U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2007, 08:31 PM

4 posts, read 19,185 times

Advertisements

Wondering about tolerance in the rural communities. I'm looking to relocate to a rural area (Mena?).

Bi 60yr old male here. Very low profile, average man. Pretty much a loner type, I relish my privacy. But I'm friendly, respected, and respectful in return. Have had 2 committed relationships in my lifetime. I'm not looking for gay bars or sexual encounters, but I can't dismiss that part of my being. Life always seems to offer surprises when least expected.

Really looking forward to having a few acres, a small cabin, doing some fishing, hunting, hiking, etc.

Any need for a good bicycle mechanic in these areas? I would need a part-time job to keep myself busy & bring in a few extra dollars.

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 10:42 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,006,606 times
You need to be either in Fayetteville or Little Rock. You aren't going to find much tolerance anywhere else in Arkansas. This is Bush country.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:40 PM

26 posts, read 136,163 times
Just curious...but, of all of the places in Arkansas, why Mena? It's a sad shame, but I do have to agree with bchris02 about the tolerance level you should expect there. My suggestion is look into areas that are considered rural, but are relatively close to places that are more progressive such as Fayetteville, Bentonville, Little Rock, maybe even Fort Smith, but that might be pushing it. You can find some great places to live that are removed from the hustle, are quiet and peaceful, but still close enough to people who are more open minded. Some suggestions would be West Fork, Greenland, Gravette, Garfield, Bella Vista and a little north into Missouri. I am not saying to expect people in these towns to embrace that part of your life, but you won't be surrounded by people who don't. It's well after midnight, way late for me, so I hope that made sense. Anyway, you can find land/homes in all of these places that you can have privacy, beautiful scenery, peace and quiet and still be close enough to work, shop or go out. Best of luck to you.

Old 02-11-2007, 02:36 PM

93 posts, read 378,261 times
just curious angi, why is it a 'sad shame' ???

Just because not everyone believes in your lifestyle choice?

Just as you are free TO enjoy it, others are free to think it is disgusting.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:09 PM

16 posts, read 15,380 times
you need to go to eurika springs, it has a big gay com. will have tolerance for your life style, Arkansas has more bible thumber per square mile than most places I have seen, I talked to a son and mother in harrison about religion, and they went on about how the god was about to destroy the world because of its "wicked ways"
Then went on to tell me how that religion should be allowed in school, I decided to try a cognitive dissonance session on them and asked, so if the government allowed religion in school, what would you think of the school teaching Islam,and letting believers of satanisim pray to satan in school?
"well our founding fathers did not start the nation on that kind of religion" Oh so you want just your kind of religion to be tought in school. Hillbilly's can be so much fun.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:36 PM

3 posts, read 13,482 times
Tolerance is a two way street. When moving somewhere new, you should also be tolerant of the locals way of life, and their views and values. Its extremely arrogant to think that everyone has to bend over backwards to accomadate you and your lifestyle, especially when you move to their community. It's quite hypocritical to expect people to be tolerant of you, when it seems you are not tolerant of them.

Old 02-11-2007, 05:49 PM

80 posts, read 336,834 times
Some of the areas that come to my mind are:

1). Eureka Springs
2). Fayetteville
3). Conway
4). Little Rock

Since your looking for a cabin/outdoors I'd suggest Eureka Springs. Very pretty, artsy downtown, and the land is pretty cheap around as most of it is still rural.

I think I've got a home directory I picked up from my last trip to Eureka Springs. I'd be happy to mail it too you if I find it.

Good Luck!

Old 02-11-2007, 08:32 PM

26 posts, read 136,163 times
USAwanderer...it's not MY lifestyle choice, and no, it's not a sad shame that not all people approve of that lifestyle. I couldn't care less care about what other people do and no not approve of, but YES, it is a sad shame that he could not expect much tolerance. Two words with two completely different definitions. I absolutely agree that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and option to voice it, but I am telling him that if he is looking for tolerance, then he should look somewhere other than Mena. Don't make his question and desire for an honest answer about something else, it's not about you or what you believe.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:01 PM

20 posts, read 89,212 times
I certainly DO expect people to bend over backwards to accommodate me
and my lifestyle if I move to their community. Whoops, excuse me, that was
incorrect......MY community since I have purchased land and built a house. As long as I'm not harming anyone in any way, it's none of their business what I do or what I think. Now, whether they do or not is their perogative.

Just about all the people who are 'intolerent' of me are Christians. I'd say THEY are the ones being hypocritical. They certainly don't seem to love EVERYONE if they are whining about outsiders moving in.

Of course people should know how people are in a certain area, so they will know what they will be dealing with. It's best to be informed which part of the crowd spews hate, and which will be acceptable towards you. I'm
still looking for the acceptable ones. There's gotta be ONE out there somewhere!

Old 02-12-2007, 10:42 PM

17 posts, read 19,719 times
Gay.Com has a large gay forum for Arkansas. Just go there and check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or