U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 08:01 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,363,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
One day I would truly love to share a cup of coffee with you.

Peace

BillR
Thank-you.

I'm always available via e-mail which is on my info page.

The area you are speaking of in AR has a lot of attractive possibilitys. There has been a ton of development through the area from Hardy to NWA, but there's still room for seclusion if one deisres that. When I drive into Hardy and see the construction going on up in the hills, I wonder what "recession" I keep hearing about.

Mountain Home is also a good example of "Not too much". The summer population swells over there, but it's not over-developed and many houses are tucked discretely in the trees and are easily overlooked.

Keep us posted on your progress, Bill, and ping me if you're going to be in the area.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:50 PM

11 posts, read 24,212 times
Hi RogMar and everyone else who posts here. Everything is going OK here in Kansas City but I really enjoy reading posts by people living in Arkansas. I enjoy reading about the mountains, animals, flowers in the yards, rivers, etc. As a child there is no greater place to live than Arkansas. I was really sorry to read about how some of the clicks in the Arkansas schools were excluding some of the new kids moving in. We did not have those in the 60's but I know times have changed.

I am seriously looking at the top north central part of Arkansas to move back to. I have been looking for social work jobs in Westplains, Missouri, Salem Arkansas, and Batesville, Ark. There are actually some jobs in Westplains. If anyone hears of anything in the area for a social worker please let me know.

Rog, I check the state registry and they are not hiring at this time but I appreciate so much all your efforts to help.

Anything new with you and your wife? Anything new in Melbourne with the Miller, Cooks or Mosers?
I always look forward to your posts.

Gailla

Old 07-14-2009, 03:02 PM

8,140 posts, read 12,532,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
I spent some time in Arkansas a few years ago. It was a wonderful place, and a very positive experience overall. I agree that the countryside is beautiful, although I actually stayed in Little Rock. I was impressed with LR; although there's lots to do there and it seems like a big city, I actually felt quite safe.

The folks I met in Ark. were friendly, hospitable, sweet, Christian, and very ashamed of the Clintons (to which I said "don't feel bad"–we [Ohio] gave the world Jerry Springer!) and I generally felt a good connection with just about everyone I encountered there.

Some close friends of mine later moved to NE Ark. so who knows; maybe I'll be headin' back soon to visit
now...would it have been a big deal to you if they weren't Christian? How do you guys feel about jews? I live outside of NYC and one of the biggest reasons why I love it here so much is that LI has a lot of jews- it's a very jew-friendly place and there is a lot jew-involvement.

I feel Southern states are both lacking in the # of jews and the way they feel about them. Correct me if I am wrong please.

(I realised you are not from ARK...this is directed at everyone, I guess).

Old 07-14-2009, 03:19 PM

39,075 posts, read 23,184,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
now...would it have been a big deal to you if they weren't Christian? How do you guys feel about jews? I live outside of NYC and one of the biggest reasons why I love it here so much is that LI has a lot of jews- it's a very jew-friendly place and there is a lot jew-involvement.

I feel Southern states are both lacking in the # of jews and the way they feel about them. Correct me if I am wrong please.

I'm not sure what kind of response you want. There most certainly are Jewish people who live in Arkansas. I don't think they have many problems, at least I haven't heard of any problems. Personally, I can't say that I have any feelings about Jewish people. What sort of feelings are we supposed to have?

Old 07-14-2009, 04:37 PM

69,382 posts, read 79,598,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post

I am not sure if you want an answer or if you want to open up a whole new discussion about Jews and the south. First of all, there are many southern states with large Jewish populations. Yes, we have jews in AR, (by the way it is AR not ARK) of course we do not have as many as in larger states with more metropolitan areas, but that doesn't mean people have any problems with others regardless of someones religion or nationality. Our son in law is Jewish, our younger granddaughter thought she may want to convert and talked to the rabbi at the University. She did change her mind, but knowing thier was a Jewish temple in Fayetteville was important to her. My hair dresser happens to be a Muslim, I don't think this bothers anyone here. She is good at what she does and is the sweetest thing ever.

Back to your comments about the south and Jews, have you visited Miami recently, or any other city in Florida? Certainly there are lots of Jews living in that state. How about Atlanta or Dallas? When American Airlines re-located their headquarters to Dallas several years ago, along with Penney's relocating, along came many employees, of which a large number were Jewish. Maybe you do not consider these cities southern?

The comment you were referring to about lots of Christians, you took out of context I think: my guess is the poster was referring to good, God fearing people, regardless of their faith.

I hate to say this, but maybe you have a slight chip on your shoulder or know very little about anyplace outside of NYC and LI? We are not living in 1955, even the backward, hillybilly states have progressed past outdoor plumbing.

Nita

Old 07-14-2009, 06:20 PM

18 posts, read 39,197 times
for the record, there is no temple in Fayetteville-services are held in a church. one is being built but as of now none exists. in Bentonville services are held in a trailer thing.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:19 PM

69,382 posts, read 79,598,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsmom View Post
for the record, there is no temple in Fayetteville-services are held in a church. one is being built but as of now none exists. in Bentonville services are held in a trailer thing.
ok, maybe not a temple, but services. I stand corrected. My point is, some people see an area in one light, others in another.

Nita

Old 07-14-2009, 08:57 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,700,307 times
There has been a Jewish population in Fort Smith for around 100 years.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:49 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,980,473 times
Would someone please pass the Gafilta Fish and lox to go with my turnip greens and catfish????? Oh to be Jewish in Arkansas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-15-2009, 08:59 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,363,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Oh to be Jewish in Arkansas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
One good tornado followed by an Arkansas summer would make that '10,000 years of suffering' thing look like kid's play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or