Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 02:30 PM

2 posts, read 4,471 times

Advertisements

Quick question.....

I am considering taking a job at the Pine Bluff Arsenal but (thanks to all the info on this site) have no interest at all in living in Pine Bluff.

To be honest, the Benton/Bryant option seems like the best one for me.

In reality, how long would the commute be? I mapquested it, but that thing always just gives you a ballpark figure. People who live there are the ones who really know.

I'm from Indianapolis so I don't have a clue.

Any guidance?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jsavage13; 12-10-2008 at 02:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 03:05 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Maybe a bit over an hour. I know people who commute from Benton/Bryant to Pine Bluff.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:21 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,759,851 times
I'm one of the last people to deter someone from coming to AR but unless you just REALLY need a job, I wouldn't commute an hour to work in PB. I have no idea what kind of money they pay but to get me to commute in the hour range again (did it for 7 years) it would have to be outstanding pay or just the job of a lifetime. However...you wouldn't have horrific traffic to commute in so that might make it ok. I don't know though, I almost went crazy doing that kind of commute and I WAS making great coin and working the dream job.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:29 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
I'm one of the last people to deter someone from coming to AR but unless you just REALLY need a job, I wouldn't commute an hour to work in PB. I have no idea what kind of money they pay but to get me to commute in the hour range again (did it for 7 years) it would have to be outstanding pay or just the job of a lifetime. However...you wouldn't have horrific traffic to commute in so that might make it ok. I don't know though, I almost went crazy doing that kind of commute and I WAS making great coin and working the dream job.
Also, remember gas may not stay at $1.50/gal. The commute is easily affordable at these prices, but at $4/gal its not so much.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Also, remember gas may not stay at $1.50/gal. The commute is easily affordable at these prices, but at $4/gal its not so much.
Yep, and I for one certainly don't expect these current fuel prices to last too long.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:41 AM

2 posts, read 4,471 times
Default Thanks for the info

Thanks everyone for all the info. It's not that I NEED the job. But it will be a good one that includes a solid salary and at the present time, I'm just looking for a change of scenery.

But I would like to avoid an hour commute.

I've read hundreds of Arkansas posts on this site and have done my homework, but any advice on other areas perhaps a little closer to Pine Bluff?

I'm a single 27-yr-old white male from Indianapolis. So I do need the convenience of having at least some sort of entertainment and would prefer to be in a place where since I don't know anyone there, I would have some opportunities to meet people and have a good time.

Any decent areas in South Little Rock?

Thanks again.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:42 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,479 times
If you're looking for a small-town atmosphere in proximity to Pine Bluff, you might look more towards East End or Sheridan, both of which are closer to Pine Bluff than Benton and Bryant are.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:43 AM

I would tend to second strum's suggestion of East End. It's almost smack dab between LR and PB. On the down side, it's very small with nothing to do in town proper. If you're looking to rent, you may have trouble finding much that's nice. However, you'd be 15 minutes or so from the Rivermarket and midtown shopping and probably 20 minutes to PB.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:31 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,840 times
The only advantage East End has is it is between LR and the arsenal. There is nothing else there.

White Hall isn't a bad place to live. My wife's sister and her family have lived there for 15+ years. It may not be happening enough for a single, 27 year old guy. On the other hand, it is a close community. My brother-in-law and his friends are always doing something. Hitting the local lakes and river in the summer for boating and skiing. Hunting in the winter. Weekend poker games all year long.

It's still only a 30 minute drive to downtown Little Rock.

-Robert

Old 12-17-2008, 07:25 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
I'm not 100% sure but I think Bryant/Benton are in Saline County, which is a "dry" County. So your nightlife options will be quite limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas