U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 10:35 AM

7 posts, read 42,208 times

Advertisements

fayetteville is the nicdest place in Arkansas and definitely the friendliest and safest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2006, 02:40 PM

26 posts, read 72,796 times
Fayetteville does have a nice downtown, and it certainly is growing with "smart Growth".

Hot Springs and Ft. Smith also have very nice downtowns in Arkansas.

Old 02-14-2006, 09:26 PM

15 posts, read 112,047 times
Talking A balanced view of much of AR

I grew up in West Memphis (don't hold it against me). Lived in Memphis for 6 years (won't likely go back to live there) Lived in Louisiana (gross) for 3 years and have lived in Dallas for 7 years.
Of all places I go back and have the fondest memories of, it's Norther Arkansas. I have freinds in Hot Springs and the prettiest lake in that area is Ouachita. There's state run cabins that are the bomb and the lake is large, smooth as silk and not much junk to tear up your boat.
I personally wouldn't live IN Hot Springs, but would love to live on Lake O.

Another area "in the sticks" is Moutain View and Blanchard Springs in Northern AR. Just beautiful there, rainbow trout all year, bluffs 200' tall, water you can look clear to the bottom of a 30' pool. I'll stop there...

Regarding the "mr. pessimist" who responded to you first, I'm sure you would agree, an area is what YOU make it in most cases. My wife and I will one day go to live in northern A due to the beauty of outdoors. We're 35 and 41 and have a few more years of getting ready.

If you plan opening a biz, go to the larger towns (L.Rock, Jacksonville, Fayetteville, Hot Springs) If I had to pick amongst these, I'd pick Fayetteville. There's a college, decent airport (due to Walmart) and a bit more wealth per capita...
Median resident age: 26.9 years
Median household income: $31,345 (year 2000)
Median house value: $100,300 (year 2000)
Races in Fayetteville:

* White Non-Hispanic (84.0%)
* Black (5.1%)
* Hispanic (4.9%)
* Two or more races (2.4%)
* American Indian (2.3%)
* Other race (2.0%)
* Chinese (0.9%)
* Other Asian (0.6%)

Also, the education level is much better there since it has the largest college in AR
For population 25 years and over in Fayetteville

* High school or higher: 86.9%
* Bachelor's degree or higher: 41.2%
* Graduate or professional degree: 17.9%
Single-family new house construction building permits:

* 1996: 492 buildings, average cost: $92,200
* 1997: 265 buildings, average cost: $96,700
* 1998: 284 buildings, average cost: $89,800
* 1999: 386 buildings, average cost: $103,900
* 2000: 312 buildings, average cost: $127,600
* 2001: 280 buildings, average cost: $139,600
* 2002: 250 buildings, average cost: $160,200
* 2003: 623 buildings, average cost: $139,700
* 2004: 620 buildings, average cost: $150,900

Crime is average vs. 3 times national avg in L. Rock and Hot Springs

You can check out this website for great data....
http://www.city-data.com

Old 02-15-2006, 12:30 PM

3 posts, read 30,331 times
Thumbs up Just moved here from OC

Hi Tru,

I moved here to Mountain Home, AR a little over a year ago. I'm married with 4 boys ages 6-15. I lived in La Habra, CA....I was/am a native Californian. We moved here almost for the same reasons you're considering it. I haven't had the same negative feelings as stated by some. After selling our house in CA we were able to buy a much larger house with 7 acres for ALOT less than you would in CA. The people seem pretty nice, but of course you get a jerk every once in a while, no place is perfect. I have told many people here that I am from CA and the funny thing is most people I meet are from there too. i joke to my husband that the bulk of the population here is from some other state. My husband works in real estate and he is doing well. He really loves it here because now he is able to coach our sons baseball teams and has spare time to actually enjoy life. In CA we were both working so hard just to pay the mortage. Here we really get to enjoy our kids and our surroundings. I am not terribly religious. We don't attend any church, no one has ever said anything negative about that either. I don't know if you have and kids or are planning to have any, but the school here in Mountain Home is great. My sons are in the GATE program here just as they were in La Habra, but here it is much more challenging. I feel they are getting a much better education here. And you can check out my facts if you want, my sons attended Macy elementary in La Habra and it is rated very high....I was shocked how much more I liked these schools, because I loved Macy! My boys all like living here. Not sure about racism, because I am white and it's not like someone is going to just offer their views on that subject. BUT my brother-in-law(who is AfricanAmerican) came out for a visit last week because he, my sister and their daughter are considering moving here....and he had no problems. We brought him everywhere, no one attacked him. I am not saying there aren't racists here, but I know there are in California, if we are honest with ourselves, we'd admit those idiots are everywhere. Now for the weather.....being from Orange County and not Riverside I am use to a little humidity occasionally. Last summer here, around August, there were a couple of really humid weeks, but they weren't unbearable. You just don't go running around in it that's all! Also, moving here, I was looking forward to experiencing the changes in the seasons. In SoCal you really can't do that. Shopping isn't a big deal either. We don't have all the places of a big city, but you can shop online or from here, Springfield, MO is about 1h:45min away. The way I look at it, saves you money.
If you have any questions, after my long essay(sorry ) Please don't hesitate, I would be glad to help.

PS. My opinion, life is what you make of it. If you hate where live, I don't think you will say anything positive about it. Everyone I talk to loves it here, so I guess it's just who you talk to.

Old 02-16-2006, 09:28 AM

3 posts, read 25,425 times
Default Racists out there????

Hello all my family is thinking of moving to Mountain Home, Arkansas. I would like to know if any of you have seen or think that there would be a problem with racists out there. My husband is Mexican I am White and of course our daughter is half. I would hate to move out there and have my husband and daughter harrassed for being who they are. I would hate to move there and see that my daughter is treated differently in school from her other class mates. I currently live in Southern California where to tell you the truth I have NEVER seen prejudice out here towards Mexicans and I would hate to move from here and go somewhere where that is the way of life. I hope to hear back from all of you with VERY HONEST responses. I will not get my feelings hurt.

Old 02-16-2006, 08:59 PM

69 posts, read 201,282 times
Default research

Can't tell you for sure but you should first check the demographic information to determine the percentage of hispanic population.

Try right here at City-Data.com. Also the home web pages for each city usually has that info. The Census bureau is another way.

Good Luck

Old 02-18-2006, 01:31 PM

2 posts, read 28,855 times
Smile Best Place to Live in Arkansas?

We have lived in arkansas for about six 1/2 years. We relocated from East Texas.
If someone can afford it and wants to live near or on a lake, I suggest Hot Springs Village, a card gated community fifteen miles long. We have many lakes here in "the village" as it's called and Lake Balboa is Very beautiful and green/blue. The homes in the village range from 60,000 for a townhouse to $500,000, approximately. Huge variation and the taxes here are a joke.
The air is clean, there is no crime in the village, and there are many dozens of clubs and activities to join. We formerly had a new home on a golf course and there are many golf courses in the village; they are all Gorgeous, top rate courses! Our present home is on a hill surrounded by hundreds of acres of forest brimming with deer, it's 3300 sq feet and cost us $325,000. Then we added a $50,000 wing onto it. It's twelve years old, has a lot of hardwood flooring, huge kitchen with hardwood and Corian, 3.5 baths and a finished out basement that stays the same temp year around. Our electric bill in January was $153. The homes here are all electric.
Our house is about 3 miles from a nice sized grocery store, Hallmark shop, gas station with restaurant--a small shopping center. We are also about 2.5 miles from Lake Balboa with marina and gas station that sells some food items. Behind the gas station is a manmade beach and lake. The roads to all of these facilities are beautifully paved. We pay $87 a month for water, property owners' association dues and garbage pickup at the garage. They actually walk up our hill to pick it up at the garage. My husband rides ON his golf cart to some of the golf courses.
There are numerous restaurants outside the village front gate along with a new Walgreen's, Burger King, a very nice Chinese place, Sonic, Taco Bell,
KFC, Domino's, post office, jewelry store, a couple real estate offices--I can't name it all. A big Alco discount store, Fred's, veterinarian/groomer,
another grocery store and mountain views everywhere in between.
The weather here is quite nice but that is just my opinion. From March until May it's perfect. Like California. June thru September is usually hot and humid but with many coolish evenings. We get about 2 inches of snow and/or ice every February; that's it. Couple years ago we had a white Christmas instead.
I can't say that much about the friendliness part because we lived in Texas which is so incredibly friendly I doubt you could beat it! Plus, it seems that most people in the village are from Wisconsin, Minnesota and Nebraska!
They came down to get away from the heavy snowfall.
Now, the negative: our house is a 25 minute drive to downtown hot springs. The speed limit varies from 35mph to 50mph. Downtown is a scenic, interesting place. We have Bathhouse Row, very old renovated bathhouses that you can tour and have a massage. In front of one of them is an underground spring with smoke coming up from it year around. Across the street from the bathhouses are little shops and cafes that range from tacky and junky to nice and elegant. There are many art galleries. You will see tourists walking, some with a dog, and a generous amount of the poor; scruffy looking people you would not want to meet in an alley. This is one aspect of HS that was something I wasn't used to seeing. Nobody sleeps on the street--I saw some of that in Vancouver. We have old motels, many of them for sale and a few beautiful brand new hotels (Embassy Suites) and a new convention center. People here are friendly and nice but not quite so as in texas.
We have been happy here. WE had been living in Sun City, Texas but found too many rules there to suit my husband. And not enough trees, stores, or privacy gate. They Say they're gated but they aren't. Anyone can just drive right on in. I just Loved coming here and seeing these mountains!

Old 03-04-2006, 12:19 AM

139 posts, read 401,272 times
Default Best Place to live in Arkansas ?

Here is some tips from fellow displaced Californian :

Wife and i were tired of pace ,costs, shoot outs in LA Area so we moved near my wifes deceased Mother's Area in No.Central Arkansas- Mountain Home ,AR.
This City of 12k + citizens , with many from all over the country are moving to this heavy Boating, fishing area. The area is Booming for that last 3yrs, and will continue for at least another ten+ yrs. There are twin lakes here- Norfork and Bull Shoals with record trout and Bass, plus walleyes.
We bought a cute Cedar sided home on 5.5 acres for 113k in '05- now worth more due to short supply.

Ok- the only thing i have a hard time with is the "no-seeums"-Chigger bugs- but they dont bother my wife- so it depends on your chemistry- so i spray my clothes with strong insect repellent and skin with natural citronella type spray - or the new Off creme natural just came out .
We love most of our neighbors, even though we are Jewish and dont hide it - everyone has been reapectful for the most part. the only reason we are looking to move is my wife loves New Mexico , and i love Mountain areas so we are looking into it. Yes the Humidity is an obsticle, but with airconditioning or outings with feet in the White or Buffalo Rivers its cooler there and pleasent.
there is abundance of wildlife- Deer, Chorus Frogs,Turtles,BlueBIrds, Red Cardinals,Eagles, Reptiles,Road Runners(Yes! we couldn't believe our eyes),Wild Turkeys, Quail, and the Ground is alive with insects and Toads.
I phoned an aquaintence i met twice who owned a backhoe , that we needed to dig up a bad grey water tank underground and he just drove it over within an hour and dug it up!! Saved us a Bunch- People do help each other out here- grant you he is from Florida, and many i meet are from all over. I highly recomend someone staying in this area of Marion or Baxter Counties to see whats happnin- come early summer or spring with all the flowers out- or Fall with the colours on the trees!Gud Luck!

Old 03-15-2006, 04:07 PM

1 posts, read 21,846 times
Default Fayetteville Arkansas

Hi, I'm from NWA. Let me tell you this is one of the greatest towns to live in very friendly people and talk about the community growing!!! All the way from Bella Vista to Greenland business going up everywhere. We have Beaver Lake with some beautiful homes on it and did I mention the people ROCK. I have three children and we love to go camping. We have several rivers close by. The Buffalo is only an hour a way and so worth it. Fort Smith you want to stay away from most kids move to Fayetteville when they can from Ft. Smith. As for Mnt. Home, AR beautiful, quite town. 2 of the most beautiful lakes I've seen. If you are ready to retire this would be a great place. Not much to do there, not alot of restarunts. The town is growing though. Again i know alot of kids that have moved to NWA from Mtn. Home as soon as they can

Old 03-17-2006, 05:37 AM

1 posts, read 20,738 times
Default Diamond City AR

Good morning!

I am Kevin from Detroit, MI and I am considering buying some land in Diamond City AR on the Bull Shoals lake.

I would love to hear your opinion on that area of AR...it seems beautiful and full of water....a welcome home for a guy who grew up on the Great Lakes!

Thanks,
Kevin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas