U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2009, 11:19 AM

111 posts, read 379,436 times

Advertisements

There is a difference between "fussy" and necessary. I know that there are communities that go off the rails big time in this area of code enforcement. I can assure anyone that CV is not in that place. These are necessary and basic standards for a resort community with full time residents and rentals. Everything is heading in the right direction with sensible and necessary actions only.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 03:34 PM

1,661 posts, read 4,163,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timtheman View Post
There is a difference between "fussy" and necessary. I know that there are communities that go off the rails big time in this area of code enforcement. I can assure anyone that CV is not in that place. These are necessary and basic standards for a resort community with full time residents and rentals. Everything is heading in the right direction with sensible and necessary actions only.
Sometimes people overreact.

All the way from a fussy neighbor to a public official.

I have seen in one town, locally, a police officer dismissed because a citizen "perceived" that she was being disrespectful.

That's outlandish...but then again, on a negative, that's Arkansas.

And you don't hear me make negarive comments very often.

Incidents of an outlandish nature don't occur everyday, but rest assured they occur everywhere. No town, city, village, region, or county is immune. I know outlandish. Believe me.

The only question is, how much outlandish can you put up with?

Heh....that's kind of like 'Dirty Harry'.

"Do ya feel lucky, punk?"

Old 09-25-2009, 03:45 PM

RogMar,

I get your point. I think that the standard I use is that of an imperfect world with a community trying to be its best self. The depth of the problem before the recent round of code enforcement was so serious that any perceived "over-reaction" is hardly worth mentioning.

Usually those who complain in CV are not located in the areas that need the most help. What they are really responding to is the Bill of Assurances that go all the way back to Mr. Cooper in the 1950s and which are available for anyone to read on the City website. They deal with things like setbacks and fences and so on.

What we are talking about here is things like junk in yards, trash, massive failures at upkeep and so on. We are talking about eyesores and health issues that affect others in serious ways. Often they are a part of the rental market or part-yearers who don't keep up things when they are away. Ususally the folks who complain about code enforcement don't live around those extreme conditions but in nicer parts of the Village -- or they are the offenders themselves!

Again, I'm open to stories, but anyone who lives in CV knows that there are whole areas that need this code attention. The City has done a great job.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
RogMar,

What we are talking about here is things like junk in yards, trash, massive failures at upkeep and so on. are whole areas that need this code attention.
OH...believe me, I hear ya.

I know from *long* personal experience in a number of areas and talking with a large number of public officials that the balance sometimes gets out of whack.

Here's the formula:

Folks from a subdivision in Racine retire and buy property in CV. Now, where they lived for the last 15 years had a strong HOA. There was your choice of 3 mailboxes, 3 styles of fence, no TV antennas, no cars parked on the street for over 24 hours....you know...*major* things.

So, they move into their dream home, and about 8:00 P.M., while they're watching their 'Beverly Hillbilly' tapes (season 2), some kid with a loud muffler drives by the house and they can't hear Ellie Mae for a minute.

So...the next day they delve innto the ordinances. "OH....look, Marge....it says you can't do *this..and you can't do *that*...and didn't that house down the street have one of those out, and aren't those folks in back of us doing this..."

The phone call goes to their community rep, police dept., CSO, whoever.

The first of many.

Now, I will absolutely guarantee you, that if you're calling about some problem that is so petty that it's unbelievable, that in most cities they'd chortle at and go about their business, in a small town that ain't going to happen.

In a small town, gated community, retirement enclave, those people are going to get *lots* of attention, and probably have the Chief answering a few of those calls himself.

If there's an ordinance that says you can't water your lawn between 9:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M., and you do it, and I start calling in, I guarantee you're going to get a citation eventually.

In larger cities they're going to send a car and tell you, "Look...we've got other calls...there's serious stuff....we have just so many people...you call 911 once more about the dog relieving himself on your rose bushes, and we'll arrest you".

I've talked to a lot of police officers and ordinance officers over the last few years, and it varys not.

No, that's not everybody there, nor a majority, it's actually a small minority.

However, sooner or later, one single gnat that won't go away just pi$$es me off.

BTW, the meth labs over there, the families that are renting and raising their 3rd generation of burglers, the repeat felons, etc., oh.....you're preachin' to the choir.

If you can get them out because they don't cut their grass, have garbage bags or an oven in back of the house, you go, boy.

But....sometimes it gets out of whack. Maybe it's good right now, but I have heard *far* too many conversations and talked with people to ever believe it's hassle free.

I'm not singling the Village out, you share a wide paltform.

Last edited by RogMar; 09-25-2009 at 07:21 PM..

Old 09-25-2009, 07:03 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,959,152 times
Why have a rule that says you can't water between 9 and 3 , then allow some jerk to water when he pleases.

Why have ordinances about dogs then say nothing when the neighbor dog pees on your bushes?

If those things were important enough to be covered in the rules------enforce them.

Maybe people should read the rules of a gated/retirement community before they move there.

Better to say---------" I can't follow those rules"--and buy elsewhere than say ---" I won't follow those rules"---and buy anyway.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:31 PM

RogMar,

Blaming those out-of-Staters-who-move-in-and-try-to-make-things-like-they-were-where-they-came-from is a myth of whopping proportions that sells to local resentment but is unhelpful, untrue, and evasive. Not a single bit of truth about it in CV.

This is about many years of deterioration in certain areas. Actual trash spilled out on the lawns with dogs at it and strewn all over, broken down junk, sofas on the front lawn, and broken rusted toys that haven't been used in 10 years, and gutted house rubbish left out front for months, that's what we are talking about. This is about civilization 101. Nothing "fussy" about it.

I know what you're talking about RogMar - -that kind of "fussy" is bad but it has not a thing to do with real life in the Village. If anything, I would say it is local real estate interests that push to keep certain areas up and have likewise turned a blind eye to rentals in other areas. You can be sure that if a house needs to be sold and there's an eyesore nearby they are on the phone in a heartbeat.

The City has shown no partiality and finally there is just one standard -- not a fussy so-called-out-of-State-one. No, just basic decency, trash and junk removal. In fact, what Code Enforcement does is less than what Cooper clearly wanted himself in the Bills of Assurance. He was hardly an "out-of-stater."

Old 09-25-2009, 07:39 PM

RogMar,

Seems like I'm a little over sensitive!

Old 09-25-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
If those things were important enough to be covered in the rules------enforce them.
That's simple.....

However, easier said than done when you're averaging 350 radio calls per hour with a skeleton crew of 20 street cops, 22 residential burglaries per 24 hour period, 4 homicides a month, not counting the aggravated batteries, home invasions, at least one "officer-needs-assistance" emergency call every day, not to mention the shopliftings, domestics, aggravated traffic offenses (that's when..like..somebody plows into your porch @ 30 mph), and all the other gaiety that goes with it.

And....why can't you solve it? I mean, You've got 4 (sometimes) detectives assigned. They *could* forgoe their vacations if they *really* wanted to amke progress.

Oh...I'm sure that in a town of 2,000, those rosebushes get attention.

I understand that.

However, where I come from, you can shove those rosebushes up your <nose>.

It is the councilmen that make those ordinances, and when they start hitting the street and getting shot at and stabbed, we'll take a look at those rose bushes.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
RogMar,

Blaming those out-of-Staters-who-move-in-and-try-to-make-things-like-they-were-where-they-came-from is a myth of whopping proportions that sells to local resentment but is unhelpful, untrue, and evasive. Not a single bit of truth about it in CV.
Well, Tim, we're going to agree to disagre on this one.

I've been going to Cherokee Village since 1978. If I had a nickel for every disparaging comment about southerners and how stupid they are, and how we did it the right way in Ann Arbor, and..

I'd be living in St. Tropez instead of here.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still be hunting.

I've seen waves, I've seen revolt there. I saw the Village go from SID to being a city.

I've sat in the restaurants and bars and listened to conversation around me for a *long* time.

Don't get me wrong, Tim, I'm condemning no one, but it is what it is. CV is a beautiful place. It has a lot of nice people in it, and...yes, I certainly concur with making the trash clean up their places. they do nothing but upset caring people and drag property values down.

However, it has, and always has had, a varying contingent that just wishes that Arkansas would go away so they don't have to listen to that drawl when they venture out on the four lane.

Maybe you haven't met a lot of them, mi amigo, but they are there, and always have been.

The couple I bought my place from sold because of the "hillbillys" all around in 1977.

They never did figure out they sold to a hillbilly.

Naw, man. You're not over sensitive........

Just..."spirited"..as we use to say.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:55 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,959,152 times
I didn't realize Cherokee Village has---------350 calls per hour
-------------------------------------------22 residental burglaries per 24 hour period
-------------------------------------------4 homicides per month

If you're not talking about CV, your point is ???????????????????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas