U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 09:32 AM

148 posts, read 304,439 times

Advertisements

I find it astounding that people still have trouble with these issues. Tsking folks for dating/marrying outside their race has never been OK in my 33-yr lifetime. Loving v. Virginia was 50 years ago for cripes sake. *shaking head* Maybe it's my Northwestern upbringing but I haven't been able to bring myself to even bother looking at churches 'round here for fear of encountering that kind of lingering animosity. Much as I miss the fellowship, it would hurt my heart to have even one person open their mouth in such a setting and confirm my worst fears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 10:33 AM

200 posts, read 589,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezyone View Post
I find it astounding that people still have trouble with these issues. Tsking folks for dating/marrying outside their race has never been OK in my 33-yr lifetime. Loving v. Virginia was 50 years ago for cripes sake. *shaking head* Maybe it's my Northwestern upbringing but I haven't been able to bring myself to even bother looking at churches 'round here for fear of encountering that kind of lingering animosity. Much as I miss the fellowship, it would hurt my heart to have even one person open their mouth in such a setting and confirm my worst fears.
As I said, it's not as out in the open anymore. I doubt you would come across anyone now that would openly say in a church that interracial dating is bad. It's more of an undercurrent, not spoken of but very much felt.

We are probably one generation away from interracial couples not being an issue in any but the most fundamental of churches. We are probably two generations away from gay/lesbian couples not being an issue. Who knows what the next hot button topic is going to be ...

Old 05-08-2009, 11:09 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,372,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwinerBock View Post
As I said, it's not as out in the open anymore. I doubt you would come across anyone now that would openly say in a church that interracial dating is bad. It's more of an undercurrent, not spoken of but very much felt.

We are probably one generation away from interracial couples not being an issue in any but the most fundamental of churches. We are probably two generations away from gay/lesbian couples not being an issue. Who knows what the next hot button topic is going to be ...
If you mean "we" as Arkansas, Swinerblock, I think you may be a little optomistic.

I was in LR for awhile recently, and although I would rather not have been, I was, and therefore grabbed the reigns, dug in the spurs and rode it all the way.

I dined, danced, and drank with whites, blacks, gays, straights, Pakis, Indians, and heaven only knows who else. I was amazed, after reading some posts, that the lynch mob missed out on any of these venues. If their is evidence of more than pockets of rejection in town, I must have missed it.

However, number one, we all know that's not the case everywhere, and there are large groups..the "silent majority', that sit on their hands until it gets to a certain point and then rushes to do things like pass laws making it illegal to have one's underwear showing when walking down the street.

There are many liberal states in this country, and a lot of people, bombarded every day with things not to their liking, eventually flee to someplace that's marching to the beat of a different drummer.

Unfortunately for some, Arkansas is one of those places.

Secondly, there are those that will not accept liberal change, because then they could not be an underdog anymore and support the chip on their shouder.

If Arkansas passed a law, say making interracial marriages a legal right, and put up a big bronze statue on the river walk celebrating that, there would still be the angry protestors gathering at it protesting that they didn't do it 5 years before they did.

It's impossible for some people to be happy with themselves and want to remind others of that on a regular basis.

About 15 years ago, I belonged to a private club. It was one of those clubs that had a lot of WW2 vets in it, and now thye had an excuse to have steak/fish frys and drink beer and play cards.

I had been a member for some time, when I attended a German-American fest in Chicago and acquired a spiffy t-shirt with a agerman flag on it.

I walked into the club one afternoon wearing that t-shirt, sat down at the bar, and ordered my usual drink. The bartender gave me this strange look, and looks down the bar at some guy that looks like he's about 105 years old.

The old guy shakes his head, and the bartender tells me he's not serving me. I protest very lightly..I'm a member, I pay dues, I gotta card, what's the problem.

Then, here comes old guy, and says I've got to leave.

I leave.

Friends tell me after that, about the conversation of "#*&^ing krauts", and "We shoulda killed all of them", amiable things like that.

Now, all of a suden, I wasn't me, to them.

It didn't really bother me, and I didn't return again, but I'm not an isolated incident.

That kind of attitude is never going to go away, anywhere.

There are always going to be people that have their pre-conceptions, and there are always going to be those people that are professional victims with a chip on their shoulder.

There's not a single symbol that you can brand yourself with, masonic ring,shriners pin, star of David, cross, whatever, that isn't going to automatically make someone decide they don't like you.

I could have not shaved, and gone to LR wearing my blood stained boots and cammo shirt, but I got a feeling I'd be less a tooth or two shortly, so I blended.

There are those that choose not to blend, and that's their right, but that's a tough road to hoe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or