U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 11:10 AM

Location: Southern California native, last 20 yrs in Milwaukee Wisc.
1,143 posts, read 3,318,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalkiwendy View Post
Thank y'all so much for your replies. I was all kinds of fascinated by the area before I found this. I'm actually white, but live in Memphis, which is, of course, majority African American. I don't think I would want to live anywhere where the culture that I appreciate so much-though it definitely has its problems, as does Memphis - was not appreciated at all. Also, I definitely don't want to raise my child in an environment of hate and bigotry.

I know that America, in general, is racist. I know that many Arkansans that I've met are horrible horrible racists; but I also have met many many many Arkansans who are open-minded, interesting people. I'm just hoping to make my home amongst the latter, and not the former.
Good grief... another one of these posts fretting over the spectre of white "racism". Complete with the leftist claims of America being a racist country.
By all means, please live in a mostly minority town, and enjoy all the fruits of that; high rates of violent crime, illegitimacy, poor schools, etc., etc. All of that is much better than living around mean old white "racists", isn't it?
By the way, the worst (and most violent) racism I've seen, in numerous cities, is minority racism against whites. And crime statistics support me on this.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:09 PM

10 posts, read 60,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Good grief... another one of these posts fretting over the spectre of white "racism". Complete with the leftist claims of America being a racist country.
By all means, please live in a mostly minority town, and enjoy all the fruits of that; high rates of violent crime, illegitimacy, poor schools, etc., etc. All of that is much better than living around mean old white "racists", isn't it?
By the way, the worst (and most violent) racism I've seen, in numerous cities, is minority racism against whites. And crime statistics support me on this.

Whatever. I think you've missed the point. And perhaps are a bit defensive. Hmm . I said I wanted to move there. I didn't say one place was better than the other. Frankly, I'm hoping to get away from the type of racism that exists in this city - if you'd been really paying attention, I think you'd have gotten the gist of it. Instead, you go into attack mode.

Anyhow, I'm not fretting, just looking for a good place to raise my family.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:28 PM

2,370 posts, read 6,857,220 times
Quote:
Whatever. I think you've missed the point. And perhaps are a bit defensive. Hmm . I said I wanted to move there. I didn't say one place was better than the other. Frankly, I'm hoping to get away from the type of racism that exists in this city - if you'd been really paying attention, I think you'd have gotten the gist of it. Instead, you go into attack mode.

Anyhow, I'm not fretting, just looking for a good place to raise my family.
Well, Harrison could be a terrific place to raise a family, depending on what you're looking for. If you're looking for a quiet place where you can maybe have a few acres (maybe a farmette of sorts) but still have city water and sewer and be in the main school district, I'd say give it a serious look. You'll need to understand going in that besides sports and some church based outlets, there are very few activities for kids (especially teens). If those things don't interest you and your family then you will have rely on self made diversions primarily utilizing the amazing wealth of outdoor resources in the area.

Harrison schools are for the most part very good. HHS sends a good number of smart and well prepared young adults on to college, the vast majority of whom never return to Harrison.

Football is king. If your kids don't play football or cheerlead then they will be somewhat 2nd class (not really all that different from many other southern schools really). If that doesn't bother you, then again I'd say give it a serious consideration.

If you expect your kids to be well educated and attend college and you are looking for a place for your family to put down roots then I'd suggest quite a number of other modest cost of living towns in Arkansas. In Harrison, you can probably expect your kids to grow up, go to college, and then leave you behind as they find meaningful work in other parts of the state or country.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:37 PM

570 posts, read 1,364,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I don't think that Harrison is that bad, even though it was, at one time, one of the headquarters for the KKK, and until recently, when it was removed due to political pressure, there was a highway sign that "this area of the highway" was maintained by the KKK.

That having been said, again, I don't think that Harrison proper is that bad, but I'd have my doubts about the outlying areas.

Assuming you are black, I'd take a look at Branson or Springfield, MO as possible alternatives. Springfield has a pretty healthy black population.

20yrsinBranson
Maybe we should point out their are allot of black violent racist groups, And the same goes for Hispanic groups So why is it the KKK is the bad one and the only one you hear about? They make a big deal about Dave Duke but when do you hear about Jessie, Al, Luis and the black Muslims Ect.? It's like the black racist groups are just a bunch of good ol boys that can't do anything wrong, Why don't you go for a nice long moon lit walk in their area and see what happens.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:43 PM

3,203 posts, read 3,244,289 times
Is Harrison more racist than West Memphis or East St. Louis?

Old 10-15-2008, 03:05 PM

Thanks Stormcrow, for the actual helpful insight. I totally didn't want to get into a "which race is more racist?!" argument, so thanks for seeing what it is I'm interested in. Definitely some things to chew on.

Hubby and I really do want to start doing more gardening (microfarm, to use the schmancy term ), but we're concerned about the homogeneity of small-town life. And, I'm not crazy about the idea of just moving out into the country just outside a big city - it seems like it would kind of defeat the point of being "away" if we ended up spending a whole lot of time driving in for whatever it is we might need in town.

Also, my kiddo has special needs, and I am really concerned about her being so different from everyone else that she won't be able to be happy. She's going to be different, that's just a fact, and I'm hoping we're preparing her to have a good sense of humor about it, I just don't want her to be persecuted - kwim? This, certainly, could happen anywhere - I just want her to be able to have alternatives if one group rejects her. (Oh, how I hate even thinking about that!)

Finally, we're pretty granola-ey kind of people - big time recyclers, conservationists, etc. etc. I don't need to be the most popular gal around, but it would be nice to have some friends!

What I reallly, really, really want is to move to Eureka Springs. I'm afraid, though, about being able to make a living there.

Anyway, I'm not much interested in discussing the racism stuff anymore, so, if y'all want to continue with that stuff, I'm just going to quit reading. If, though, you want to talk about/suggest other potential places that we might fit in in Arkansas, I'd love to hear!

Old 10-15-2008, 03:23 PM

69,315 posts, read 79,508,905 times
Quote:
Thanks Stormcrow, for the actual helpful insight. I totally didn't want to get into a "which race is more racist?!" argument, so thanks for seeing what it is I'm interested in. Definitely some things to chew on.

Hubby and I really do want to start doing more gardening (microfarm, to use the schmancy term ), but we're concerned about the homogeneity of small-town life. And, I'm not crazy about the idea of just moving out into the country just outside a big city - it seems like it would kind of defeat the point of being "away" if we ended up spending a whole lot of time driving in for whatever it is we might need in town.

Also, my kiddo has special needs, and I am really concerned about her being so different from everyone else that she won't be able to be happy. She's going to be different, that's just a fact, and I'm hoping we're preparing her to have a good sense of humor about it, I just don't want her to be persecuted - kwim? This, certainly, could happen anywhere - I just want her to be able to have alternatives if one group rejects her. (Oh, how I hate even thinking about that!)

Finally, we're pretty granola-ey kind of people - big time recyclers, conservationists, etc. etc. I don't need to be the most popular gal around, but it would be nice to have some friends!

What I reallly, really, really want is to move to Eureka Springs. I'm afraid, though, about being able to make a living there.

Anyway, I'm not much interested in discussing the racism stuff anymore, so, if y'all want to continue with that stuff, I'm just going to quit reading. If, though, you want to talk about/suggest other potential places that we might fit in in Arkansas, I'd love to hear!
It's funny you would mention Eureka Springs, that is what I was about to suggest, but yes, I would imagine it wouldn't be an easy place to make ends meet. It sure is everything else you are seeking. As for the conservation, recycling etc, this is pretty common throughout NWA or certainly is around here. Have you given any thought to Fayetteville? It might be a little too big for you, but what about some of the smaller towns surrounding it?

Nita

Old 10-15-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It's funny you would mention Eureka Springs, that is what I was about to suggest, but yes, I would imagine it wouldn't be an easy place to make ends meet. It sure is everything else you are seeking. As for the conservation, recycling etc, this is pretty common throughout NWA or certainly is around here. Have you given any thought to Fayetteville? It might be a little too big for you, but what about some of the smaller towns surrounding it?

Nita
Yeah, Fayetteville seems like it could be a good option (esp. since I'm a professor). There just haven't been any jobs posted at the University for a while in my area (English/writing). Still, that may end up being where we go in the long run.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:42 PM

69,315 posts, read 79,508,905 times
Quote:
Yeah, Fayetteville seems like it could be a good option (esp. since I'm a professor). There just haven't been any jobs posted at the University for a while in my area (English/writing). Still, that may end up being where we go in the long run.
wow, that is right up my husbands career prior to retiring. He was a writer (newspaper reporter) in the beginning, eventually going into PR. Our youngest granddaughter has her minor from Ar in English.

Good luck with whatever you do. How about any of the community colleges?
I know that isn't the same, but it is something..

Fayetteville is very liberal and will probably fit into your life style.

Nita

Old 10-16-2008, 06:55 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,857,220 times
Quote:
I knew a guy once who moved down to Eureka from Wisconson and commuted every day to Rogers because there was no work for him in ES. It can be done but it will take some sacrifices, maybe some that almost negate the whole purpose in moving there. There are still lots of quite rural communities that are a stone's throw from NWA, Garfield and Lincoln come to mind.

With a special needs kid I definitely would not steer you to smaller towns outside Harrison or anything like that. Regardless of acceptance, they just won't have the budget to really do a proper job. I do know that Harrison used to have pretty decent programs for children with pretty severe learning disabilities that focused on independent living. Don't know if your child would fit into these scenarios or not and I also can't vouch as to the current state of said programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas