U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 03:44 PM

3 posts, read 11,871 times

Advertisements

Thank You so much for the reviews on Paragould, it sounds like a nice small safe town to raise kids in. I have 2 daughters 8 & 5. plus a cat & dog. How are the people there towards "welcoming" a (I hate to admit to it, LOL but...... a northerner from Ohio?

Old 05-17-2007, 04:33 PM

3,434 posts, read 8,799,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinc76 View Post
Thank You so much for the reviews on Paragould, it sounds like a nice small safe town to raise kids in. I have 2 daughters 8 & 5. plus a cat & dog. How are the people there towards "welcoming" a (I hate to admit to it, LOL but...... a northerner from Ohio?
my mom is from Canton, Ohio, Have family that love to visit here from Michigan, and there alot of people here, well maybe not alot but several here from up north, you just need to work on saying Yall instead of you guys-lol j/k

Old 05-21-2007, 10:46 AM

4 posts, read 15,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinc76 View Post
"Ya'll" would certainly be a good start. During the early boom years of the auto industry in MI, many people from Paragould migrated north for work. Many have since retired and/or moved back, so there is a lot of the "old north" here.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:48 AM

4 posts, read 15,904 times
By the way, I also have a 5 year old (6 in August '07), a 4 year old, and a (almost) 2 year old. Which school are you looking to enroll the kids in? We are in the GCT district.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkansas_buff View Post
By the way, I also have a 5 year old (6 in August '07), a 4 year old, and a (almost) 2 year old. Which school are you looking to enroll the kids in? We are in the GCT district.
My suggestion is GCT for sure, just a little partial to that school!

Old 05-22-2007, 05:47 PM

17 posts, read 78,506 times
I don't think Paragould is that small town. I live about 30 minutes form there. I'm a junkie, meaning I love to prowl around in junk and antique stores, and there are plenty there. Lots of nice places to eat out.

And the hospital, I was really impressed with it.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:20 PM

233 posts, read 712,430 times
the paragould hospital is possibly the worst hospital i have ever visited. unless you're dying i would suggest going to jonesboro for medical attention. although, most of the individual practices arent half bad.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:27 PM

3 posts, read 8,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
You actually live in Paragould? Cool! I'll be sending you a PM shortly
Hello there I moved to Paragould 5 years ago. I like it because its a quite place and much cheaper than Tennesse. Pm me if ya like.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:13 PM

4 posts, read 12,272 times
Default Think about it carefully

First off, the crime rate isn't low in Paragould at all. I moved here just 8 months ago and during my short stay here I have had my vehicle broken into twice, my mail stolen, my tools stolen off my patio. Someone even stole my birdhouse. When my car was vandalized I made the mistake of calling the police who started off by asking me, "well now what did you do to make 'em want to damage your car." Much of the crime isn't reported simply because everyone knows the futility of doing so. Drug use is a huge problem here and a probable cause of all the property crime.

If you are an educated person who speaks without a southern accent and you do not have a substance abuse problem then think twice about moving here.

If you do decide to move here then you better get use to the smell of your neighbors burning toxic trash, the sound of slack jawed locals asking, "You aren't from around here are you?" It takes awhile to realize it isn't a question but an accusation. Then there is the extremely loud sound of BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! music that drones on day and night. So if you like really loud rap music then come on down. Then there is the constant barking of dogs everyone here has a dog.

Paragould is a small place for small people (Think culturally or mentally but not physically because there are a lot of fatties here). The only thing big here besides the corruption is religion that borders on fanatical obsession. If you don't belong to a church then you are looked at like a space alien.

And to anyone that wants to say," if you don't like it then why don't you move?" My reply is look at my FOR SALE sign sticking up proudly in my front lawn - that is if someone hasn't stolen it!

Old 07-15-2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDavis View Post
First off, the crime rate isn't low in Paragould at all. I moved here just 8 months ago and during my short stay here I have had my vehicle broken into twice, my mail stolen, my tools stolen off my patio. Someone even stole my birdhouse. When my car was vandalized I made the mistake of calling the police who started off by asking me, "well now what did you do to make 'em want to damage your car." Much of the crime isn't reported simply because everyone knows the futility of doing so. Drug use is a huge problem here and a probable cause of all the property crime.

If you are an educated person who speaks without a southern accent and you do not have a substance abuse problem then think twice about moving here.

If you do decide to move here then you better get use to the smell of your neighbors burning toxic trash, the sound of slack jawed locals asking, "You aren't from around here are you?" It takes awhile to realize it isn't a question but an accusation. Then there is the extremely loud sound of BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! music that drones on day and night. So if you like really loud rap music then come on down. Then there is the constant barking of dogs everyone here has a dog.

Paragould is a small place for small people (Think culturally or mentally but not physically because there are a lot of fatties here). The only thing big here besides the corruption is religion that borders on fanatical obsession. If you don't belong to a church then you are looked at like a space alien.

And to anyone that wants to say," if you don't like it then why don't you move?" My reply is look at my FOR SALE sign sticking up proudly in my front lawn - that is if someone hasn't stolen it!
apperntly you live close to the "east" side of towns close to the tracks. not a "great" neigborhood. If i would suggest moving ...id suggest anything west of the tracks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas