U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 06:53 PM

6 posts, read 40,145 times

Advertisements

It might be too late to post this but wanted to throw in my two-cents worth. I've lived from Maine to south Texas. Can't say that I've disliked anywhere I've been or didn't like the folks that lived there. And I've met all kinds. My roots are in Arkansas now, my family began here many years back. But, I digress. Somehow over all these years, I never learned that northeners and southerners didn't like one another. I have loved our differences and reveled in them.

I was reared in cities and have spent most of my adult life in rural areas. After sixty plus years, it appears to me that our side of the world has become so homogenized that a city is a city and a village is a village no matter where we go in our country. Nowadays, there are only shades of differences. So, if you aren't as happy as a clam at high tide in Maine, you probably won't be as content as a spotted dog under a red wagon in Arkansas. Just my thoughts.

Catherine

P.S. The weather in Southwest Arkanasa is delightful. It's not humid 50% of the year and we dance in the street if we get two inches of snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2006, 06:27 AM

6 posts, read 40,145 times
True,

Here are two places I've seen online which might interest you. Try these links: Moderator cut: Sorry, no links to ads in this forum (use classified ads or pm)One is in in the country in southwest AR with 24 acres and the other is in northwest AR in a great village.

Cat

Old 10-23-2006, 04:12 AM

5 posts, read 16,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by true559 View Post
I live in CA and want to relocate. The politics here are to liberal(slightly left of Stalin and Moa). Energy costs,taxes and various fees are through the roof. So much so that I can not afford to conduct business here anymore. From what I see on the net, Arkansas is my kind of place. I love the outdoors and friendly people. I would like to live lakefront or riverfront and near some mountains. Im not too concerned about real eatate prices. Everything there seems reasonable to me. Can any of you guys or gals from Arkansas recommend a nice place to live in Arkansas? I guess what Im asking is, If you could live anywhere in Arkansas, where and why?

Thx
Dear true559,

Given your characterization of Californians, I would guess - off the cuff of course - that you would be happier living in a gated community (plug this term into any search engine, if you don't know what it refers to) where they keep liberal rabble at bay, as well as the poor, blacks, and hispanics (there may be a bit of redundancy in these categorizations ( : 7 ) ). There you would be sure to meet plenty of like-minded people with whom you could develop a warm affinity in which residents affirm each other's views on life.

I concede that this doesn't directly address your question regarding the best place to live in Arkansas, but I have a hunch that what you truly are seeking, true559, is not so much a geographical place with low taxes and the like, but rather, a homogenous social place (environment) in which you would thrive. The gated community is your ticket, I'm sure! And from a BBC special on gated communities in America that I recently saw on BBC World, hosted by the Pulitzer-Prize winning NY Times journalist, Charlie LeDuff, I gather that anyone who enthousiastically 'gets with the program' in a gated community (anyone who is willing to be a useful tool to those in power - and in a gated community, property ownership, not democracy, rulesl) has a rosy future, even persons of modest initial financial wherewithal. Given the massive influx of Latinos into California, most of whom are probably illegal immigrants, gated communities no doubt abound in your state, so you needn't even move out-of-state!

I hope that you find this useful (you may have moved already - I haven't read the other pieces of this thread, except for a cursory read of the first piece from the first respondent, a certain Ravenasque, which response helped to remind me why I escaped Arkansas in the first place!), if not exactly cordial.

Sincerely,
exarkansan

Last edited by exarkansan; 10-23-2006 at 04:30 AM.. Reason: Isn't it obvious?! - writing through such a small slot makes it difficult to spot spelling- and stylistic errors.

Old 10-23-2006, 05:39 PM

26 posts, read 128,839 times
It's a shame to hear that some people from Arkansas are giving Ravenasque a hard time about being an outsider. Good way to look at it is this: some people are so scared to step outside of their comfort zone and they envy people who are not. They have never traveled and have really never experienced much culture. That is okay, for some people, but when they have to be confronted with change that they did not choose, they can't handle it. They will adapt eventually, or retreat further from the rest of us. Either way, the "outsiders" are welcomed by those of us who embrace change and diversity. To True559, check out Beaver Lake in Northwest Arkansas. Some amazing lakefront property in a really great area of the state. I live in Bentonville and we spend a lot of time out there. There are some unbelievable homes out there and with what you can sell a home for in Cali these days, you could probably move here, pay cash for a house and still end up with a nice chunk of change in your pocket. My suggestion is to take a trip out here, especially this time of year and see for yourself. Northwest Arkansas is where it's all happening now. Let me know if I can help any further. Good luck!

Old 10-24-2006, 04:47 PM

11 posts, read 54,689 times
As far as Beaver Lake goes, where have you been? It's not safe to swim there. Read the Arkansas Times for the low down. Arkansas used to be "The Natural State". Now it is "The Chicken State". All of the waterways are affected by chicken house runoff, all the way out to the last dead end roads of Newton County, Boone County, etc.. Kings River used to be clean enough to drink from, about seven or eight years ago to be exact. Now it's not as clean, although it's still pretty nice.

My point is- telling someone to buy land on Beaver Lake is bad advice. I welcome outside agreements or disagreements on this point, just to get a consensus. jm

Old 11-01-2006, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 10,079 times
Question What's wrong with Conway?

Wow. I was thinking of relocating to Arkansas and was considering Conway due to it's moderate size and close proximity to Little Rock. Ravenasque's and rosied's posts are certainly troublesome. And some of the narrow-minded responses to Ravenasque haven't helped much either. Rosied, I was wondering if you'd be willing to expand a little bit? I know you might get attacked for nothing more than expressing your opinion, but I would definetely appreciate a little more insight as to why you're so unhappy with Conway? You know, I'm looking for specifics like racism, lousy schools, hard to find employment, etc. Or maybe you're just unhappy with your life and homesick? Please let me know even if you'd rather just e-mail me than make a public post (znjexotics@hotmail.com).
And to Ravenasque if you're still following this post please send me an e-mail and let me know what part of Arkansas you're in.
Thanks for you're help,
Phil

Old 11-01-2006, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 9,816 times
I am VERY confused and need HELP!! I having been living in South Florida for thelast year - I am originally from the UK. My husband and I are seriously considering relocating to Rogers AK. I already have a job lined up and we are about to make an offer on a Beaver lakeside property. Having read a few posts I am starting to have 'cold feet'. I love the 'country side' / small town look of the area BUT am concerned that being 'English' I wont be welcomed by the 'locals'. I have not visited and due to work committments will be forced to make a 'blind' move. What advice can you give me?? HELP??!!

Old 11-01-2006, 08:52 PM

26 posts, read 128,839 times
You will be SO welcome here. Do not worry that being English would make anyone welcome you any less. Northwest Arkansas is becoming so diverse and it's wonderful. There aren't many "locals" to speak of anymore anyway. I moved away from here about 6 years ago because I really didn't fit into the mold that seemed to be the norm. Last year, after visiting several times, I moved back because I could finally see something great happening. I am not going to get into detail about my beliefs on anything, but I'll just say I cannot tolerate unacceptance and closed mindedness. My husband is the same way and we want our son to be accepting of everyone. We have seen people really embrace the change that has taken place here. You would just be another great piece of the awesome mosaic Northwest Arkansas has become! If you are not comfortable jumping in with both feet, come visit for a week or so. It's beautiful here right now.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:47 PM

11 posts, read 71,721 times
I used to live in Hot Springs about 20 years ago. It was a poor state then and still the same. Sure there are some good old boys there but if you want to make a living I suggest not going there. My husband and I are at retirement age and looking to move from Orlando and Arkansas is not one to the places we plan on looking. I had a place on the lake and most of it is now taken up with timeshare or other hotels. don't believe what people say about it being a great state to live in. PLEASE go some where else to live.

Old 11-07-2006, 01:14 PM

135 posts, read 496,965 times
We will be moving to the Ozark mountain area, and will be driving through to check it out in a few weeks. We were wondering if anyone has the name of a good realtor in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas