U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 05:29 PM

5,612 posts, read 13,245,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
OK, I've been going through these Arkansas threads about "I'm thinking about moving there", for awhile.

Lest any unqualified insults may come my way, let me tell you a little about me so the insults may be more qulaified.

I live in Izard county. Very, very rural. I live on one of the big hills, with cattle farmers, hay farmers, and a few chicken operations.

I have two degrees, and my wife has one. My family mainly lives in TN and KY, but I was born in Southern IL.

I went to the Chicago area and worked for over 20 years, and then called it quits and moved to AR (where my relatives *aren't*).

We are hillbillies.

Of the many different "Arkansas" that exist, most folks posting to move here don't want this one. We hunt, fish, shoot a lot, have "neighborhood" barbecues, "pick" on one another from time to time, "josh" a lot, and do a lot of "leg pullin'".

In my county, and the adjoining one, Sharp, there are definite, serious, enclaves.

There are the towns that people have migrated from the north and settled in, like Hardy, Cherokee Village, Horseshoe Bend, etc.

I chuckled in one of the other threads when somebody said that their parents looked at Cherokee Village to retire in but the people were not receptive.

Oh-yeah-howdy-bob!!

There are also the towns that have stayed pretty much non-transplant, such as Melbourne, Evening Shade, etc.

In Arkansas, you can live any way you want. Any way. There are floods of people that come here from Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota.......and they move to one of the enclaves and form their "Michigan Club", "Wisconsin Club", etc.

They socialize, and live with people from their home state, and shun us "hill folk".

I belong to the same supper clubs that they do, and it is very amusing to sit at a table and hear a table full of people talk about how great it is to live here, except for the "hillbillies" and "rednecks". Insulting the waitress when she walks away, saying stuff like "I wish these people would learn how to talk".

Oh....hell yeah!!! We hear you!

Makes me want to jump up and yell, "BOO!!!.....y'all".

I wish you would this is just awful. I'm glad my grandmother taught me better manners than this.

Now, a lot of these folks on here looking to move here would do good in one of these towns, or Jonesboro, or Blythville, or Mountain Home....

The problem is, us "hillbillies" aren't going to leave, and you've got to put up with us at the WalMart, or grocery store.

I note in the papers that when I read the Sheriff's log, the crimes are in those same cities that the state "clubs" are in. Coincidence?

We don't have crime where I live. It would not be prudent to come onto a hill where *everybody* knows *everybody*, what they drive, what time they go to bed, get up, what they drive, and when they see a truck turn down your road they don't know, they call you and tell you it's coming.

Believe me, we own a *lot* of guns, and shoot pretty darn good.

Neighborhood watch?? Shucks, this was going on long before some genius thought that one up.

Now.....I'm not bragging, believe me, I'm illustrating. The last year I worked Imade $265,000. Since then I've trickled $25,000 a year off my investments and lived very well.

I eat a lot of venison, turkey, armadillo, and racoon, because I want to. Yes, I have plenty of steaks and chops too.

I wear t-shirts, jeans, and work boots. The mice have eaten all my ties out in the shop building.

My farm is the equivelant of a state park wher most people come from. 150 acres of trees, a creek, a stocked pond, tons of wildlife, and clean air.

The occasional broken fence when the neighbors cattle eat my shrubberys, but that ain't no big thing.

I stop in the middle of the road, and talk with one of my neighbors unril another truck comes up.

I drive a tractor and pull a bush hog, stopping to send a copperhead to heaven every now and then.

We make deals on a handshake, and it's more binding than a contract.

I don't mind people from other places moving in. Ther's a place for all here somewhere. Even on my hill if you can afford it and can keep your mouth shut.

But folks, don't come to the country and think they're gonna run water and sewer for ya. Paved roads are still 50 years off.

We like this life. It fits real good. If you need a Michigan club, go find one. Just don't ***** about us when we come into town.

I'm always friendly to "carpetbaggers that" are friendly to me ;-)

Ya'all come down, now, ya' hear?
Personally, I don't understand why a person would move away from an area and try to turn the new area into what they left. What's the point of moving? I am very much looking forward to getting away from Los Angeles, CA and Cali itself! I do not want to move to smaller version of what I'm leaving. But I did try to do as much research as possible to make sure I would fit in where I move.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:13 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Personally, I don't understand why a person would move away from an area and try to turn the new area into what they left. What's the point of moving? I am very much looking forward to getting away from Los Angeles, CA and Cali itself! I do not want to move to smaller version of what I'm leaving. But I did try to do as much research as possible to make sure I would fit in where I move.

Hey....CESpeed...it comes down to two things. Manners, and common sense. If one wants to move into a smaller, cheaper version of where they came from, they can probably find it here. One can actually come from Detroit, and live in a community of Michiganites, rather well.

However, remember that you are in the south, and there are *southerners* around.

When I went to Chicago to work, you can bet your bippee that I did my best not to say "y'all" anymore than I would slip and do. I didn't go to the restaurants and ***** because they didn't have catfish, tomato relish, or mudbugs.

I didn't make fun of people saying "youse guys", or "dem der guys". That's the way they talk, and I'm a guest.

I got made fun of from time to time, and I lived with it.

Yes, it curdles my milk to see outsiders come in with their superiorority attitudes and their gonna catapalt us into the 21st century, and we're so dumb that we can't figure out what goes on the menu and what doesn't.

I'll tell you this, though, there's a couple in one of the "southern" towns from California that run a surplus/discount store. Nicest darned people you'd ever want to meet. Whenecr i go in to get some stump remover, a blow dryer, or a bag of candy, I enjoy jaw-jackin' with them and they are thrilled about the radical difference between the people in Cali and the folks here.

"People are so friendly".

Yep, we sure are when given a chance.

Same town, a couple from Florida came in and opened an upscale espresso/fancy sandwich shop.

Same thing, they do well, everbody likes them, business is good.

Believe me, if you can get ol' boys to stop for an espresso after they've been out turkey hunting all morning, you're doing something right.

The absolute best part is, as ArKLexee said, the redbuds and dogwoods are blooming, the yellow daffodils are popping up everywhere, and I sat in the sunshine on my deck this morning and watched 6 deer and about 20 wild turkeys at my front feeder, all living on God's green earth, while I drank my morning coffee.

They sure ain't got that over in Cherokee Village.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:19 AM

452 posts, read 1,491,302 times
"and I sat in the sunshine on my deck this morning and watched 6 deer and about 20 wild turkeys at my front feeder, all living on God's green earth, while I drank my morning coffee"

YOU LUCKY LUCKY DUCK!!!! Makes me miss the three acres we had in Glenwood even more!!!!

Old 03-22-2008, 09:40 AM

Just don't ***** about us when we come into town.

Sorry, that should be "don't complain".

I'm working on this "PC" thang, right after supper

Old 03-22-2008, 10:19 AM

5,612 posts, read 13,245,233 times
I hate the whole "PC" thing. I like being open and honest. My thought is as long as you use some tact and you're telling the truth, a person should be able to say whatever they want. I hate having to guess at what a person means. So far, I'm finding the people in Ark (this forum) to be that and I love it.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:59 AM

33 posts, read 95,273 times
[quote=RogMar;3212677]OK, I've been going through these Arkansas threads about "I'm thinking about moving there", for awhile.

Lest any unqualified insults may come my way, let me tell you a little about me so the insults may be more qulaified.

I live in Izard county. Very, very rural. I live on one of the big hills, with cattle farmers, hay farmers, and a few chicken operations.

I have two degrees, and my wife has one. My family mainly lives in TN and KY, but I was born in Southern IL.

I went to the Chicago area and worked for over 20 years, and then called it quits and moved to AR (where my relatives *aren't*).

We are hillbillies.

Of the many different "Arkansas" that exist, most folks posting to move here don't want this one. We hunt, fish, shoot a lot, have "neighborhood" barbecues, "pick" on one another from time to time, "josh" a lot, and do a lot of "leg pullin'".

In my county, and the adjoining one, Sharp, there are definite, serious, enclaves.

There are the towns that people have migrated from the north and settled in, like Hardy, Cherokee Village, Horseshoe Bend, etc.

I chuckled in one of the other threads when somebody said that their parents looked at Cherokee Village to retire in but the people were not receptive.

Oh-yeah-howdy-bob!!

There are also the towns that have stayed pretty much non-transplant, such as Melbourne, Evening Shade, etc.

In Arkansas, you can live any way you want. Any way. There are floods of people that come here from Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota.......and they move to one of the enclaves and form their "Michigan Club", "Wisconsin Club", etc.

They socialize, and live with people from their home state, and shun us "hill folk".

I belong to the same supper clubs that they do, and it is very amusing to sit at a table and hear a table full of people talk about how great it is to live here, except for the "hillbillies" and "rednecks". Insulting the waitress when she walks away, saying stuff like "I wish these people would learn how to talk".

Now, a lot of these folks on here looking to move here would do good in one of these towns, or Jonesboro, or Blythville, or Mountain Home....

The problem is, us "hillbillies" aren't going to leave, and you've got to put up with us at the WalMart, or grocery store.

I note in the papers that when I read the Sheriff's log, the crimes are in those same cities that the state "clubs" are in. Coincidence?

We don't have crime where I live. It would not be prudent to come onto a hill where *everybody* knows *everybody*, what they drive, what time they go to bed, get up, what they drive, and when they see a truck turn down your road they don't know, they call you and tell you it's coming.

Neighborhood watch?? Shucks, this was going on long before some genius thought that one up.

Now.....I'm not bragging, believe me, I'm illustrating. The last year I worked Imade $265,000. Since then I've trickled $25,000 a year off my investments and lived very well.

I eat a lot of venison, turkey, armadillo, and racoon, because I want to. Yes, I have plenty of steaks and chops too.

I wear t-shirts, jeans, and work boots. The mice have eaten all my ties out in the shop building.

My farm is the equivelant of a state park wher most people come from. 150 acres of trees, a creek, a stocked pond, tons of wildlife, and clean air.

The occasional broken fence when the neighbors cattle eat my shrubberys, but that ain't no big thing.

I stop in the middle of the road, and talk with one of my neighbors unril another truck comes up.

I drive a tractor and pull a bush hog, stopping to send a copperhead to heaven every now and then.

I don't mind people from other places moving in. Ther's a place for all here somewhere. Even on my hill if you can afford it and can keep your mouth shut.

But folks, don't come to the country and think they're gonna run water and sewer for ya. Paved roads are still 50 years off.

We like this life. It fits real good. If you need a Michigan club, go find one. Just don't ***** about us when we come into town.

Ya'all come down, now, ya' hear?[/quote
Sounds like a Hank Wialliams Jr song.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:31 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,972,769 times
[quote=autumn trails;3226436]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
OK, I've been going through these Arkansas threads about "I'm thinking about moving there", for awhile.

We are hillbillies.

Oh-yeah-howdy-bob!!

Ya'all come down, now, ya' hear?[/quote
Sounds like a Hank Wialliams Jr song.
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-05-2008, 02:47 PM

113 posts, read 561,779 times
Default trivia

I've heard theres a difference between a "yankee" and a "damn yankee" from an ol' friend when I lived in Hot Springs many years ago. He said that a yankee is one who comes down from up north and goes home again, while a damn yankee is one who comes down south and stays, bringing his/her ways with them.

As for me, when I transplant myself again to Arkansas, I just want to be a hillbilly in an ol' pickem up, live in the Ozarks, go fishin', eat jumboliah, hog jawls and crawdads,and get along well with y'all!

One of the funniest things I ever saw was someone in a big foam rubber cowboy hat on their head, comin' down the street with New York license plates on their car. If it were me, I'd ditch those plates, quick!

Old 04-07-2008, 01:14 PM

452 posts, read 1,491,302 times
It might just be that I don't get out much anymore...but the "yankee" term doesn't get thrown around much any more, derisively so, that is. What happens is, a lot of us enjoy their company whilest they're here and, if we managed to get close to 'em, we're sad to see them move back up north when they realize that they NOW want to be near their grown-up kids and grandkids. It happens all the time.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkLexee View Post
...but the "yankee" term doesn't get thrown around much any more, derisively so, that is.
I hear it used as a statement of a person's mindset. Attesting to their endearment to the south and southern lifestyle, combined with their willingness to assimilate into ones environ.

A person who constantly complains about the snakes, spiders, heat, and humidity, turns their nose up at local things, shuns the general populace, and don't help out when the bad times hit (read: tornados & floods),will generally earn the "yankee" tag.

Don't have to come from the north to be called a yankee, anymore.

Around my parts, it's the worst thing you can call a person, and if you're "calling them out", the proper challenge, enticing one to attempt to strike you, is..."You ain't nuthin' but a yankee!".

Then don't forget to duck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or