Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 06:26 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,946,252 times

Advertisements

[quote=Lt. Dan;3235589]
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumn trails View Post
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cut out the "jr" part and you've got my vote!

Old 05-02-2009, 08:42 PM

11 posts, read 28,459 times
RogMar,

Your funny!!

Gailla

Old 05-02-2009, 10:15 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailla Moser View Post
RogMar,

Your funny!!

Gailla
Well......!!

Thank ya Gailla,

"I'm here all week"

BTW, welcome to the forum. Sit down...kick yer shoes off...and tell us what's on your mind.

We don't bite.

Well......watch out for Bull Winkus.

jus' joshin'.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:41 PM

27 posts, read 80,830 times
Smile You need help

You will be ok, but you still need help.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:45 PM

Smile You need help

You need help, but you are ok. At least you are honest about how you feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach View Post
HAHA well put. I am in Russellville for work. beside being a dry county and the bible beltway it's not bad. I would live here but all the people that are into church and preach to me I think I would get into a fist fight from them being annoying. I guess that is what happens when you transplant a PA guy into a Ned Flanders environment I am just amazed at the culture difference. Weird doesn't begin to describe it. but lots of nice people when their not preaching. LOL I wonder what they think of me I bet I walk into work and they will start splashing that church water on me to get the demons out.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:46 PM

41 posts, read 76,389 times
I've lived in Florida and Michigan and I can tell you it's better here than either of those hellholes!

Old 05-04-2009, 01:50 AM

Thumbs up I couldnt have said it better!!!!

That is what I am talking about!!!! I love country like that and when i retire from the military then you can bet I will be back in the country as well. Keep it real!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
OK, I've been going through these Arkansas threads about "I'm thinking about moving there", for awhile.

Lest any unqualified insults may come my way, let me tell you a little about me so the insults may be more qulaified.

I live in Izard county. Very, very rural. I live on one of the big hills, with cattle farmers, hay farmers, and a few chicken operations.

I have two degrees, and my wife has one. My family mainly lives in TN and KY, but I was born in Southern IL.

I went to the Chicago area and worked for over 20 years, and then called it quits and moved to AR (where my relatives *aren't*).

We are hillbillies.

Of the many different "Arkansas" that exist, most folks posting to move here don't want this one. We hunt, fish, shoot a lot, have "neighborhood" barbecues, "pick" on one another from time to time, "josh" a lot, and do a lot of "leg pullin'".

In my county, and the adjoining one, Sharp, there are definite, serious, enclaves.

There are the towns that people have migrated from the north and settled in, like Hardy, Cherokee Village, Horseshoe Bend, etc.

I chuckled in one of the other threads when somebody said that their parents looked at Cherokee Village to retire in but the people were not receptive.

Oh-yeah-howdy-bob!!

There are also the towns that have stayed pretty much non-transplant, such as Melbourne, Evening Shade, etc.

In Arkansas, you can live any way you want. Any way. There are floods of people that come here from Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota.......and they move to one of the enclaves and form their "Michigan Club", "Wisconsin Club", etc.

They socialize, and live with people from their home state, and shun us "hill folk".

I belong to the same supper clubs that they do, and it is very amusing to sit at a table and hear a table full of people talk about how great it is to live here, except for the "hillbillies" and "rednecks". Insulting the waitress when she walks away, saying stuff like "I wish these people would learn how to talk".

Oh....hell yeah!!! We hear you!

Makes me want to jump up and yell, "BOO!!!.....y'all".

Now, a lot of these folks on here looking to move here would do good in one of these towns, or Jonesboro, or Blythville, or Mountain Home....

The problem is, us "hillbillies" aren't going to leave, and you've got to put up with us at the WalMart, or grocery store.

I note in the papers that when I read the Sheriff's log, the crimes are in those same cities that the state "clubs" are in. Coincidence?

We don't have crime where I live. It would not be prudent to come onto a hill where *everybody* knows *everybody*, what they drive, what time they go to bed, get up, what they drive, and when they see a truck turn down your road they don't know, they call you and tell you it's coming.

Believe me, we own a *lot* of guns, and shoot pretty darn good.

Neighborhood watch?? Shucks, this was going on long before some genius thought that one up.

Now.....I'm not bragging, believe me, I'm illustrating. The last year I worked Imade $265,000. Since then I've trickled $25,000 a year off my investments and lived very well.

I eat a lot of venison, turkey, armadillo, and racoon, because I want to. Yes, I have plenty of steaks and chops too.

I wear t-shirts, jeans, and work boots. The mice have eaten all my ties out in the shop building.

My farm is the equivelant of a state park wher most people come from. 150 acres of trees, a creek, a stocked pond, tons of wildlife, and clean air.

The occasional broken fence when the neighbors cattle eat my shrubberys, but that ain't no big thing.

I stop in the middle of the road, and talk with one of my neighbors unril another truck comes up.

I drive a tractor and pull a bush hog, stopping to send a copperhead to heaven every now and then.

We make deals on a handshake, and it's more binding than a contract.

I don't mind people from other places moving in. Ther's a place for all here somewhere. Even on my hill if you can afford it and can keep your mouth shut.

But folks, don't come to the country and think they're gonna run water and sewer for ya. Paved roads are still 50 years off.

We like this life. It fits real good. If you need a Michigan club, go find one. Just don't ***** about us when we come into town.

I'm always friendly to "carpetbaggers that" are friendly to me ;-)

Ya'all come down, now, ya' hear?

Old 05-04-2009, 01:03 PM

437 posts, read 929,471 times
stick to Northern Arkansas. it's beautiful. lots of stuff to do outdoors

Old 05-06-2009, 08:14 PM
pau

45 posts, read 120,837 times
I live in Greenbrier about 40 minutes from Little Rock. This countryside is heaven. Conway is also a good place I hear but I chose Greenbrier countryside where I knew I had plenty of room to build an artist studio. My studio was finished 1st day of spring. There was not any problem getting my studio built or finished like in a larger city or in city limits.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:11 PM

32 posts, read 194,426 times
Default RogMar Thank you for this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
OK, I've been going through these Arkansas threads about "I'm thinking about moving there", for awhile.

Lest any unqualified insults may come my way, let me tell you a little about me so the insults may be more qulaified.

I live in Izard county. Very, very rural. I live on one of the big hills, with cattle farmers, hay farmers, and a few chicken operations.

I have two degrees, and my wife has one. My family mainly lives in TN and KY, but I was born in Southern IL.

I went to the Chicago area and worked for over 20 years, and then called it quits and moved to AR (where my relatives *aren't*).

We are hillbillies.

Of the many different "Arkansas" that exist, most folks posting to move here don't want this one. We hunt, fish, shoot a lot, have "neighborhood" barbecues, "pick" on one another from time to time, "josh" a lot, and do a lot of "leg pullin'".

In my county, and the adjoining one, Sharp, there are definite, serious, enclaves.

There are the towns that people have migrated from the north and settled in, like Hardy, Cherokee Village, Horseshoe Bend, etc.

I chuckled in one of the other threads when somebody said that their parents looked at Cherokee Village to retire in but the people were not receptive.

Oh-yeah-howdy-bob!!

There are also the towns that have stayed pretty much non-transplant, such as Melbourne, Evening Shade, etc.

In Arkansas, you can live any way you want. Any way. There are floods of people that come here from Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota.......and they move to one of the enclaves and form their "Michigan Club", "Wisconsin Club", etc.

They socialize, and live with people from their home state, and shun us "hill folk".

I belong to the same supper clubs that they do, and it is very amusing to sit at a table and hear a table full of people talk about how great it is to live here, except for the "hillbillies" and "rednecks". Insulting the waitress when she walks away, saying stuff like "I wish these people would learn how to talk".

Oh....hell yeah!!! We hear you!

Makes me want to jump up and yell, "BOO!!!.....y'all".

Now, a lot of these folks on here looking to move here would do good in one of these towns, or Jonesboro, or Blythville, or Mountain Home....

The problem is, us "hillbillies" aren't going to leave, and you've got to put up with us at the WalMart, or grocery store.

I note in the papers that when I read the Sheriff's log, the crimes are in those same cities that the state "clubs" are in. Coincidence?

We don't have crime where I live. It would not be prudent to come onto a hill where *everybody* knows *everybody*, what they drive, what time they go to bed, get up, what they drive, and when they see a truck turn down your road they don't know, they call you and tell you it's coming.

Believe me, we own a *lot* of guns, and shoot pretty darn good.

Neighborhood watch?? Shucks, this was going on long before some genius thought that one up.

Now.....I'm not bragging, believe me, I'm illustrating. The last year I worked Imade $265,000. Since then I've trickled $25,000 a year off my investments and lived very well.

I eat a lot of venison, turkey, armadillo, and racoon, because I want to. Yes, I have plenty of steaks and chops too.

I wear t-shirts, jeans, and work boots. The mice have eaten all my ties out in the shop building.

My farm is the equivelant of a state park wher most people come from. 150 acres of trees, a creek, a stocked pond, tons of wildlife, and clean air.

The occasional broken fence when the neighbors cattle eat my shrubberys, but that ain't no big thing.

I stop in the middle of the road, and talk with one of my neighbors unril another truck comes up.

I drive a tractor and pull a bush hog, stopping to send a copperhead to heaven every now and then.

We make deals on a handshake, and it's more binding than a contract.

I don't mind people from other places moving in. Ther's a place for all here somewhere. Even on my hill if you can afford it and can keep your mouth shut.

But folks, don't come to the country and think they're gonna run water and sewer for ya. Paved roads are still 50 years off.

We like this life. It fits real good. If you need a Michigan club, go find one. Just don't ***** about us when we come into town.

I'm always friendly to "carpetbaggers that" are friendly to me ;-)

Ya'all come down, now, ya' hear?
Although I was born in Mississippi I grew up around lakeview AR. just out from Mountain Home back in the days when they were building the Norfork and Bull Shoals dams as my father worked on both the Norfork and Bull Shoals dams.

Just as Bull Shoals was finishing up we moved away and actually out of state and I soon joined the USN never living in Arkansas again. I have always wanted to move back to the state that I loved so much.

During that 50 or so years since moving out of AR I have lived in many of the states in the great country of ours and traveled and visited the rest including Hawaii and Alaska and i can honestly say that no state has ever made me feel as strong an attachment as I did in AR.

There have been many reasons why i never made the move back there but all is not lost as there is still the possibility that I may yet make that move I have long wished for. I am retired and my wife is also. She retired from teaching here in MS but she is only 59 and is thinking about returning to teach at least until she is 66 or 67 for Social Security purpose. Since she can teach in another state and still draw her MS Teachers retirement she is inquiring about positions in both central and NW Arkansas. At the moment it looks fairly promising so there is a chance that we may be making that move.

I of course would prefer somewhere in the norther part of the state say from Hardy all the way to the NW corner but could be OK with a move to north of LR around the Lake Conway area.

I can remember enough about AR and I have lived in several other states enough to understand that the state or it's people does not adjust to fit into what you want them to be. You need to be willing to adjust to your new surroundings if you ever expect to become a part of the local community.

If I had my real dream to come true and I was not 70 years old I would love to find me a place out from any town with a few acres and a stocked pond with plenty of woods all around and a plain old fashioned AR family about a quarter mile down the road as my neighbor. However the fact is that health wise I could no longer handle that particular situation as it is not readily accessible to good health care and in particular heart health care. One can still dream and wish though and that is what life is built upon.

I always enjoy reading your post regardless of what topic they are posted under as the true Arkansas humor and wisdom filter through them and are so refreshing to see. One day I would truly love to share a cup of coffee with you.

Peace

BillR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas