, well-insulated, small home and a wood stove! I can't stand being cold. But I know that this extreme cold snap is fairly unusual for Jasper and won't last long, most likely. We went to the cabin in December a few years ago and were able to get out and hike in the middle of the day, with hats and coats and gloves on. (it got up in the upper 50s). That was the year we went to Devil's Den....what a beautiful place!
We have a wood stove, but the 26' ceiling height isn't helping. I think it does help in the summer but not in the winter. It's a split level. Our bedroom is what's on the second floor, has no heat to it and is the hottest room in the house. Those vaulted ceilings are very popular but are not efficient at all.

Old 01-06-2018, 05:37 AM

67,347 posts, read 77,062,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
We have a wood stove, but the 26' ceiling height isn't helping. I think it does help in the summer but not in the winter. It's a split level. Our bedroom is what's on the second floor, has no heat to it and is the hottest room in the house. Those vaulted ceilings are very popular but are not efficient at all.
so true about the vaulted ceilings: our living room has them, i don't know how high but it seems, unless we have our little space heater or our fireplace going the room is always cold. I will add the positive side is our living room is always comfortable in the summer.

Just checked the weather here, finally the morning is almost to 20 degrees, it is 18 right now.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:15 AM

How is the weather where you live and how well have the weather people been about the conditions the past few days? Here, accurweather keeps telling us some accumulation here in Bella Vista but they haven't hit it right once. We have had a handful of flurries, very little has stuck more than a few minutes and no accumulation. Wish I could get a job where I could be wrong more than right and get paid>

Old 01-15-2018, 05:32 AM

1,551 posts, read 959,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
How is the weather where you live and how well have the weather people been about the conditions the past few days? Here, accurweather keeps telling us some accumulation here in Bella Vista but they haven't hit it right once. We have had a handful of flurries, very little has stuck more than a few minutes and no accumulation. Wish I could get a job where I could be wrong more than right and get paid>
I had some snow Sunday, enough to turn the ground white and build up in spots, not sure if the snow today is going to get to me or not. Tonights low is 0 with wind chills about -15 so it's a repeat of New Years Eve.

I've since bought a couple extra space heaters and replaced the seals around my exterior doors. This cold will again be accompanies by winds, and when you live up on top of a mountain, those winds come in a lot stronger.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:26 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,048,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It's been in the 50's and sunny, since September I've have 2 whole inches of snow here. My local goofy tv weatherman puts the same graphic up week after week. Sun, highs 50's lows 20's.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
It's been in the 50's and sunny, since September I've have 2 whole inches of snow here. My local goofy tv weatherman puts the same graphic up week after week. Sun, highs 50's lows 20's.
well it is snowing here, pretty hard right now, but even then they got it wrong because they said it would start overnight: didn't. Then said stopping at 7am, how could it stop if it never started, then it was going to be just a dusting. I wonder what kind of duster they us?

Old 01-15-2018, 12:48 PM

10,387 posts, read 7,139,729 times
Interesting article on migration to AR, lots of stats.

Arkansas sees influx of out-of-staters in 2017

Old 01-16-2018, 07:33 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,048,053 times
A friend told me this morning 5" of snow in White Hall, all state offices closed due to snow.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
A friend told me this morning 5" of snow in White Hall, all state offices closed due to snow.
As far as I know all the school districts are closed as well. At 7am the only one that had not addressed closing in our region was Fayetteville. I don't know if they finally did announce or not. How can it be so beautiful and yet so miserably cold? Right now, according to accuweater it is -2 in Bella Vista with wind chill -10.
Snow wise, we probably have a couple of inches is all. This is the perfect day to clean the fridge, spend lots of time on the computer and maybe catch up on some reading. Tomorrow it should warm up to about 28.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or