U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 02:36 PM

44,670 posts, read 43,186,116 times

Advertisements

This is why Harrison is the way it is:http://www.uvm.edu/~jloewen/sundownt...ow.php?id=1017

It was a sundown town.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:04 PM

157 posts, read 447,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I am kind of politically moderate in some ways. I'm not a bleeding heart Republican or Democrat. It varies on the issues. I need to be in a place where I don't have to worry about politics.

CA, DFW, and Austin get some of the brightest of Arkansas' people for a reason: They have most things Arkansas doesn't have. Compared to California and Texas, Arkansas just doesn't have alot. Sure, people who want to be left alone and live a non-competitive life or retire cheaply might move to Arkansas, but for those like me who need things like a decent job, plenty of activities and other stuff, a place like Harrison,AR just doesn't do it.

Perhaps, but how would a Catholic do there?
I'm more moderate than I let on when I post on the internet. I tend get polarized in the opposite direction when I'm exposed to comments like the ones here.

Catholic? Who knows? I think Harrison is generally just not a place to go unless you fit a certain mold (probably WASP) and have a perverse sense of pride in your lack of cultural/artistic/intellectual vitality.

Otherwise, if you're looking for two looking for good locations that at least hold their own, I'd say Fayetteville and Little Rock are pretty nice.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:15 PM
AWC

14 posts, read 32,350 times
as long as ridicter doesn't live there, it still sounds like a swell place. Never said I didn't like a little culture, and I don't recall saying I wouldn't go to Eureka, Branson, Fayetteville, or anywhere else. I did however say I want to LIVE in a predominantly white area.
We all live our lives based on our experiences...yours appear to be different than mine. That doesn't mean I treat anyone differently, I just prefer what I prefer. Because I want to live in Harrison, I'm devoid of cultural/educational/ideas? Boy, talk about close minded...and lafitte, if you met me, you would have no idea what my views are, and we'd probably get along...but don't worry, unless you go to Harrison you probably won't need to worry about me "staying away from you" because we'll probably never meet.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:28 PM

13,541 posts, read 29,505,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridicter View Post
I think Harrison is generally just not a place to go unless you fit a certain mold (probably WASP) and have a perverse sense of pride in your lack of cultural/artistic/intellectual vitality.
And just what do you consider culture EXACTLY?

What about a place like homogeneous El Paso where it is 95% hispanic, do you think they have culture? I'm sure they would beg to differ if you told them that they didn't.

What about a place like Detroit that is majority black, do you think they have culture? Why is it only majority white areas that lack culture? IMO culture is in the eye of the beholder, it's not up to you to tell other people what is and is not culture. I personally like going hiking and looking at plants and wildlife, and I couldn't give a rat's ass about "art" and boring theater, does that mean I have less culture than you?

Old 01-17-2009, 05:36 PM

47 posts, read 124,431 times
I read the word culture which is used all of these posts, and invariably some one gets offended when it is implied that the city that they live in does not have any.

Websters Dictionary: enlightenment and excellence of taste acquired by intellectual and aesthetic training b: acquaintance with and taste in fine arts, humanities, and broad aspects of science as distinguished from vocational and technical skills. AND.
: the customary beliefs, social forms, and material traits of a racial, religious, or social group ; also : the characteristic features of everyday existence shared by people in a place or time c: the set of shared attitudes, values, goals, and practices that characterizes an institution or organization.

Usually when some one says that a person or town is not cultured he or she is talking about taste in fine arts and humanities etc., which according to the posts that I have read would apply to Harrison County though not necessarily to every person in Harrison County.

Harrison County most certainly has a culture (shared beliefs and attitudes) those people who would most enjoy living there are people share those same attitudes. There is nothing wrong with that. However, it is doubtful that the people that live there have very many cultural opportunities.

It seems that a lot of people get defensive very fast here. If you like, camping, fishing, only being around white people, knowing everyone in your town, and can accept fewer opportunities in life, and very little exposure to different cultures, and the fact that your city has very little cultural opportunities then Harrison County is probably for you. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. IF you want something different, then Harrison County is probably not for you.

If you don't enjoy art, orchestra, plays, reading great novels etc., by definition you are not very cultured. So what. You can enjoy the great outdoors and not be a hick or a redneck.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:57 PM

9,807 posts, read 12,922,467 times
pirate asks------"Perhaps, but how would a Catholic do there"---

I can't amswer as I have only been there once.
However, after checking the national directory, I see Harrison has a Catholic Church listed that has 2 masses listed on the weekend and daily mass listed as Tuesday through Saturday.

More services than many towns in Arkansas that have a Catholic Church.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:23 PM

44 posts, read 173,086 times
Pirate, Harrison does have a large, very active Catholic Church...very nice.

Now, Harrison does have a theatre company that puts on some great productions. It's not Broadway, but we don't have to live in New York either. We have quite a few Hispanics here. They work hard, own businesses and probably send some money home to Mexico, I would too. They're good people and they constitute our diversity. As for Harrison being a 'sundown' town...I don't know, that was way before my time. Unless you fought it WWII it was before your time too.

You don't come to the Ozark Mountains for opera, you come here for a small town atmosphere, scenic beauty, lakes, rivers, to own a piece of ground where you can do with it what you want, and to not be too crowded.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if bright lights and big city are your thing, you don't want to live here.

The beauty of the Ozarks is that I can live 4 minutes from the city limits, surrounded by large oak trees, get in my pool and hot tub naked, heck I even pee off the my front porch just because I can. I'm surrounded by deer and squirrels, my dog runs free, and I'm 20 minutes from a lake with a thousand miles of shoreline!

Some of us are very happy here, it's our little piece of Paradise, yet there are lots of places with more diversity and culture. I expect all that will eventually catch up to us, but for now, we'll sit back and watch the world go crazy from our humble front porch...which reminds me, I gotta pee.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:06 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,363,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbernard View Post
You don't come to the Ozark Mountains for opera, you come here for a small town atmosphere, scenic beauty, lakes, rivers, to own a piece of ground where you can do with it what you want, and to not be too crowded.
Amen to that!

Old 01-18-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridicter View Post
a perverse sense of pride in your lack of cultural/artistic/intellectual vitality.
Perverse?

Like....if we had "White Entertainment Television"?

BET.com | The Latest Music, Entertainment, and Celebrity News and Fashions, TV Shows and Video | Official Site

Or...."Miss White America"?

Miss Black America.com

Or..."National Association for the Advancement of White People"?

NAACP

Or..."United White People College Fund"?

UNCF

Or...A "White History Month"?

Black History - February is Black History Month - History.com

Why is it that when someone like AWC says he wants to live in a community with certain demographics, he's racist?

Then it's OK for someone like the council woman in Detroit to introduce a bill officially designating part of the downtown area as a "black" zone, to allow only black shopowners, to be shopped by african-americans in the community?

What part of "equality" did I sleep through?

I am of strong southern heritage, and I'm proud of that. I don't make any deal of it because that's my family's concern, nobody elses. I don't fly it like a flag or yell it from the top of the mountain, or sit on talk shows jackin' my jaw about it.

Most people have pride about their heritage. They have a right to, and how they display it is their choice. The strive for African American recognition has lept light years in the last century, and, I believe, has instilled in too many people the opinion that, "You're either on this train or you're a racist". That's just rhetoric, the same as if someone said to you, "You don't love your parents".

Yeah....defend that. "Yes, I do" "No you don't" Yes I do".......

So, when someone comes in and talks about a town that is predominantly white like it's some sort of dirty disease, I gotta wonder if they've ever been to some of the predominantly black cities.

Perverse pride?

Is it perverse when it doesn't fit the acusser's views?

jus' wonderin'..........ya know?

Old 01-18-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
This is why Harrison is the way it is:http://www.uvm.edu/~jloewen/sundownt...ow.php?id=1017

It was a sundown town.
Well...we haven't been reminded of that for a week or so.

Yes, it was.

And some towns were slaughtering Mormons...

The Mormons | People & Events | PBS

Do they still?

And the Mormons were slaughtering pioneers going west, and commiting other atrocities...

Mountain Meadows massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do they still?

We can cite many other events of turmoil that were racially or religiously based that occured in history, and if one digs hard enough, we can probably condemn most cities in most states, and, while we're at it, every religion you can think of.

History is recorded for the scholars, but too often cited by those trying to make a point for an argument they cannot sustain.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas