Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 08:11 AM

16 posts, read 21,365 times

Advertisements

Well we looked around Harrison, and it is a low crime area, but I feel the look of "you aint from these parts are you" So we are putting in an offer in hot springs, well 8 miles north on 7. more toward hot springs village, I do not like the crime stats. on hot springs, they are higher then the nat. avg. and higher than most anywhere I have ever lived.
I am told that the high crime is contained in the "black" areas of hot springs.
I spent a month there and did not feel like I needed to not go into town, the auto theft rate is very high there.
I have even heard that hot springs village has had some drug arrests in it.
We are looking at 6 ac. on a mt. ridge with great view. city water,and natural gas. no associating fees and no Mobil homes or modular allowed. min 1800 sf homes site built only.
I am a gun nut so called the local club. and found that the person who runs the club is from my area, and we talked about it for an hour, this is a non, or not to judgmental community, Harrison on the other hand, I can more easily tell you how many people were not praying at neighbors mill coffee shop over their muffin than that were. Every one it seems was talking about how much more they can do to serve "god", since I am an atheist, I do not think my views will wash in areas that produce the ilk of Benny hinn,jim baker,and Mr. I was deceived when I was caught with a hooker, "swaggart".
I have never told any one that they need to believe as I do, but a Christian will not think twice before calling you [evil,demon possessed,sinner,ect.] or any number of other names just because you do not believe as they do.
Not to pick on Christians, Islam does the same or worse will fly a plane into your building if you do not see as they do. I digress, How do any of you who have moved to hot springs feel about the crime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 09:17 AM

113 posts, read 570,500 times
I would assume that most of the crime is drug related. There is alot of drugs in and around Hot Springs. Meth to be more exact. Seems like most of my "friends" from college went to Hot Springs to get their "fix".

I woudn't have any reservations about living in Hot Springs. It is a fun town, and very scenic with all the lakes in the very near area. You will be living near the Quartz crystal mines. Did you happen to check those out while you were there?

Old 03-28-2007, 02:16 PM

6 posts, read 25,815 times
The crime rate in hot springs is quite a bit higher than most other places in arkansas, and you were accurately informed: the crime rate is mostly concentrated in the 'black' community. Downtown hot springs is a charming area with many cultural events year 'round. We were looking for a place in hot springs, but finally decided on Malvern (because we couldnt afford what we wanted in Hot springs)
Oaklawn Jockey Club (horse racing) is a BIG attraction and partly accounts for the elevated crime rate as well. I've never felt unsafe while visiting and shopping in hot springs though.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:23 AM

156 posts, read 377,385 times
There's been some discussion here regarding the escalating crime rate in Hot Springs. There's also been a hint that crime is higher in the "black" community.

After spending only a short amount of time in Hot Springs (proper) what section of town is considered the black community? We came in from the north (Rte 7) and spent a few nights on the south side of town and then left Hot Springs heading toward Mena on Rte 270. While we were there, a mugging occurred on the north end of town by a crippled black male asking for a ride and then pulling a screwdriver on the driver.

The congestion in/around the racetrack was mind boggling during our stay there and we soon learned to gauge our touring at certain times of day to avoid that hassle. We never came across - or noticed - a black community.

Roger

Old 04-03-2007, 08:49 AM

39 posts, read 199,305 times
There's a job I'd be quite interested in there but I bailed as soon as I saw the crime numbers. Somebody had better start getting a handle on it before it scares all the professionals away. I was very surprised to see a number that's higher than found in most large urban areas in the US. Wow!

Old 04-03-2007, 10:11 AM

156 posts, read 377,385 times
Just my $ .02 regarding crime in Hot Springs, but does everybody know the complete history of Hot Springs, Arkansas? Local and State corruption was business as usual until a few decades ago. Criminals from all over the country could get a "pass" while visiting the city - Hot Springs being a neutral zone.

http://library.thinkquest.org/TQ0312485/gangsters.htm

Roger

Old 04-03-2007, 02:50 PM

6 posts, read 25,815 times
Working in Hot Springs is acceptable, its just not suitable for us to live there. There are several surrounding areas that are very nice for family living. If you dont mind a 30 minute or less commute. Lakeside, diamondhead, bismarck, magnet cove are all nice little communities with great school systems.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,437 times
Most of the crime I have seen there is by city leaders and their meryy band of real estate developers. They have been doing fraudulent real estate ventures for years and ripping off people for thousands. It is the same group of people every time and the government, law officials and the like are either directly involved or cover for those who are. Even zoning and planning laws revolve areound what is best for these crooks. If you move there just watch your money and don't invest money unless you seriously vet the folks involved. I could name names but some research will tell you everything and keep me out of trouble.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:37 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by from the hip View Post
Most of the crime I have seen there is by city leaders and their meryy band of real estate developers. They have been doing fraudulent real estate ventures for years and ripping off people for thousands. It is the same group of people every time and the government, law officials and the like are either directly involved or cover for those who are. Even zoning and planning laws revolve areound what is best for these crooks. If you move there just watch your money and don't invest money unless you seriously vet the folks involved. I could name names but some research will tell you everything and keep me out of trouble.
why did you think it was necessary to dig up a post that is almost 4 years old?

NIta

Old 03-26-2011, 05:45 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmccorkle View Post
The crime rate in hot springs is quite a bit higher than most other places in arkansas, and you were accurately informed: the crime rate is mostly concentrated in the 'black' community. Downtown hot springs is a charming area with many cultural events year 'round. We were looking for a place in hot springs, but finally decided on Malvern (because we couldnt afford what we wanted in Hot springs)
Oaklawn Jockey Club (horse racing) is a BIG attraction and partly accounts for the elevated crime rate as well. I've never felt unsafe while visiting and shopping in hot springs though.
I've been to Hot Springs and I never even noticed any "black" people there. Maybe I wasn't paying attention. Anyway, I never much gave the "crime" a second thought. Have you ever been to Kansas City or East St. Louis? Good Lord, how bad could the crime in Hot Springs POSSIBLY be?

I thought it was really nifty. Loved the old spa buildings and architecture. Not sure what it's like to live there, though. The OP might check out Bella Vista while they are at it too.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas