U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,189 times

Advertisements

Hi. We're wanting to move to Arkansas. My husband is a big duck hunter and I just love hills and lakes. What areas does anyone recommend? I'm an occupational therapist assistant working in a nursing home and my husband is a salesman for a bearing distributing company. Are jobs plentiful there? Also we have 2 kids 1 elementary, 1 high school. We like small towns with close access to shopping, medical, etc. Any hope with Arkansas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 08:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,553 times
Default Arkansas is beautiful!

You'd love the Hot Springs area if you like mountains, clear lakes and streams.
And since Hot Springs is a big retirement community, you won't have any trouble finding work in a Nursing Home or Retirement Center.
Contact me if you need any assistance.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:46 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,849,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammike View Post
Hi. We're wanting to move to Arkansas. My husband is a big duck hunter and I just love hills and lakes. What areas does anyone recommend? I'm an occupational therapist assistant working in a nursing home and my husband is a salesman for a bearing distributing company. Are jobs plentiful there? Also we have 2 kids 1 elementary, 1 high school. We like small towns with close access to shopping, medical, etc. Any hope with Arkansas?
The delta region is considered the duck hunting mecca of the state. I believe Stuttgart has a museum devoted to duck hunting. However, jobs may not be plentiful there except for the rice industry.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:24 PM

42 posts, read 184,257 times
You might try the Springdale area. That area is growing several towns together so there is plenty of job rescources and still can find housing outside the metropolis....there are two lake systems in the area, beaver lake and bull shoals which may offer some type of duck hunting...check the Army Corps of Engineer websites to obtain lake info on hunting.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:48 PM

132 posts, read 704,888 times
Stuttgart is the duck capital of the world, but it's out in the middle of nowhere
shopping medical, etc? good luck

better to find the schools and shopping and let him go to the ducks
My choice would be Jonesboro (or northwest arkansas, but no ducks there)

Old 03-05-2007, 08:54 PM
ktg

9 posts, read 53,554 times
I would have to ask you where you are moving from to give you the best answer, but we have loved living in bentonville and great schools here too!

Old 08-20-2007, 09:06 AM
jcj

22 posts, read 78,390 times
although stuttgart is the duck capital of the world the post obove is right. "it is in the middle of nowhere." If i was you i would look at the northern area. Conway is a nice town with plenty of job opportunities and close to hospitals and things lke that. Not to mention, ive seen lots of ducks in lake conway, so there is some duck hunting in that area. I think making your move to arkansas is great where ever you go. You can't go wrong living in the natural state!

Old 08-20-2007, 11:49 PM
Status: "Social Darwinism: Society's Autoimmune Disorder" (set 5 days ago)

2,894 posts, read 1,733,076 times
Agreed with Stuttgart! Some family friends live the next county over and used to work in Stuttgart. On the other hand, you'd need to drive at least to the west side of Pine Bluff for hills. However, another alternative is closer to Memphis - Forrest City (or anywhere along Crowley's Ridge - a narrow ridge of HUGE and HIGH hills dissecting the NE part of the state). Both sides of the ridge are flat and are great for duck hunting as well. Plus, if you're wanting cultural amenities, Memphis is only 45 minutes away.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:26 AM

33 posts, read 117,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammike View Post
South Arkansas doesn't have many hills or ducks, but they do have a lot of lakes. In fact, many of South Arkansas residents live close or even on the lakes because they are jobless and they survive by fishing and hunting deer.

So if you're a naturalist and not worried about an income and/or a job, then you'd fit in around South Arkansas.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:56 AM

3,434 posts, read 8,789,142 times
jonesboro...or Paragould...both towns are booming and have two major duck hunting places..black river..which draws people from all over...and the st francis river..which i personally duck hunted on..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or