U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 04:03 PM

58 posts, read 249,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by millie61 View Post
I am also from the UK but would not want to live in Arkansas
Then stay were you are ! Love people making statements based on what other people think and say.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:33 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,111,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlrfo4 View Post
Then stay were you are ! Love people making statements based on what other people think and say.
My statement was based on going to Arkansas several times and having a Son who is Stationed there.
Obviously you live in Arkansas.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:42 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,111,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanettew View Post
Do some investigative reading, please, ('red tops' don't exist in Arkansas) and check when was the last time any Arkansas police or security personnel actually blew up their own subway car* - later murdering an un-armed construction worker from Brazil with eight bullets to the head in an embarrassing attempt to blame him for 'jumping a barrier'.
*While this is happening, telling the Queen's SUBJECTS outside the tube that it's just a POWER MALFUNCTION.

Want a visitor's brochure and a state map?

Blessings,
Nanette
<><
Do you live in the UK ? or is this what you have read in the USA newspapers ??

Old 03-11-2008, 01:49 AM

140 posts, read 422,633 times
Default Arkansas what a Refreshing Surprise

My Wife and I moved to No Central Arkansas,(Yellville,FLippin area), a little over 3yrs ago, and before lived in Mountain Home,and Lakeview ,AR.We did move from large metro areas, tired of Rat race and a growing bureaucracy that choked us . I even worked in Harrison,AR for a few months- the town Harrison is going thru constructive ,positive changes, a Fedex Hub moved there,which includes diversity, and the city in its Bylines or City Charter, publicly Denounced Racial Prejudice ,which was covered by News stations- so ignore the few sorry small minded ,primates,that haven't learned to get along in this wonderful world that G-D , gave us.
Now we have experienced nothing but kindness, caring acts from almost all that we have met. We are Hobby Farmers in a small way and anything extra we give to Foster Homes, Food banks, local families ,(due to gas costs).I am not Tooting our horn, just describing the inspiration that comes From this ,"Natural State", to help one another.
If you are interested in CLean water, Air, Safe place to live,improving Schools, growing your own good quality food, Wildlife, Lakes, Rivers, Caves, Woods, more Freedom , then your welcome to join us . Best WIshes .

Old 03-11-2008, 08:02 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,977,827 times
Default Why come at all?

I am forever amazed by people who move to an area and then expect the natives to "change". If a person has done some research and does not like what they find, why go there? Stay where you are and make the people currently around you miserable. Razorbacks will not be changing their ways anytime soon and will most likely treat you as you treat them. So, if you come to Arkansas with a bad attitude, then i am quite sure that your prediction of not liking it will come true. As I tend to be the happy-go-lucky type and a freindly sort, i have been treated wonderfully each and every time i go to Arkansas. Your visit will be what you make of it.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:01 PM

36 posts, read 216,761 times
I love Arkansas. I am a Louisiana native and love to spend as much vacation time in Arkansas as I possibly can. I have been wanting to move to Arkansas for the past 10 years but, have yet to commit. I especially am fond of the Ozarks (NWA), it's scenery and the people. I have found the people there to be very friendly with lots of southern hospitality. However, if you don't have the southern hospitality to give back then, you will probably not like it there, along with many other Southern States!

Old 03-20-2008, 10:40 PM

736 posts, read 1,430,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
I am forever amazed by people who move to an area and then expect the natives to "change". If a person has done some research and does not like what they find, why go there? Stay where you are and make the people currently around you miserable. Razorbacks will not be changing their ways anytime soon and will most likely treat you as you treat them. So, if you come to Arkansas with a bad attitude, then i am quite sure that your prediction of not liking it will come true. As I tend to be the happy-go-lucky type and a freindly sort, i have been treated wonderfully each and every time i go to Arkansas. Your visit will be what you make of it.
Check out the many forums on city-data.com and you will find this is pretty universal. It seems to be especially true of many from the northeastern U.S. who are very socio-centric and condescending. People look to leave an area and when they get to another area they promptly start to complain and never can internalize that it is they who are the interlopers, that no one asked them to drop in on their area to live. Many people in this country are among the most culturally biggoted, omniscient (they think), self-centered people in the world, especially as they make comments about people and areas they know nothing about, especially those from parts of the northeastern U.S.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:08 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,977,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisgarber1 View Post
Check out the many forums on city-data.com and you will find this is pretty universal. It seems to be especially true of many from the northeastern U.S. who are very socio-centric and condescending. People look to leave an area and when they get to another area they promptly start to complain and never can internalize that it is they who are the interlopers, that no one asked them to drop in on their area to live. Many people in this country are among the most culturally biggoted, omniscient (they think), self-centered people in the world, especially as they make comments about people and areas they know nothing about, especially those from parts of the northeastern U.S.
AMEN!

Old 03-21-2008, 04:00 PM

1,661 posts, read 4,362,398 times
Default There are multiple Arkansas

OK, I've been going through these Arkansas threads about "I'm thinking about moving there", for awhile.

Lest any unqualified insults may come my way, let me tell you a little about me so the insults may be more qulaified.

I live in Izard county. Very, very rural. I live on one of the big hills, with cattle farmers, hay farmers, and a few chicken operations.

I have two degrees, and my wife has one. My family mainly lives in TN and KY, but I was born in Southern IL.

I went to the Chicago area and worked for over 20 years, and then called it quits and moved to AR (where my relatives *aren't*).

We are hillbillies.

Of the many different "Arkansas" that exist, most folks posting to move here don't want this one. We hunt, fish, shoot a lot, have "neighborhood" barbecues, "pick" on one another from time to time, "josh" a lot, and do a lot of "leg pullin'".

In my county, and the adjoining one, Sharp, there are definite, serious, enclaves.

There are the towns that people have migrated from the north and settled in, like Hardy, Cherokee Village, Horseshoe Bend, etc.

I chuckled in one of the other threads when somebody said that their parents looked at Cherokee Village to retire in but the people were not receptive.

Oh-yeah-howdy-bob!!

There are also the towns that have stayed pretty much non-transplant, such as Melbourne, Evening Shade, etc.

In Arkansas, you can live any way you want. Any way. There are floods of people that come here from Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota.......and they move to one of the enclaves and form their "Michigan Club", "Wisconsin Club", etc.

They socialize, and live with people from their home state, and shun us "hill folk".

I belong to the same supper clubs that they do, and it is very amusing to sit at a table and hear a table full of people talk about how great it is to live here, except for the "hillbillies" and "rednecks". Insulting the waitress when she walks away, saying stuff like "I wish these people would learn how to talk".

Oh....hell yeah!!! We hear you!

Makes me want to jump up and yell, "BOO!!!.....y'all".

Now, a lot of these folks on here looking to move here would do good in one of these towns, or Jonesboro, or Blythville, or Mountain Home....

The problem is, us "hillbillies" aren't going to leave, and you've got to put up with us at the WalMart, or grocery store.

I note in the papers that when I read the Sheriff's log, the crimes are in those same cities that the state "clubs" are in. Coincidence?

We don't have crime where I live. It would not be prudent to come onto a hill where *everybody* knows *everybody*, what they drive, what time they go to bed, get up, what they drive, and when they see a truck turn down your road they don't know, they call you and tell you it's coming.

Believe me, we own a *lot* of guns, and shoot pretty darn good.

Neighborhood watch?? Shucks, this was going on long before some genius thought that one up.

Now.....I'm not bragging, believe me, I'm illustrating. The last year I worked Imade $265,000. Since then I've trickled $25,000 a year off my investments and lived very well.

I eat a lot of venison, turkey, armadillo, and racoon, because I want to. Yes, I have plenty of steaks and chops too.

I wear t-shirts, jeans, and work boots. The mice have eaten all my ties out in the shop building.

My farm is the equivelant of a state park wher most people come from. 150 acres of trees, a creek, a stocked pond, tons of wildlife, and clean air.

The occasional broken fence when the neighbors cattle eat my shrubberys, but that ain't no big thing.

I stop in the middle of the road, and talk with one of my neighbors unril another truck comes up.

I drive a tractor and pull a bush hog, stopping to send a copperhead to heaven every now and then.

We make deals on a handshake, and it's more binding than a contract.

I don't mind people from other places moving in. Ther's a place for all here somewhere. Even on my hill if you can afford it and can keep your mouth shut.

But folks, don't come to the country and think they're gonna run water and sewer for ya. Paved roads are still 50 years off.

We like this life. It fits real good. If you need a Michigan club, go find one. Just don't ***** about us when we come into town.

I'm always friendly to "carpetbaggers that" are friendly to me ;-)

Ya'all come down, now, ya' hear?

Old 03-21-2008, 04:28 PM

452 posts, read 1,491,839 times
That was the problem with Hot Springs Village when it first got started...the retirees from "up North" brought their ways of doing things with them and expected there would be no objection from the folks who were already here. In the early eighties, we were constantly hearing from "the locals" about "those damn yankees" or even "the Village idiots". Sad but true.

Now, it's not so bad. We live in a small retirement community with several northerners and I don't hear anyone complaining about the way things are done in Arkansas. They all wanted to get away from the cold weather and higher prices and they're quite content.

Now days, it seems the younger folks who want to move here are looking for a life style that we take for granted and until I start bragging about this town and state, I tend to forget how lucky we are. There are other places in the states that are obviously great places to live but I think my roots are too deep to be pulling up now. And it's SPRING TIME in the OZARKS and the OUACHITA MOUNTAINS!! Which, to the non-initiated, means the dogwoods and redbuds are in bloom!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or