Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 08:24 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I just ran out of the office to pick up lunch. Driving back on a busy street, a squirrel darts from the other side of the road, I slam on my brakes, thinking, "Stupid squirrel, what the..." when an American Bald Eagle, huge, beautiful, lunges down, inches from the bumper of the car, and snatches the squirrel up and soars upward. Amazing moment.
Money can't buy a sight like that.

You can watch all the National Geographic channel you like, but if you've never seen an eagle or a hawk swoop and hit, you really don't know what you're missing.

Last summer I was on the deck one early morning kind of watching a field with one eye.

I see a streak, then a rolling fur ball, and it takes a second to figure out what I saw when a bobcat arose with a twitching rabbit in it's mouth.

Oh.........I'm gettin' all Marlin Perkins like over here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 09:37 AM

292 posts, read 1,307,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I just ran out of the office to pick up lunch. Driving back on a busy street, a squirrel darts from the other side of the road, I slam on my brakes, thinking, "Stupid squirrel, what the..." when an American Bald Eagle, huge, beautiful, lunges down, inches from the bumper of the car, and snatches the squirrel up and soars upward. Amazing moment.
Oh, that's cool. We saw an eagle in the woods once when we were at the cabin, driving around on the back roads. And I'm glad he got the squirrel....I hate squirrels. They are all over my yard, and they get all my pears and pecans.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvarkansas View Post
Oh, that's cool. We saw an eagle in the woods once when we were at the cabin, driving around on the back roads. And I'm glad he got the squirrel....I hate squirrels. They are all over my yard, and they get all my pears and pecans.
Now.........

Tell me you've never eaten squirrel.

*Everybody* has eaten squirrel.

Breaded and fried for breakfast...oh yeah.

When I was working up north, they chewed through the side of my house and were living in the attic. I'd get them out, fix the damage, and they'd chew their way back in.

Kept telling myself, "Now..you live in the city...folks feed these vermin and think they're cute".

Finally went over the edge.

Bought a BB gun, took the screen out of a rear window, and I started eating squirrel again.

By fall, the widda-lady next door said, "I wonder where all the squirrels went?"

Uh.....I dunno.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:13 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,784,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Now.........

Bought a BB gun, took the screen out of a rear window, and I started eating squirrel again.

By fall, the widda-lady next door said, "I wonder where all the squirrels went?"

Uh.....I dunno.
SO THAT WAS YOU!!!

Sorry couldn't help myself - having a wicked day!

Old 10-31-2008, 12:50 PM

292 posts, read 1,307,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Now.........

Tell me you've never eaten squirrel.

*Everybody* has eaten squirrel.

Breaded and fried for breakfast...oh yeah.

When I was working up north, they chewed through the side of my house and were living in the attic. I'd get them out, fix the damage, and they'd chew their way back in.

Kept telling myself, "Now..you live in the city...folks feed these vermin and think they're cute".

Uh.....I dunno.
I ate squirrel when I was a kid. My great-grandmother used to fry them. But I've never eaten any since. No hunters in my family. Can't even remember what they tasted like.

My sorry BB gun wouldn't kill a squirrel, but if it would, I'd sure use it on 'em. I'd at least let my cat eat them, or maybe the neighbor's dogs. (Is there something I could sprinkle on them to paralyze the dogs' vocal cords?) heehee

Old 10-31-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvarkansas View Post
(Is there something I could sprinkle on them to paralyze the dogs' vocal cords?)
Probly.....

Check here:

Tater Reds Lucky Mojos and Voodoo Healings

Red's always taken care of me in times of bad gris-gris.

If you're in town, drop in and see him, and ask him about Jerry Lee Lewis on the hotel elevator at 2:00 A.M. (IIRC) with a crossbow.

That Red....he's a hoot.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:08 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Co-worker just got back from lunch. He and his wife went to a new Chinese place in town. They sit down and the one waitress comes out from the back with a tray, walks to their table and sets down four entrees. They tell her, "No, no, this isn't ours, we haven't ordered yet." She looks back blankly, and they take the tray and start to put the food back on it. She darts back to the kitchen, and the cook comes out. "Why you no like? You eat it!!" They keep repeating, "It's not ours," when a table across the way says, "Ummm, we think that's our order." They come and take the tray to their table. The cook goes back to the kitchen with the waitress, and the waitress runs out with another tray of food, as she passes my co-worker's, she sets down a dish of crab ragoon. They still haven't ordered, but maybe this is like the chips at a Mexican restaurant? It's delicious, a terrific appetizer. The waitress has distributed this second tray, and people are beginning to call out, "This isn't mine, who gets the beef broccoli?" or "Anybody got my shrimp?" or "Sweet and sour, I've got someone's sweet and sour!" Everyone's laughing and switching plates, when someone says, "I'm missing my crab rangoon." Ooops! The next tray comes out, and as the waitress is distributing, people are standing up, craning for a look, while the bemused person receiving the plate is trying to figure out which dish to call out. My co-worker catches the waitress's attention to give her their order, and she's "You want General Tso Chicken and egg rolls? Why you want both? I just brought you crab." "Because that's what I want. And we didn't order the crab." "You order it, you eat it!" "No, this is our order. We haven't ordered before. This is what we want." The guy at the table behind them says, "I ordered the crab rangoon. I still need an order of the crab." "You no order it!" "Yes, yes, I want the crab." The cook comes back out, says to the guy, "Why you want to confuse her? You just eat it!" And everyone in the place bursts out laughing.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:15 PM

908 posts, read 2,852,933 times
You know you live in Arkansas when game can wander too close to a family gathering and end up shot, cleaned, cooked and eaten without anyone so much as blinking an eye.

You know you live in Arkansas everyone is so busy eating a delicious feast that it's quiet until someone points out not a thing on the table is from the supermarket. Everything is game or out of the garden.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:41 PM

465 posts, read 1,417,015 times
When I worked at a nursing home I knew a guy that ate wild rabbit his whole life until his wife got some kind of disease from it and nearly died.
I tried rabbit once it was OK, I've never tried squirrell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas