Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2009, 01:29 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,205,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nan5623 View Post
RogMar ~~ you are onry!!
Yup....

There's a "Time Share Resort" in a town near me that sits on a pretty good size lake. Lots of good fishing for the tourists, and row boats and canoes to take out.

Nice place, for what it is. Nice rustic cabins with every amenity, etc.

So.....there's a private club in town with a restaurant and bar. Back about 6..7 years ago, I'm in the bar indulging, and talking with an ol' boy that had struck up a conversation.

At one point, I say, "What do you do?", and he takes a drink and says, "Well......the last two years I've been supplementing cattle with picking up snakes".

??

I pressed...of course.

I find out that his job is to go to the resort early in the morning, turn over a long row of canoes, and get the snakes out from under them before the tourists come down to frolic.

He'd chase off the "good" ones (whatever a 'good' one is), and kill the copperheads, water moccasins, and the occasional rattlesnake.

He said if a tourist found a snake under a canoe, they wouldn't come back, so the resort had to have someone to take care of business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 12:15 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nan5623 View Post
I just got back from a wonderfully relaxing 10 days in Arkansas & Tennessee ~~ wanted to share with ya the house in FOX, Ark that I was looking at:

1815 Meadowcreek, Fox AR - Trulia
Gorgeous and only $125k with the wooded hills and river and pond. Where I live you'd pay at least twice that.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:52 PM

837 posts, read 2,248,116 times
will it

EVER

stop raining

Old 10-29-2009, 07:57 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,357,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-b View Post
will it

EVER

stop raining
And when it is cold enough for the white stuff, we won't get any precipitation.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:55 PM

807 posts, read 2,514,538 times
Quote:
will it

EVER

stop raining
I honestly don't think that it will. We've actually dodged the heavy rain and bad weather here so far.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
will it

EVER

stop raining
It's bad here.

The Strawberry breached a week ago, and hasn't gone back down.

The Spring has breached, and Hardy is seriously in the hurt locker with no end for another day, possibly 3-4" more. Mass evacuations over thereand they're sandbagging city hall.

All the low water bridges closed some time ago, effectively turning a 30 minute trip into town into a 1 1/2 hour trip for some.

They're saying tomorrow is going to be clear and nice, which on one hand is good because we've got a chili supper over at the fire station, and on the other hand, the fire dept guys haven't slept for a couple of days now doing mutual aid rescues.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:01 PM

82 posts, read 223,856 times
Default Rain, rain...go away!!!

I'm typing this at the library in Hardy and we were blown away by the Spring River. I have this "touristy" urge to go take some close pix but sanity reared it's head..luckily!

We've been camping in our 35 year old camper and she's holding up like a champ. We are doing great but are tired of all the rain as we can't get much done outdoors. Rain...

Between 5 a.m. yesterday and when I checked the rain gauge this a.m., we got 4 and a half inches of the wet stuff.

Hey RogMar...that ravine/drainage ditch is a wet weather creek and I even found a small wet weather spring in the area of t that we'd like to eventually pond up.

Well, I need to go do some other checking in so take care All and I'll be back in a few days, or so!

Dawn

Old 10-31-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip-n-Bit View Post

Hey RogMar...that ravine/drainage ditch is a wet weather creek and I even found a small wet weather spring in the area of t that we'd like to eventually pond up.
I wish you luck on that. I have a small stream that's in a sizeable...."holler". It would make an ideal large body of water, but my "dirt guy" was looking at it, and the rock walls at certain parts of the holler, and didn't give me a good prognosis.

He felt pretty sure there's a cavern in there somewhere, and I'd just be diverting water into it.

One of these days I'm going to post pictures of my neighbor's pond. Large, and very nice, and holds water for about 4 days after it rains. Then it's dry as a bone.

Ya never know until you dig it/dam it.

I'll give you guys a call this week. We'll get a cup of coffee and solve a world problem or two.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:19 PM

522 posts, read 1,405,049 times
Happy Halloween!

Old 10-31-2009, 01:41 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
things here are such a mess from the rain cleaning the leaves off the trees too fast we are actually hiring someone to clean up the yard. This is a first for us...

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas