U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2007, 02:52 PM

2 posts, read 10,214 times

Advertisements

My, your brush is very broad.

I was recently in Albany, NY, and was screamed at by a toll both operator for no reason. I don't hold it against every New Yorker.

If you hate Arkansas so much, why do you stay?

SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerg View Post
Moved here from Central New York State a few years ago. What I had heard about "Southern Hospitality" is simply not true. Outsiders, ESPECIALLY from the northeast, are discriminated against, and not made to feel welcome here. Now, this is not true for all people I have met. I have found some sweet people here. Most prejudices come from the long-time locals who don't like times to change and would rather be rude to you so that you will leave.
I love the weather, as compared to NY. And there are many new restaurants and stores developing. On the surface, the area looks fresh and promising. But, this area is lacking in cultural and arts activities, and technology too.

I don't feel very confident in the medical facilities.

Beware of Arkansas drivers......they are idiots!

The educational system is so far behind NY.

There is a large percentage of people that are not too bright, and ignorant.......and don't even know it.

I live in the Jonesboro area, so my experience relates this location. I've heard things are better in Little Rock and Fayetteville.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 02:55 PM

2 posts, read 10,214 times
Harrison. Thirty miles from Branson, hilly for the caves you want, land is still cheap, close to the Buffalo and the Mulberry.

SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitman View Post
I'm looking to relocate to Ar. but I'm not sure where my family will be best suited. My husband and I are early 30ties and our children's ages are 11,9,& 4. I would love to buy land with a spring fed creek, caves etc... We love hunting and outdoor activities such as camping, canoeing. Would like to be maybe an hour or 2 from Branson, 30 minutes to stores such as walmart, target, kols, movies, and restaurants. The school is important. My children go to a k-12 school which I like because they are together in one place. I would like a school that offers football.

I have read that some kids have not been easily accepted. I hope this isn't the case where we choose to live. My kids are kind, outgoing, and has been taught not to misstreat anyone. It would break my heart to move somewhere that my kids are not welcomed.

We are interested in finding a Baptist Church to attend. One that has couples with children around my age. It doesn't have to be a large church where I can't get to know everyone, but I would like to find one where my children look forward to going to worship the lord and meet other children.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 10-31-2007, 01:51 PM

2 posts, read 6,977 times
I moved here from California in 1992(had only driven through the state one time before that). I wasn't from California. I was just stationed there in the Army. Anyway, I've been here in Arkansas since then, and I love it here. I don't plan to ever move out if I don't have to.
For those who find the humidity here, bad, don't ever go to south Louisiana. If this humidity is bad, the swamps will be fatal.
The people here have been very friendly. Of course, I didn't come here and try to tell them they were doing everything wrong or trying to change everything.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:50 PM

77,813 posts, read 91,603,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourDeuce View Post
I moved here from California in 1992(had only driven through the state one time before that). I wasn't from California. I was just stationed there in the Army. Anyway, I've been here in Arkansas since then, and I love it here. I don't plan to ever move out if I don't have to.
For those who find the humidity here, bad, don't ever go to south Louisiana. If this humidity is bad, the swamps will be fatal.
The people here have been very friendly. Of course, I didn't come here and try to tell them they were doing everything wrong or trying to change everything.
And you have the right attitude: we have to accept what we are choosing to live with, not move in and ask people to adjust to something we moved away from. why did we leave in the first place? as for humidity, we are about to relocate to AR and yes we are dreading the snakes, spiders and humidity, but we survived 13 years in Dallas with the same humidity, 6 month long summers and temps much higher (average) than AR. We can't wait....

Old 11-05-2007, 02:10 PM

12 posts, read 39,415 times
Default West Little Rock is great

Living in west Little Rock is like any other upper class suburban area. In the zip codes 72223, 72135, and 72212, the average home price you find is probably going to be in the $400,000 to $800,000 range. Elsewhere, the prices are very affordable. The growth in Little Rock is to the north in places like Cabot and Conway, south like Benton and Bryant, and especially west like west little rock, maumelle, and the ferndale/roland area. The hills and small mountains are spectacular.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:56 PM

3 posts, read 10,628 times
Default Arkansas born

I spent most of my life in Arkansas before moving out due to a job change. I've now lived in Texas and Pennsylvania, so I do have something to compare it to.

The great things about Arkansas: hunting, fishing, Hot Springs (the city), development of the river market, small town feel, housing prices, land prices, west Little Rock.

The things I don't like about Arkansas: The job market is lacking compared to cities like Dallas (many educated youth move to Dallas for bigger pay checks), racism plays a roll in many aspects of life (cities you can live in, salaries/jobs to name a few), not much to offer outside of Little Rock.

The vast majority of my family still lives there, but I have no intentions of moving back...at least while I'm still a working American. It would be a great place to retire though.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:53 PM

7 posts, read 20,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by true559 View Post
I live in CA and want to relocate. The politics here are to liberal(slightly left of Stalin and Moa). Energy costs,taxes and various fees are through the roof. So much so that I can not afford to conduct business here anymore. From what I see on the net, Arkansas is my kind of place. I love the outdoors and friendly people. I would like to live lakefront or riverfront and near some mountains. Im not too concerned about real eatate prices. Everything there seems reasonable to me. Can any of you guys or gals from Arkansas recommend a nice place to live in Arkansas? I guess what Im asking is, If you could live anywhere in Arkansas, where and why?

Thx
Being born and raised in the big AR if I had to live any where in AR and wanted the great outdoors too. I would have to say northwest AR would be best and central AR would be second choice. DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT move to the West Memphis/Memphis area. I was raised in Searcy and Jonesboro and when my mom moved us to the area for her new job I went into shell shock b/c of the way many of the people in the area live. Do not get me wrong I love my home state and always will but to truly fall in love with AR you need a place that has a positive sense of community not the mess that is there.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:00 PM

3 posts, read 13,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerg View Post
Moved here from Central New York State a few years ago. What I had heard about "Southern Hospitality" is simply not true. Outsiders, ESPECIALLY from the northeast, are discriminated against, and not made to feel welcome here. Now, this is not true for all people I have met. I have found some sweet people here. Most prejudices come from the long-time locals who don't like times to change and would rather be rude to you so that you will leave.
I love the weather, as compared to NY. And there are many new restaurants and stores developing. On the surface, the area looks fresh and promising. But, this area is lacking in cultural and arts activities, and technology too.

I don't feel very confident in the medical facilities.

Beware of Arkansas drivers......they are idiots!

The educational system is so far behind NY.

There is a large percentage of people that are not too bright, and ignorant.......and don't even know it.

I live in the Jonesboro area, so my experience relates this location. I've heard things are better in Little Rock and Fayetteville.
I recommend NW AR or Little Rock metro cabot, conway, maumelle, benton, bryant, or west little rock. In the Little Rock metro, you have a variety of cultural environments to choose from. Little Rock area has everything to offer that a big city has with more entertainment on the way, at the same time you can have the feeling of a small town. Make a visit, I think you will be pleased. Oh but one more thing, there are some pretty idiotic drivers here lol that think they are in Dallas traffic.

Cityer_525

Old 11-20-2007, 12:40 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,224,459 times
There are also some pretty idiotic drivers in LR who think they're living in Possum Trot, 45mph on 630 in the left lane?!?!? Come on!

Old 11-20-2007, 02:20 PM

308 posts, read 1,524,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
There are also some pretty idiotic drivers in LR who think they're living in Possum Trot, 45mph on 630 in the left lane?!?!? Come on!
:lol: It's Possum City (aka, Cherry Valley). Get it straight. (Although I believe the speed limit there is considerably less than 45mph, so 45mph is probably doing good for them). :
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas