Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2007, 05:05 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times

Advertisements

I just discovered this site and have been contemplating a move to Arkansas. I really appreciate the candid and honest comments regarding Arkansas that have been said on this thread. They are helping me make up my mind to move or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 06:56 AM

1 posts, read 4,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocnRobin View Post
Sometimes attitude is a little like 'location, location, location' in real estate - it can be 'everything'. I enjoyed your analogy.
Hello I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly but I'm trying to find out some info. on n.w. Arkansas , I have read a lot of statements and find it to be pretty pleasant but I have some concerns about humidity because I have lived on the w. coast all my life , I'm living in a small town Rogue river in so. OR. just outside of grants pass and me and my wife are thinking about the n.w. AR. area and she's a little concerned about tornados also , my daugrter and my son live in marshfield MO. and my daughter is going to have A baby girl next month and I really want to be closer so I'm excited but like I said we still have A few concerns. thankyou Jack.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:24 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,264,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-reasner View Post
Hello I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly but I'm trying to find out some info. on n.w. Arkansas , I have read a lot of statements and find it to be pretty pleasant but I have some concerns about humidity because I have lived on the w. coast all my life , I'm living in a small town Rogue river in so. OR. just outside of grants pass and me and my wife are thinking about the n.w. AR. area and she's a little concerned about tornados also , my daugrter and my son live in marshfield MO. and my daughter is going to have A baby girl next month and I really want to be closer so I'm excited but like I said we still have A few concerns. thankyou Jack.

Jack, there's been a TON of info on NWA posted within the last couple of weeks - I think if you will use the search feature and type in the town or specific concern, such as tornadoes, you'll come up with enough info to make you feel somewhat informed. Tornadoes are not as common in NWA as in the southern 2/3 of the state, if that makes your wife feel any better. And it IS humid, there's no doubt....but the closer you get to MO and the further away from the delta you get, it's gotta be better than some areas....surely???

Old 06-17-2007, 11:25 AM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,083 times
Fayetteville, was voted one of the top 10 places to live in the United States. And by the way someone should let "Ravenasque" know that most of the people that live here that are rude, happen to be yankees that have relocated!

Old 06-18-2007, 09:31 AM

388 posts, read 1,784,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
....Arkansans WILL be suspicious and unfriendly of people who move in thinking they're better than the "natives."...
Well spoke, and true of anyplace.

I left Arkansas when I was young and spent many years traipsing around the nation and living in other countries.

I have found people everywhere suspicious or unfriendly of transplants who unfavorably compare "here" with wherever they came "from" or who seemingly give the impression that the natives are somehow lessened by a lack of experience of living "there".

I dreamed of the day when I could return to Arkansas and enjoy what it is.

The thing transplants have to remember is Arkansas will change over time, but when they move here, they will have to accept and adjust to what it is (and "what it is" is different in different parts of the state).

If a transplant can't do that, they probably won't enjoy it here.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:51 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times
This might have been mentioned in a message on this thread, but I don't have time to search all of the pages. Isn't Bentonville, AR where the headquarters of Wal-Mart is located?

A friend of mine is thinking of moving to Arkansas, not Bentonville, but some place smaller and I guess I need to show her this thread.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magrack View Post
Well spoke, and true of anyplace.

I left Arkansas when I was young and spent many years traipsing around the nation and living in other countries.

I have found people everywhere suspicious or unfriendly of transplants who unfavorably compare "here" with wherever they came "from" or who seemingly give the impression that the natives are somehow lessened by a lack of experience of living "there".

I dreamed of the day when I could return to Arkansas and enjoy what it is.

The thing transplants have to remember is Arkansas will change over time, but when they move here, they will have to accept and adjust to what it is (and "what it is" is different in different parts of the state).

If a transplant can't do that, they probably won't enjoy it here.
Actually one thing about places like Hot Springs Village and Bella Vista, they were developed starting in the mid 70s so everyone is from somewhere else. Nita

Old 06-18-2007, 08:29 PM

388 posts, read 1,784,441 times
True, but I could no more live in a little enclave like HSV, BB or CV than I could live in a basement apartment in Milwaukee.

For some folks it's the answer, and they find that lifestyle attractive.

AFAIC, you could pick up those compounds and move them to any state in the union and the only thing different would be the climate. Not to mention how I feel about HOAs and neighbors so close you can hear bacon frying in the morning.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 10,137 times
Shhh! All of you who know how wonderful it can be to live in Arkansas, be quiet! If you tell them how beautiful and peaceful and, well, perfect it is here, they'll all want to come, and then it won't be beautiful and peaceful and perfect anymore!

Old 06-19-2007, 12:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magrack View Post
True, but I could no more live in a little enclave like HSV, BB or CV than I could live in a basement apartment in Milwaukee.

For some folks it's the answer, and they find that lifestyle attractive.

AFAIC, you could pick up those compounds and move them to any state in the union and the only thing different would be the climate. Not to mention how I feel about HOAs and neighbors so close you can hear bacon frying in the morning.
Magrack, I know HSV stands for Hot Spring Village, but what does BB and CV stand for? Just curious> I also didn't mean to suggest these planned communities are the way to go, they certainly aren't for everyone, I only meant if someone is worrying about being an outsider these areas are so new no one was raised there. I don't know how I would feel about living there either. We did like Bella Vista and yet I share some of what you are saying. For either of our daughters this is the life style they love. Both live in new communities now and are happy. As for being accepted, especially when you move to a state where most of the residence were born there as were their parents and grandparents it can be an adjustment. As the new comer, it is up to you to fit in, not up to the locals to accept you from the start. Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas