U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 02:36 PM

483 posts, read 1,361,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
So, who here thinks it will pass?
I don't think it will pass, even though I vote yes lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
I do not think it will pass. I also do not think the lottery will pass.
I think the lottery has a good chance of passing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 03:11 PM

69,368 posts, read 79,577,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
I'm not putting ANY money on anything!! (which should probably give you an indication of how much I'd actually play the lottery if DOES pass...)
I can see you are a biiigggg gambler. actually I play the MO one or powerball about 2 or 3 times a month for a buck. Of course I never win or get any numbers but there is always next time.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:54 PM

7,946 posts, read 14,615,305 times
I am not sure about the rest of the state, but in the Fort Smith area, the Act 1 issue is a very popular bill that should pass with flying colors. I will be extremely surprised if it doesn't pass. I will also be surprised if the lottery passes.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I am not sure about the rest of the state, but in the Fort Smith area, the Act 1 issue is a very popular bill that should pass with flying colors. I will be extremely surprised if it doesn't pass. I will also be surprised if the lottery passes.
I would hope you are right!

Old 10-16-2008, 09:53 PM

8,998 posts, read 12,771,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I hope act 1 doesn't pass.
I will be surprised if the lottery DOESN'T pass.

I will somewhat compromise on Act 1, okay children in the care of the state can't go to the "evil homosexuals" but parents should be able to decide who their kids will go to in the event of their death or whatnot. Act 1 would affect ALL adoptions and foster care placements, whether or not the kids were "wards of the state" to begin with.

If you die and the only living relative you have to take care of your kid is some unmarried single person...sorry for ya, your kids are going to foster care.

I wish the Arkansas "Family" council would do something more productive for foster kids. Why not encourage more married people to adopt foster kids since they think only heterosexual people will raise kids right? Why not try to lobby the state to create incentives for more people to foster or adopt kids?
I think that's a much more positive way to spend time than trying to bash gays.

::shakes head::

This just adds to the reason why I want to leave.
I'm conflicted.
I like the state sometimes but then stuff like this is like, "Eh, they wouldn't want me anyway."

Old 10-17-2008, 08:10 AM

Quote:
I hope act 1 doesn't pass.
I will be surprised if the lottery DOESN'T pass.

I will somewhat compromise on Act 1, okay children in the care of the state can't go to the "evil homosexuals" but parents should be able to decide who their kids will go to in the event of their death or whatnot. Act 1 would affect ALL adoptions and foster care placements, whether or not the kids were "wards of the state" to begin with.

If you die and the only living relative you have to take care of your kid is some unmarried single person...sorry for ya, your kids are going to foster care.

I wish the Arkansas "Family" council would do something more productive for foster kids. Why not encourage more married people to adopt foster kids since they think only heterosexual people will raise kids right? Why not try to lobby the state to create incentives for more people to foster or adopt kids?
I think that's a much more positive way to spend time than trying to bash gays.

::shakes head::

This just adds to the reason why I want to leave.
I'm conflicted.
I like the state sometimes but then stuff like this is like, "Eh, they wouldn't want me anyway."

We may not always agree, but I do agree that children should be placed with family when and if something happens to their parents, as long as the family member/s can be responsible. I also agree that the state makes it way to hard for anyone to be a foster or adoptive parents, which can be frustrating for people who really want to be able to help those kids.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTNFAM View Post
We may not always agree, but I do agree that children should be placed with family when and if something happens to their parents, as long as the family member/s can be responsible. I also agree that the state makes it way to hard for anyone to be a foster or adoptive parents, which can be frustrating for people who really want to be able to help those kids.
Well with act 1 the kids would not be placed with family WHEN and IF something happens to their parents.
I would be somewhat okay if the ban only applied to kids just in foster care but it applies to ALL kids in AR, regardless of their parents wishes or even if their only living relative is a single person, heterosexual or not.

I read this today in Arkansas Times:
"The Family Council of Arkansas, unable to make homosexuality a crime, has settled for the next best thing. It works timelessly to marginalize gay people. It backed the successful amanedment to prohibit same sex marriage in Arkansas. Now it has porposed an initiated act to ban adoption or foster parenting by 'cohabitating" couples. The Council protests that the proposal covers gay and straights, but all understand the primary victimes- after the children who will be dnied stable homes by this mean idea- are gay people." It goes on to say, "CHILDREN COULD BE DENIED HOMES WITH STRAIGHT RELATIVES IN THE NAME OF THE FAMILY COUNCIL'S AGENDA TO PUNISH GAY PEOPLE." Of course it wasn't in all caps but yeah.

Why not just allow the state to determine adoption and foster care on a case-by-case basis rather than letting Act 1 place a blanket on ALL cases, private or not, which I don't feel is right.

YouTube - Vote No on One

Last edited by PurpleLove08; 10-17-2008 at 01:05 PM..

Old 10-20-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Well with act 1 the kids would not be placed with family WHEN and IF something happens to their parents.
I would be somewhat okay if the ban only applied to kids just in foster care but it applies to ALL kids in AR, regardless of their parents wishes or even if their only living relative is a single person, heterosexual or not.

I read this today in Arkansas Times:
"The Family Council of Arkansas, unable to make homosexuality a crime, has settled for the next best thing. It works timelessly to marginalize gay people. It backed the successful amanedment to prohibit same sex marriage in Arkansas. Now it has porposed an initiated act to ban adoption or foster parenting by 'cohabitating" couples. The Council protests that the proposal covers gay and straights, but all understand the primary victimes- after the children who will be dnied stable homes by this mean idea- are gay people." It goes on to say, "CHILDREN COULD BE DENIED HOMES WITH STRAIGHT RELATIVES IN THE NAME OF THE FAMILY COUNCIL'S AGENDA TO PUNISH GAY PEOPLE." Of course it wasn't in all caps but yeah.

Why not just allow the state to determine adoption and foster care on a case-by-case basis rather than letting Act 1 place a blanket on ALL cases, private or not, which I don't feel is right.

YouTube - Vote No on One

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this, I was out of town this weekend for my step-grandaughters 10th birthday party....I am way too young to have a 10 yeard old step-grand lol! Anyway, on to the subject at hand...

I have been reading up on this measure this morning trying to find anything that says that this measure would affect anything other than adoptions and or foster parent placement through DHS. I have yet to find anything that says it will affect private adoptions and or guardianships. I may not be looking in the right place, if you can help me with a link, that would be great! I was under the impression that this measure only applies to cases that are handled through DHS or other state agencies, and that parents still have the right to assign guardianship of their children to anyone they please, such as in a will, in the event of their death.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTNFAM View Post
Sorry it took me so long to get back to this, I was out of town this weekend for my step-grandaughters 10th birthday party....I am way too young to have a 10 yeard old step-grand lol! Anyway, on to the subject at hand...

I have been reading up on this measure this morning trying to find anything that says that this measure would affect anything other than adoptions and or foster parent placement through DHS. I have yet to find anything that says it will affect private adoptions and or guardianships. I may not be looking in the right place, if you can help me with a link, that would be great! I was under the impression that this measure only applies to cases that are handled through DHS or other state agencies, and that parents still have the right to assign guardianship of their children to anyone they please, such as in a will, in the event of their death.
Ha, it's okay. I won't ever have to deal with grandkids. =]
Arkansas Families First :: FAQs

"Does this affect private adoption?
Yes! This would absolutely affect both public and private adoption."

I think I convinced a woman today to vote against the act. She wasn't for gay and lesbian adoption but I didn't feel like "outing" myself. I just told her it would affect both private and public adoptions.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:55 PM

7,946 posts, read 14,615,305 times
One question. Why is it the AFC is taking this roundabout way at making sure gay people aren't able to raise kids? Why not just ban same-sex adoption?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or