U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 11:09 PM

123 posts, read 228,798 times

Advertisements

The City of Texarkana, Ark., wants to get wet and wild with $13 million and construct a waterpark. When completed it will cover 10 acres. A feasibility study for the park, to draw tourists and provide recreation for local residents, should be completed by the end of the year and financing decisions made in 2009. This waterpark will be seen as a catalyst for development including recreatioal, dining and hotel opportunities. People would be attracted from a five state region. Funding possibilities include private development and a bond covered through taxes. The city is gathering information from park designers and developers. The study is looking at the demand of a waterpark, the size of the service area, estimated gate admissions and annual revenue, optimal location and expense of construction, operation and maintenance. Financing could be decided late next year. The park would be a low water use facility and would have enough land to triple the parks size over the next 20 years. It would be located near the planned convention center. Crossroads Business Park near I-30 is being considered as a possible location. The park would be advertised in Shreveport, Little Rock and Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 11:28 PM

521 posts, read 970,595 times
Is there that large of a tourist crowd in Texarkana? I've only driven thru but aren't there other water parks around? Dallas has several, Little Rock has one, and Hot Springs has one. It just seems strange that there would be a market for one in Texarkana when there are some only a short drive away.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:35 PM

If you would have read the article then you would've answered your own question. The waterpark would not only be advertised locally but in a 5 state region so they are wanting to make this more than just a local attraction. Plus there's always a chance the admission fare will be more affordable than the bigger cities like Dallas or Little Rock so that could pull in more business as well.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:20 PM

521 posts, read 970,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
If you would have read the article then you would've answered your own question. The waterpark would not only be advertised locally but in a 5 state region so they are wanting to make this more than just a local attraction. Plus there's always a chance the admission fare will be more affordable than the bigger cities like Dallas or Little Rock so that could pull in more business as well.
I did read the article but it did not answer my question. Why would someone living in Dallas or Little Rock drive a few hours to Texarkana when they have a water park in their own backyard? Admission may be cheaper but when you add gas to get there and back it's not.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:10 AM

The only thing I can tell you is maybe they will market it using the small town angle. Also cities like Dallas and Little Rock have very large trade areas so maybe they're trying to attract some of those people.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:37 PM

77 posts, read 118,110 times
Texarkana sucks. No water park will make me want 2 live there ever again.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:13 PM

7 posts, read 23,693 times
Yeah. Texarkana blows major ass. Stupid people and bad drivers. The place looks like a revived ghost town.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,536 times
I live in Texarkana and I am thrilled at the consideration for a waterpark here! I have lived in other cities within a 70 mile radius around Texarkana for the past 20 years and I firmly believe that it would be a great success! There are numerous, small communities surrounding Texarkana that would benefit from a waterpark.

Recently, an article was published in the Texarkana Gazette that reported how well Texarkana has faired during this recession/depression. This was largely due to the stability of the housing market. Texarkana has continued to grow and there are also plans for a large "boardwalk" type mall.

I'm very proud to live here and I think it's a great place to raise my family. My husband is a coach at a local private school and I work in the medical field. It's funny that I ran across this thread today looking for local waterparks and some type of summer recreation spot to take my kids to today. Seems I will have to do some distance driving to get to one! Thank you for the information. I look forward to hearing more about this plan and hope that it works out!

Old 06-20-2009, 09:35 AM

50,096 posts, read 42,518,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denise39 View Post
I live in Texarkana and I am thrilled at the consideration for a waterpark here! I have lived in other cities within a 70 mile radius around Texarkana for the past 20 years and I firmly believe that it would be a great success! There are numerous, small communities surrounding Texarkana that would benefit from a waterpark.

Recently, an article was published in the Texarkana Gazette that reported how well Texarkana has faired during this recession/depression. This was largely due to the stability of the housing market. Texarkana has continued to grow and there are also plans for a large "boardwalk" type mall.

I'm very proud to live here and I think it's a great place to raise my family. My husband is a coach at a local private school and I work in the medical field. It's funny that I ran across this thread today looking for local waterparks and some type of summer recreation spot to take my kids to today. Seems I will have to do some distance driving to get to one! Thank you for the information. I look forward to hearing more about this plan and hope that it works out!
Keep the positive thoughts. It is hard to know why some thing the place sucks as the one responder put it, but I am sure it is a good place. We thought of checking it out we just fell in love with NWA and that is where we settled.

Nita

Old 06-24-2009, 03:40 PM

27 posts, read 50,158 times
I think it would be a good thing for the area & for kids to stay out of trouble. But they are basically only doing it because of Texarkana's location and to get more of people money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas