U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-19-2007, 09:53 AM

388 posts, read 1,245,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Magrack, I know HSV stands for Hot Spring Village, but what does BB and CV stand for? Just curious> I also didn't mean to suggest these planned communities are the way to go, they certainly aren't for everyone, I only meant if someone is worrying about being an outsider these areas are so new no one was raised there. I don't know how I would feel about living there either. We did like Bella Vista and yet I share some of what you are saying. For either of our daughters this is the life style they love. Both live in new communities now and are happy. As for being accepted, especially when you move to a state where most of the residence were born there as were their parents and grandparents it can be an adjustment. As the new comer, it is up to you to fit in, not up to the locals to accept you from the start. Nita
BB was a typo (fat fingers ) I meant BV (V being next to the B...) CV is Cherokee Village, north central AR, east of Mountain Home in the Ozarks.

I understand the concern of people moving to Arkansas and being worried about fitting in. Thirty or forty years ago, that would have been a real concern as the state was almost entirely populated by folks whose families had been here for generations, but as America became more mobile and the more national our economy became, Arkansas began to change along with the rest of the country, and will continue to do so.

How could it not?

It bothers me when I see people perpetuating the stereotype, as though Arkansans are an insular society.

While it is true that gaining acceptance in some of the smaller towns is a bit more daunting than in a more urban area, it is not difficult.

All one has to do is treat people as one would like to be treated. The neighbors will be curious, but once they figure out that you're just regular people, they'll accept you for who you are.

The problem with the planned communities that cater to transplants is they insulate newcomers from the natives and cause an appearance of being stand-offish (JMO).

Here's the thing, Arkansas is a very lightly populated state, especially considering the natural beauty of the place. The cost of living compares favorably with anywhere else in the country.

As soon as the "boomers" start retiring in serious numbers, the population can double or even triple in a few short years and if the transplants don't learn to appreciate what Arkansas and Arkansans is/are the potential for "spoiling" the place, is enormous.

I'd hate to see it.

I could try to persuade people to not move here in hopes of maintaining the lifestyle I've chosen, but that horse is already out of the barn.

I'd rather spend my time telling people that Arkansas is a great place to live, but it's not for everyone.

As a state, it's pretty conservative, and as such, changes are a long time in the making.

If newcomers expect to wander in and effect changes to fit what "they" are used to or what "they" desire, it's just going to make life pretty miserable for everyone.

I'd just as soon see folks who can't accept what Arkansas "is" not even bothering coming here. It'll save everybody a lot of bother.

The bolded part of your quote is it in a nutshell. Were I to move to NYC or Omaha or Rome, it's my responsibiliy to adjust to living there as much as possible and the natives would have to be willing to accept that I'm attempting to be a good neighbor; so should it happen here, but will not if a newcomer doesn't make the first effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 02:04 PM

9 posts, read 55,080 times
I lived in NWA for about 6 months and from what I saw, I loved Springdale, Bentonville and Bella Vista. I lived in 2 other cities since then, but what I can say is that folks from those areas I mentioned are really nice. It can get humid but it's alright, and the winter wasn't horrible either.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:35 PM

8 posts, read 22,987 times
born and raised here in AR, been in several parts of the state on vacation (as well as several other states in the country), and my favorite places are in Northern Arkansas. I particularly love Eureka Springs and Mt. View. I've also heard that the Bull Shoals Lake area is beautiful. Trees, mountains, lakes, rivers, valleys; the scenery is unbelievable! The weather is not as hot in northern Arkansas as it seems to be in the southern part of the state. Hot Springs is a beautiful town too, but too hot in the late part of the summer.

Old 06-30-2007, 07:26 PM

2 posts, read 5,316 times
Smile Very well put!

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie_shannon View Post
To anyone thinking about moving to Arkansas, if you are a miserable person where you currently live, you will be miserable anywhere. And that's not any state's fault. Arkansas has pros and cons about it like every state. It's not set in law that just because we are southerners we have to be overly polite. There are nice people and jerks everywhere too (CA included). People are suggesting that neighboring areas like Memphis, southern MO, and TX are extremely different---just because you cross some state line doesn't mean you've entered a whole new world. I grew up just outside of Memphis, but on the AR side. Crossing the TN line isn't something magical. The people aren't any different there. Tons of people working in Memphis live in Arkansas anyways. (So, some of these much more cultured folks are actually Arkansans and not from Memphis at all.) Some of you people that have posted on here (I have one in particular in mind, but I'm going to be a polite southern bell and not name names) sound like bigots. If you are getting odd reactions from a lot of people when you tell them where you are from, maybe it's just something odd about you. AR is not some third world country. Of course we have cable, DSL, cell phones that work, stores, etc. My point is---enjoy where ever you live. And if you don't---MOVE!
We moved to Mena, Ar. area year ago this month from Tampa Bay, Florida area. We left behind approx. 3 1/2 million people within 15 mile radius. Also property taxes that tripled in last 2 years. Home owners insurance that no one can afford to pay. And ROAD RAGE you would not believe!We were accepted into this community with open arms and felt right at home from the very start. I would recommend western Arkansas (Mena area) to anyone. We had some friends visit us last month and they will be living here as of next week. Anyone seriously considering moving here should come and see for themselves. Don't take the word of someone who is angry with life and is so down on everything.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:42 PM

47,317 posts, read 37,313,172 times
iffytiffy,

good for you: we feel the same, if we could put our house on the market tomorrow we would head for AR, but we have to wait til next spring. I am glad we have so much going on: time will fly by, I am sure.

Our daughter lives in Orlando (actually a town named Windermere) it is gorgeous, very upscale, behind gates, and a wonderful place to visit: I don't want to live there, we want a quiet area with some growth but still a slower pace of life.

There will always be those who think the glass is less than half full

enjoy,

Nital

Old 06-30-2007, 11:25 PM

27 posts, read 100,272 times
iffytiffy05 I'm pleased to hear that you like Mena. We will be moving there from AZ at the end of July. We will be leaving many of the things that you left in FL. We are looking forward to Mena.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:01 PM
NCN

13,938 posts, read 11,371,686 times
Go to google and click on images and do a search for Greers Ferry Lake and you will find water, mountains, and some real estate locations. Some of the homes in this area have breathtaking views of the lake.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:54 PM

1,921 posts, read 759,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Wow...All that trash along the roadways in SoCal makes those people WAY more environmentally conscious.... Been there, seen it. I've said it before and I'll keep preaching it, Arkansans WILL be suspicious and unfriendly of people who move in thinking they're better than the "natives."
Socal native here (transplant to Oregon, a real environmental conscience state). Arkansas may be the only state I can compare to my beautiful NW. I agree with the above comment and laughed when I heard that SoCal is environmentally conscience. That state is full of garbage, bad air, and snooty people. Your state is very special. Ark residents should be glad that most of us (not me) think your a bunch of rednecks. Please don't let the cat out of the bag. Send them to Texas. Im a Clinton loving tree hugging liberal (loved hope ark BTW) and I found the folks in Arkansas very nice. In fact, extremely nice. You want to go to a state that hates liberals, try wyoming. Yikes. Anyway God bless Arkansas. See you in about 15 years when I retire to Mountain Home.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:18 PM

47,317 posts, read 37,313,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
Socal native here (transplant to Oregon, a real environmental conscience state). Arkansas may be the only state I can compare to my beautiful NW. I agree with the above comment and laughed when I heard that SoCal is environmentally conscience. That state is full of garbage, bad air, and snooty people. Your state is very special. Ark residents should be glad that most of us (not me) think your a bunch of rednecks. Please don't let the cat out of the bag. Send them to Texas. Im a Clinton loving tree hugging liberal (loved hope ark BTW) and I found the folks in Arkansas very nice. In fact, extremely nice. You want to go to a state that hates liberals, try wyoming. Yikes. Anyway God bless Arkansas. See you in about 15 years when I retire to Mountain Home.
What a refreshing site after all that has been going on and been said in the past few days about Calif, Ar and places in-be-tween, even if you are a Clinton loving lib

Keep up your great attitude.

Nita

Old 07-10-2007, 08:20 AM

388 posts, read 1,245,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
Go to google and click on images and do a search for Greers Ferry Lake and you will find water, mountains, and some real estate locations. Some of the homes in this area have breathtaking views of the lake.
Nooooo.....

Keep sending people to NWA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas