U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 02:58 PM

17 posts, read 73,803 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm Grani from northeast Arkansas.

I sure have enjoyed reading all these posts about Arkansas, my favorite State. I've lived here 60 years, and wouldn't be happy any place else. I've tried, and was so homesick I could hardly stand it.

You know, life is what you make it. And you can have exactly what you want out of life if you apply yourself. Decide first what you want. What kind of life you would be happy with, and go for it. Settle in a part of the state that has what you want out of life. From the Opra, Art, Intertainment...etc.

Me, I'm the laid back easy living type. I live in the very northeast corner of the State, by the Mississippi River. Its mostly rural where I live. Lots of beautiful cotton grown here. As well as millo, soybeans, corn, hay, but mostly cotton. There's nothing any more beautiful than seeing fields of white cotton in the fall.

I love to grow my own veggies, and make homemade jellies and jams. And my flower beds are awesome. I have just about every flower that will grow in Arkansas. Very little mowing needs to be done in my yard, its mostly all flower beds .

My friends tell me that I've set womankind back a hundred years with my canning and gardening. I love doing it. I find it so rewarding. Its spiritual for me.
And porch sitting. Have you ever just sit on the porch in the afternoons with a glass of tea, and just wave at the neighbors/people passing by? Its so plesant. Of course I know most everyone here. The Town I live in is very small. Population 1,136 the last I heard.

Now when I was younger, I wanted to do more things in life. Memphis is only 60 miles away. You can do most anything you want in Memphis. My Doctors are there. I shop there, and sometimes just ride up there to eat at a nice place. I like the Red Lobster.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I've traveled to most every State back when I was younger. I found something I liked in every one of them, and certainly enjoyed the scenery. But Arkansas is home. Its where I want to be. Its where I'm the happiest. I like to be happy, and I am happy. If I weren't happy, I'd change what ever it was thats making me unhappy. Cause I learned a long time ago, that life is what I make it.

May your day be special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2006, 06:04 PM

135 posts, read 486,738 times
Thanks for your post Grani. I am looking forward to moving where life is more laid back.

Old 05-05-2006, 06:42 PM

1 posts, read 10,965 times
I've lived in Springfield MO, and have recently moved to AR. Ravenesque's posts made me chuckle a lot. Obviously AR, or anywhere elsi in the midwest is not appropriate for your California sensitivites. I love the Ozarks and the people there. Chiggers are a pain in several areas. Actually I hope that people like Raven and other CA folks stay in their wonderful state. [mod]insult[/mod] So please leave the chiggers and the fish to us Ozarkians .... teyawhat!

Old 05-21-2006, 09:28 AM

2 posts, read 14,172 times
I moved to Arkansas from Chicago about 2 1/2 years ago. While it certainly is an adjustment, I'd say that I'm pretty happy here overall. I live in Van Buren, AR which is a nice, growing town near Fort Smith. Fort Smith and Van Buren are pretty nice. Northwest Arkansas is a really nice area as well. Hot Springs is a beautiful place as well. Those are the places to live here. While I miss the options of the big city, we drive to Dallas a few times a year. The people here are excellent and much more friendly than what I experienced in Chicago. The educational system is not as good overall, but there are still good options as long as you choose wisely.

I HIGHLY recommend anyone looking at colleges to consider the University of Arkansas - Fort Smith. This is a new university that has won national awards for education and campus grounds. They focus on students not research and have small classes. It is also the cheapest university in the state!

Old 06-03-2006, 10:04 PM

1 posts, read 10,943 times
Thumbs up Ozark Moves

Strictly in my opinion ... the best place to live in Arkansas is Eureka Springs! Humidity is minimal for the southern region due to the altitude of 1200-1400 ft above sea level. There is work available as Rogers, Bentonville, Springdale and Fayetteville are all within 1 hour. You are only minutes away from Beaver and Table Rock Lakes as well as great fishing on the White River. Eureka Springs is seasonal so I do have my moments! I lived in California then Colorado and now NW Arkansas. I am in Real Estate and I have many people come through interested in other very nice areas of Arkansas .... but none will have the altitude and minimal humidity as around the Eureka Springs area.
I moved here over 2 years ago from Colorado. Traveling from Memphis I passed through this area and fell in love with the "Little Switzerland" feel. I can just say for myself... there is no place like Eureka ... I believe it is Latin for.... "I found it".

Old 06-05-2006, 01:01 PM

15 posts, read 90,400 times
Does anyone know anything about Camden, AR? I have been to Hot Springs before and really loved it there. The scenery and lakes ares definitely beautiful! I am living right now outside of Houston and we maybe moving soon either to Camden or Memphis! Sounds like Memphis would be first choice judging by some of the posts here but would love anymore information if any on Camden?

Old 06-06-2006, 09:56 AM

2 posts, read 25,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by true559
I live in CA and want to relocate. The politics here are to liberal(slightly left of Stalin and Moa). Energy costs,taxes and various fees are through the roof. So much so that I can not afford to conduct business here anymore. From what I see on the net, Arkansas is my kind of place. I love the outdoors and friendly people. I would like to live lakefront or riverfront and near some mountains. Im not too concerned about real eatate prices. Everything there seems reasonable to me. Can any of you guys or gals from Arkansas recommend a nice place to live in Arkansas? I guess what Im asking is, If you could live anywhere in Arkansas, where and why?

Thx
Check out Cherokee Village for a nice place to live. We have seven lakes, two golf courses. About 150 miles from Little Rock or Memphis, low taxes, and cost of living. Property values are below state and national averages. Developed in the 50s as a retirement community and still going strong has about 4600 permanent residents but more weekends. Check it out. Good fishing, hunting, golfing, small shops etc.

Old 06-06-2006, 11:00 PM

9 posts, read 41,584 times
Good for you! I am happy that you found your place!

Old 06-08-2006, 04:20 PM

1 posts, read 11,000 times
Re: your relocation. This is not the place to come to work. If your ready to retire, its very good. We came from Illinois. We are near Ft. Smith and the Ok. border. 42 miles away is Fayetteville. It is no more humid here than in Illinois and what little bad weather they have is offset by the states natural beauty. There is an area called Holiday shores near the missouri border and there are Greers Ferry Lake, Heber Springs, Lake Quachita and Lake Dardanelle near Russellville, Ar, that is breathtaking. Just type in lakes, Arkansas and see what pops up. This is a non union, very souther baptist and voted for the village idiot from Texas. However, it is no worse nor no better than what is left behind. Attitude handles it all. Property taxes, tax rates, are dependent on what they call millage rates which is how they pay school funding. They do have personal property tax here but it is way less than what we paid for license & registratioin in Illinois. Mostly on motor driven vehicles. True they are clannish and true they are still living in the 1900's but that is part of its charm. The Boston mtns., Ozarks and Quachitas and the scenic vistas are all you could want. We purchased a new home and new cadillac after retiring here with our savings on utilities, etc. OUr water bill is about 22.00/month and our home taxes are 813.00 on a brand new 3brm. brick home. You automatically get a homestead exemption if you are the owner and primary resident of your home. Median salary/income about 33.000 per year. Good hospitals and were we are we can get on I40 that runs e/w or I540 that runs n/s and be anywhere we need to be. Some of the larger cities may be overrun but we are happy in our new corner of the world......We enjoy almost year round temperate weather and our furnace runs from about Nov. 30 to Feb 28 and the a/c doesn't kick in until about May 20 thru October so we are pretty darn comfortable. Just rent you a place for a month or so and look around......it's pretty and enjoyable with the right attitude......good luck

Old 06-11-2006, 05:22 PM
Bre

1 posts, read 11,257 times
Talking Best place to live in Arkansas

We are thinking of re-locating to Arkansas also. However, we have horses and cannot live in a gated comminity or lake community. Any suggestions? It sounds like everyone is recommeding either metro or lake which won't work for us. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas