U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 08:11 PM

111 posts, read 379,647 times

Advertisements

ChristyVAtoCV,

It is very important to visit CV. You will have a good sense of things then. I am surprised by the post that speaks of the Town Houses. Firstly, they are not located in just one area. In fact, many of the town houses make up some of the nicest housing in CV. If there was a bad rental here or there, that would be the huge exception. The folks that I've know who live in them have been quite happy. Again, they are not just in one place and some locations are really very nice.

As for CV in general, there are parts of the Village that are "older" and some of the houses in those sections -- including rentals - can be tired. There are some less than great parts of CV. But those are the exception and it is important to understand that CV is HUGE. There are lake homes and golf course homes that are among the nicest houses around. There are many side streets with charming homes and stunning views. You just need to go and look for yourself. As for your lots, the same is true. They may be fantastic or just ordinary. You need to see the terrain and area. Also, before you build or do anything you need to contact City Hall and find out the rules that apply to your particular area.

I really think that you will love CV. However, it is not a "fantasy" place but a very special place with great living and great cost of living. I have met fantastic people there. The only down side is the local economy. Jobs are not many so it is a place best to come with retirement income or some proven way of making money on the internet or something. Let us know how it goes for you. Come visit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 06:31 AM

7 posts, read 17,090 times
Timtheman,

Thank you for answering!

I'm actually hoping that CV isn't a fantasy place..those places tend to get filled up and very tense once people find out. What I'm looking for is just what you mentioned a place to relax after a harrowing career, do my "homesteading" (gardening and such) with a decent cost of living for my pension.

CV itself is what I'm looking for. I suppose what I really want to know is...did I buy my lots in the right place? I wasn't seeking the lakeside lots since I'm waterfront now and have had more than enough of the noise of jet skis early on Sunday when I finally have a day off. When I drove around CV, I didn't have my lots yet and had marked down areas where I wouldn't buy and ones I saw that were especially nice, but there's no way to remember the situation at every street after a couple of years. As you said, it is a huge place. So when I bought, I bought in an area I hadn't marked at all. Good or bad. As a brief visitor just driving through, no one tells you the really bad stuff. Of course.
If anyone does live there and knows Otalco drive and can give me a frank assessment of that location, I'd be more than grateful! Did that area flood? Is that a bad street for relaxed living? Is it a troubled area? Is it too close to the airport and likely to be noisy?

Again, I appreciate so much your answering. As soon as I can get anything more than a few days off work (and since my station this time is upper level staff it doesn't seem likely near term) I'll be spending time there. I'm getting a new perc test and a good survey done also.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:46 PM

ChrsityinVAtoCV,

It sounds like you enjoyed your trip and bought your lots afterwards hoping for the best. You're not alone for sure. Many of us first got to CV through lots that were purchased without a complete knowledge of the location/area. You did come and look first at the Village which is a lot more than many folks do before picking up a lot or two. Good for you! The exact location on Otalco probably matters but my review of the area via google shows some real nice mostly undeveloped landscape. One home recently sold on Otalco went for 79,000 which is a pretty decent indicator of a solid area for CV. Of course, the terrain matters and you do want to contact City Hall about the building restrictions in the area. You seem to have the formula in mind that makes CV make sense -- cost of living, taxes, pension, and natural beauty. Please know that the soil is really rocky and clay is common. There are exceptions but growing food may take some development of the lot. I don't know. It might be possible to get some photos and impressions of the lots through a friend of mine. Let me know if you want to pursue that. Good luck with your plans.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:23 PM

7 posts, read 17,090 times
Timtheman,

I would love to get photos or some impressions or anything like that!

Yes, I've heard about the soil. I heard a humorous description of the soil out there that the worms don't reproduce in the dirt, the rocks do. LOL.

Right now I do raised bed intensive gardening because I have super clayish soil here and frequent flooding. It's so productive and controllable, that I'll probably continue that too so I'm in no hurry to make the soil produce. I'll take my time and do it right.

What else should I know..what about the people? Will it be fairly easy to meld into the community or will I need to wait a few generations before we aren't newbies.

Thanks so far for all the info. I've really enjoyed it!

Christy

Old 04-12-2010, 09:22 AM

18 posts, read 48,029 times
Yes I agree, Hidden Valley is very DUMPY looking, wouldn't want that for my view!

Old 04-16-2010, 07:25 AM

570 posts, read 1,313,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joni51 View Post
Yes I agree, Hidden Valley is very DUMPY looking, wouldn't want that for my view!
Do you think they will ever clean the place up? It's to bad that some of the homes are let go the way they are and others are real nice. But the way the place looks brings the values down on the whole town.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:08 AM

adysmom,

One of the greatest mistakes these various villages make in the Ozarks is thinking that you can develop and draw folks on the so-called higher end of the market without addressing -- cleaning up -- the so-called lower end of the market. Only code enforcement can do this coupled with control of the rental market by forcing inspections/needed improvements every time tenants vacate. By addressing those issues you raise the whole boat.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:25 AM

65,017 posts, read 72,828,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timtheman View Post
adysmom,

One of the greatest mistakes these various villages make in the Ozarks is thinking that you can develop and draw folks on the so-called higher end of the market without addressing -- cleaning up -- the so-called lower end of the market. Only code enforcement can do this coupled with control of the rental market by forcing inspections/needed improvements every time tenants vacate. By addressing those issues you raise the whole boat.
Just for you information, although I have never been to HSV, I know many who have and it pretty much upscale with a good part of the population in the middle to higher income levels, this certainly holds true for BV. I don't know about CV..Do we have some less than wonderful sections of town? Of course, all cities do, but overall BV has drawn a huge number of upper end of the market as you call it..wouldn't be my way of saying upper middle class but whatever works.

NIta

Old 04-21-2010, 07:43 AM

Thanks for your post. My point is a little hard to convey and economic "classes" aren't a part of what I mean. It's not about "classes" but property maintenance. While it is true that there tends to be fewer rundown "upscale" houses, this is by no means completely true in CV. There are many very "modest" areas where the upkeep is very high and the areas are wonderful. What people need is an incentive or a serious nudge. "Upscale" parts tend to have that incentive largely in the property values, actual ownership and the pressure of neighbors. The rental-mixed areas don't and they need Code Enforcement to keep a very close eye. CV has seen a huge turn-around due to Code Enforcement and it raises the whole boat, most including the quality of life for those really trying so hard - -and there are many of them -- in the more "modest" parts. This is about basic incentives and conditions -- not "classes." My chief concern is with the property upkeep by those who control the rental market or are absentee landlords.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:34 PM

1,661 posts, read 4,166,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timtheman View Post
Thanks for your post. My point is a little hard to convey and economic "classes" aren't a part of what I mean. It's not about "classes" but property maintenance. While it is true that there tends to be fewer rundown "upscale" houses, this is by no means completely true in CV. There are many very "modest" areas where the upkeep is very high and the areas are wonderful. What people need is an incentive or a serious nudge. "Upscale" parts tend to have that incentive largely in the property values, actual ownership and the pressure of neighbors. The rental-mixed areas don't and they need Code Enforcement to keep a very close eye. CV has seen a huge turn-around due to Code Enforcement and it raises the whole boat, most including the quality of life for those really trying so hard - -and there are many of them -- in the more "modest" parts. This is about basic incentives and conditions -- not "classes." My chief concern is with the property upkeep by those who control the rental market or are absentee landlords.
They might also work on a way to stop being the lead in local arrest reports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas