Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 11:27 AM

620 posts, read 2,076,374 times

Advertisements

Then phonetics it is.

Ebonics derives its form from ebony (black) and phonics (sound, the study of sound) and refers to the study of the language of black people in all its cultural uniqueness. - Robert Williams, author of Ebonics: The True Language of Black Folks and inventor of the word "ebonics."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 11:49 AM

837 posts, read 2,240,880 times
It's not just black folks who say it like that, in my experience! I say it that way myself.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:37 PM

It is an interesting adaptation. It could be that the difference developed regionally. The one being hillbilly, the other being flatlander. Arkansas has the potential for that kind of differentiation in dialects. I'm no expert on this. I just find the etymology of words and their pronunciations interesting.

"Fixing to" is synonymous with "intending to or preparing to." When you get away from Arkansas, people think is kinda quirky to say it. Here is Arkansas, the usage is quite common.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:58 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,174,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Winkus View Post
It is an interesting adaptation. It could be that the difference developed regionally. The one being hillbilly, the other being flatlander. Arkansas has the potential for that kind of differentiation in dialects. I'm no expert on this. I just find the etymology of words and their pronunciations interesting.

"Fixing to" is synonymous with "intending to or preparing to." When you get away from Arkansas, people think is kinda quirky to say it. Here is Arkansas, the usage is quite common.
Heck my grandkids grew up "fixin to" in the burbs of Dallas.

Nita

Old 08-23-2009, 03:54 PM

Must be transplanted Arkies then.

Just kidding. I never knew that anyone said it any other way before I left Arkansas.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:05 PM

82 posts, read 223,076 times
Default "Fixing to"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Winkus View Post

This is one of the first Southernisms that I learned when we started spending summers in the Middle TN area, as kids. To me it sounds like "fittin' to".

"Tore up" is also big here as in "My car is tore up."

This could mean anything from it being out of gas, having a flat tire or completely missing an engine.

After living in the area for the past 20+ years, they are part of my everyday life. I love it when I call relatives in NJ, it always takes them a minute or 2 to figure out who it is.

Dawn

Old 08-24-2009, 09:37 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,185,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip-n-Bit View Post
"Tore up" is also big here as in "My car is tore up."

This could mean anything from it being out of gas, having a flat tire or completely missing an engine.
You made me chortle loudly in a rude manner.

I can't tell you how many times I have heard that.

I was at a friends farm yesterday that got badly burnt in a fire, and had to have skin grafts on one leg. When asked how things are, he replied that his "leg's still tore up a little".

Then said he was "fittenta" have a beer, did I want one?

Just one to start with, please. I need one hand free to swat the wasps.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:16 AM

Those white anglo-saxon protestants are such pests.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:10 PM

82 posts, read 223,076 times
Just spewed Pepsi everywhere!

Thanks, Guys! LOL

Dawn

Old 08-24-2009, 05:50 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,341,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip-n-Bit View Post
Just spewed Coke everywhere!

Thanks, Guys! LOL

Dawn
fyp. Don't you know, everything that has carbonation is "Coke" in the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas