Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 11:05 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Winkus View Post
Hippie Lady, my biggest pet peeve about the education system is that they don't teach modern survival skills.
I can take that a step further, Bull.

I was frolicking in a usenet group, in which there was a hard-core boy scout leader.

With a holier-than-though attitude.

He was giving an account of a week-long camp-out to teach "survival skills", bad weather, critters got their food supply, had to drive into town to get more supplies.

Now, I know the area they were in, and I asked why they didn't get some squirrels or rabbits to supplement, or at least do some fishing in the creek.

He says, "OH....we're not allowed to kill anything."

I'm sorry, what part of "survival" did I miss?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 11:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post

I was frolicking in a usenet group, in which there was a hard-core boy scout leader.

He was giving an account of a week-long camp-out to teach "survival skills", bad weather, critters got their food supply, had to drive into town to get more supplies.

Now, I know the area they were in, and I asked why they didn't get some squirrels or rabbits to supplement, or at least do some fishing in the creek.

great post, I guess the they were vegan maybe? But probably not, they just couldn't teach those wonderful young men what survival is really all about...

Nita

Old 01-13-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I guess the they were vegan maybe?
You know what, Nita? I think you hit it on the head.

Vegan boy scouts.

Learning survival skills.

Like.....

How to make a good latte' over a camp fire.

Proper strapping of the Gucci backpack.

How to keep Buffy from getting half of everything when the big "D" comes.

It's a rough world ya know.

Last edited by RogMar; 01-13-2009 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: Guffawing crudely & hit the wrong key

Old 01-13-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
You know what, Nita? I think you hit it on the head.

Vegan boy scouts.

Learning survival skills.

Like.....

How to make a good latte' over a camp fire.

Proper strapping of the Gucci backpack.

How to keep Buffy from getting half of everything when the big "D" comes.

It's a rough world ya know.
and what part of AR was this in? Please don't tell me NWA, we already have a bad name from some you know??

Nita

Old 01-13-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and what part of AR was this in? Please don't tell me NWA, we already have a bad name from some you know??

Nita
Actually, it wasn't Arakansas. That would be really scary.

It was in Chicago.

They went to some big woodsy-type scout camp "way out" in the country.

The OP, knowing my environ, hoped to get some level of credibility from me, and had to mention their "survival" camp, which as far as I could tell, meant they didn't have cable TV out there.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Actually, it wasn't Arakansas. That would be really scary.

It was in Chicago.

They went to some big woodsy-type scout camp "way out" in the country.

The OP, knowing my environ, hoped to get some level of credibility from me, and had to mention their "survival" camp, which as far as I could tell, meant they didn't have cable TV out there.
well I am sorry they didn't have cable but glad they weren't from here. I wonder if they had inter-net in the park where they were camping..

Old 01-13-2009, 05:23 PM

620 posts, read 2,083,312 times
They would these days. (Have Internet) These iPhones are everywhere. All they need is a cell tower or wi-fi and you can get on the web from anywhere. I'm posting this from one now.

It does a lot of stuff but, I don't think it would clean a squirrel, though.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:38 AM

171 posts, read 326,898 times
Default Thanks for the info on fishing!

Quote:
Licenses-Fishing The Arkansas Ozarks-Game & Fish Commission Information

I highly reccomend the trout permit add-on.

A few kernals of corn on a hook, a decent bobber on the line, and you're in for some really fine eatin'.
Thanks for the great license site and the tip about the corn! Since I have access to a stocked fish pond, I will certainly take some advice! I'm sorta new at this fishing thing, but loving it.

How's the bull-frog fishing in Arkansas? I heard the frog-legs are good fried up like chicken. Is this true?

Old 01-14-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hippie Lady View Post
How's the bull-frog fishing in Arkansas? I heard the frog-legs are good fried up like chicken. Is this true?
Well, it's excellent, but you don't "fish" for bullfrogs.

You gig 'em.

At the fishin' store, you'll see a box full of red, three prong, trident-lookin' things. Those are frog gigs.

You take one, and stick it on a broomstick.

Then you drink beer or whatever til dark. That's my favorite part.

Then you put on some waders, get a good flashlight, and a bag, and you down to the pond, or creek. Wade in, with flashlight in one hand, spear in the other, bag attached to your waist, and start walking around the bank and shine your flashlight on the bank until you find a bullfrog. Then, whilst keeping the light in it's eyes, you spear it, and put it in your bag.

Lather, rinse & repeat, until you got a bag of frogs.

Then you take them to your fish-cleaning table, cut their legs off, skin the legs, bread 'em & fry 'em.

I suggest you don't invite a PETA member to help.

Unused frog parts go in the garden.

No....it doesn't taste like chicken. It's better.

If you don't like the process, you can go to the Piggly Wiggly or wherever, and buy a bag of frozen, skinned legs.

But if you do that, I suggest you go easy on the alcohol consumption phase of the process.

They don't cotton to that much.

Don't ask me how I know.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:02 AM

171 posts, read 326,898 times
Default Eating Squirrels

Quote:

No kidding! What if that town was not there? And the vehicle that got them into the woods? Could they find their way North or South? Doubt it! I guess they would have to find the nearest tall high-rise or space needle in order to know where they were.

Would you believe I asked my 14 year old grandson which way the sun rises ever day. Well, he's an almost straight A student, but he did not know for sure! His reply was, "I think it rises MOST OF THE TIME in the East, but I'm not sure." He was sincere! My daughter did a double-take. She's been in a rush to teach basic things now. I would never trust schools to teach the basics.

Someone told me that you should not eat wild rabbits or squirrels during the time that ticks are out. Do you know anything about this? I remember my brothers hunting squirrels in Arkansas when we lived there, but I don't remember if it was all year long.

My dogs certainly don't choose to regard the "hunting license" rule in our state when they chase the rabbits into the woods, away from my garden. Even my doggies are smart enough to know their priorities. If I don't eat, they don't eat! Love the intelligence of the animals around here!

I feel a lot of the "lack of teaching survival skills" is that some parents don't want their children to ever think things might be bad for them. I would recommend sending your newlywed children on a "vacation" to a 3rd world country. Just show them only the pretty little spots there. Get them the package to do the remote tours into reality.

Common sense tells us that at some time we will have to make survival choices. Either physical, mental or financial, etc.

It was amazing during the ice-storm in Oklahoma City a year ago, in December 2007. I heard awful stories of people not supporting each other or getting up off their lazy you know what to help clear limbs from the streets so emergency vehicles could get through. Seems they wanted the "city paid workers" to do it for them. This ice storm occured late in the evening, with only about 1 hour of daylight left to secure things. I suggested my daughter visit her neighbors, all band together and see who had what supplies, etc. Luckily, they did and all survived well. One neighbor had a way to cook hot food, one had a warm place for all to bunk down and others had oil lamps to provide. It was an eye-opener for her and the kids to experience. They still talk proudly about how they survived it all.

The capability to read a map is a real concern of mine. Most kids know nothing about how to read a map. So much for getting from one location to another in a crisis!

Sometimes a "one-liner" can make the difference between life or death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas