U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 06:41 PM
AWC

14 posts, read 32,379 times

Advertisements

Funny, this is exactly the reason we are moving near Harrison. I WANT to be in a white community, away from diversity. I grew up and lived most of my life in a very diverse area, and I am sick to death of it..say what you want, but diversity brings crime, drugs, and more trash. I want my children growing up with better values, and not having to see the crap side of life. I am proud of my heritage, and I want my children to be proud of theirs.
It certainly seems I can't be proud to be white, without being called a racist...so, I'll move to where I don't have to worry about it.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:57 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,110 posts, read 7,374,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWC View Post
Funny, this is exactly the reason we are moving near Harrison. I WANT to be in a white community, away from diversity. I grew up and lived most of my life in a very diverse area, and I am sick to death of it..say what you want, but diversity brings crime, drugs, and more trash. I want my children growing up with better values, and not having to see the crap side of life. I am proud of my heritage, and I want my children to be proud of theirs.
It certainly seems I can't be proud to be white, without being called a racist...so, I'll move to where I don't have to worry about it.
you got that right.....

Old 01-16-2009, 06:57 PM

44 posts, read 173,365 times
AWC, Welcome home! Harrison is a great place to live, grow, and raise a family. It's not a very diverse place, but no one here seems to mind. We turn on the TV and see racial violence and riots all over the globe, but there's none of that here. Backwards? I tend to think of it as advanced. And, you're not the first person to move here for the very same reasons. Glad to have you!

Old 01-16-2009, 07:45 PM
AWC

14 posts, read 32,379 times
We looked at many areas in the Ozarks, and had so many people tell us to look at the Harrison area, we just had to. Beautiful community, friendly people, unlike some areas we looked at and were made to feel like outsiders who would never be welcomed or a part of the town.
Until I actually started looking at the history of Harrison, I wasn't even aware of it's past. I am now, but that doesn't matter anyway. It has what we are looking for...smaller town, but not too small. 13000 people is a good size that shows growth, not stagnation, and still has that small town feeling. School system appears to be really good, jobs in the area are available, lots of families with children, predominately white, low crime, apparently Harrison is as close to Heaven as you can get without dying

Old 01-16-2009, 09:13 PM

157 posts, read 448,409 times
Quote:
School system appears to be really good, jobs in the area are available, lots of families with children, predominately white, low crime, apparently Harrison is as close to Heaven as you can get without dying
Aw, isn't that beautiful? That is SO close to heaven. (Jesus agrees.)

You read about it in political science: people move (or self-select) to areas where there are people like them, which polarizes regions to specific ideologies over time. This in turn has grave implications for its future development: how it perceives science, for example, and where it develops economically.

E.g., places like California or Austin/Dallas get some of Arkansas' brightest minds looking to make their mark on the world (especially in science), while we get the type of California and Austin/Dallas residents who want to help us with our marriage convenants and Act 1.

Quote:
Backwards? I tend to think of it as advanced.
Yes, Harrison is advanced y'all, with its staggering education levels (16% w/ bachelor's degrees, only 11% away from the national average of 27%) and a diverse set of evangelical denominations. I smell entrepreneurship, new ideas, breakthroughs in nanotechnology, and the like coming from this hidebound region! Harrison is the epitome of advanced. Because, if you were to just think logically, y'know, where do great ideas come from?....then the obvious answer is myopic, self-righteous places devoid of cultural/educational/idea interaction, I think. I mean, just think of every American form of music, art, and scientific advancement. They all come from places like Harrison.

Just so long as you stay away from the parts of the state with vibrant arts and cultural communities (e.g., Fayetteville, Little Rock, Eureka Springs, Hot Springs, Conway), I'll be fine. Y'know, the cities that are usually considered the creme of the crop in the state for various reasons.

The way that most men deal with traditions, even traditions of their own country, is to receive them all alike as they are delivered, without applying any critical test whatever. [...] So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand. - Thucydides

Old 01-17-2009, 08:33 AM

44 posts, read 173,365 times
Does that mean you won't be coming here to stay?

Old 01-17-2009, 10:12 AM

44,762 posts, read 43,324,031 times
Quote:
Fine. Be like that then. Just don't come around me. I lived in an area that was relatively homogeneous and I had more problems there than I did in a relatively diverse area. What does it tell me? Crime can happen anywhere.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:24 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,110 posts, read 7,374,138 times
..................Keep on beating that horse.................................

Old 01-17-2009, 10:32 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,369,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
..................Keep on beating that horse.................................
Cali......

Wizard wouldn't let me give ya points but let me tell ya...

Coffee through my nose.

That's better than an oscar!

Old 01-17-2009, 02:19 PM

44,762 posts, read 43,324,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridicter View Post
Aw, isn't that beautiful? That is SO close to heaven. (Jesus agrees.)

You read about it in political science: people move (or self-select) to areas where there are people like them, which polarizes regions to specific ideologies over time. This in turn has grave implications for its future development: how it perceives science, for example, and where it develops economically.

E.g., places like California or Austin/Dallas get some of Arkansas' brightest minds looking to make their mark on the world (especially in science), while we get the type of California and Austin/Dallas residents who want to help us with our marriage convenants and Act 1.

Yes, Harrison is advanced y'all, with its staggering education levels (16% w/ bachelor's degrees, only 11% away from the national average of 27%) and a diverse set of evangelical denominations. I smell entrepreneurship, new ideas, breakthroughs in nanotechnology, and the like coming from this hidebound region! Harrison is the epitome of advanced. Because, if you were to just think logically, y'know, where do great ideas come from?....then the obvious answer is myopic, self-righteous places devoid of cultural/educational/idea interaction, I think. I mean, just think of every American form of music, art, and scientific advancement. They all come from places like Harrison.

Just so long as you stay away from the parts of the state with vibrant arts and cultural communities (e.g., Fayetteville, Little Rock, Eureka Springs, Hot Springs, Conway), I'll be fine. Y'know, the cities that are usually considered the creme of the crop in the state for various reasons.

The way that most men deal with traditions, even traditions of their own country, is to receive them all alike as they are delivered, without applying any critical test whatever. [...] So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand. - Thucydides
I am kind of politically moderate in some ways. I'm not a bleeding heart Republican or Democrat. It varies on the issues. I need to be in a place where I don't have to worry about politics.

CA, DFW, and Austin get some of the brightest of Arkansas' people for a reason: They have most things Arkansas doesn't have. Compared to California and Texas, Arkansas just doesn't have alot. Sure, people who want to be left alone and live a non-competitive life or retire cheaply might move to Arkansas, but for those like me who need things like a decent job, plenty of activities and other stuff, a place like Harrison,AR just doesn't do it.

Perhaps, but how would a Catholic do there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas