Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 09:09 AM

171 posts, read 326,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and what part of AR was this in? Please don't tell me NWA, we already have a bad name from some you know??

Nita
Just let ignorant people keep on thinking like they do, and you will only have smart people in NWA! Cool, huh?

Isn't it true that NWA is second only to Florida for the number of retirees? NWA, I heard, has surpassed good old Colorado for this. It sure helps to maintain a stable environment, financially.

I heard the medical facilities at Mountain Home ranked about 14th in the Nation. That's really good!

Keep on keeping on! Thank God there is a place like Arkansas and it's people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 10:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hippie Lady View Post
Just let ignorant people keep on thinking like they do, and you will only have smart people in NWA! Cool, huh?

Isn't it true that NWA is second only to Florida for the number of retirees? NWA, I heard, has surpassed good old Colorado for this. It sure helps to maintain a stable environment, financially.

I heard the medical facilities at Mountain Home ranked about 14th in the Nation. That's really good!

Keep on keeping on! Thank God there is a place like Arkansas and it's people!
We certainly do have our share of retirees here. Why wouldn't people want to come? We have mild weather but still 4 seasons, we have little wild creatures to watch everywhere (I don't mean kids either) we have mountains, golf courses, streams, lakes, rivers, nice people, all kinds of activities, not too much traffic (depending on where you live) gambling only a few minutes away, plus good medical facilities, lots of restaurants and best of all a rather low cost of living. Yes, some of the people here are even smart, not that this isn't true with many places in Ar. We aren't as dumb as so many people in other areas think we are. We just don't flaunt our brains nor do we think we have to prove something to the world. Now, I will get off my high horse for today...

Old 01-14-2009, 10:19 AM

Default Frog Gigging

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Well, it's excellent, but you don't "fish" for bullfrogs.

You gig 'em.

At the fishin' store, you'll see a box full of red, three prong, trident-lookin' things. Those are frog gigs.

You take one, and stick it on a broomstick.

Then you drink beer or whatever til dark. That's my favorite part.

Then you put on some waders, get a good flashlight, and a bag, and you down to the pond, or creek. Wade in, with flashlight in one hand, spear in the other, bag attached to your waist, and start walking around the bank and shine your flashlight on the bank until you find a bullfrog. Then, whilst keeping the light in it's eyes, you spear it, and put it in your bag.

Lather, rinse & repeat, until you got a bag of frogs.

Then you take them to your fish-cleaning table, cut their legs off, skin the legs, bread 'em & fry 'em.

I suggest you don't invite a PETA member to help.

Unused frog parts go in the garden.

No....it doesn't taste like chicken. It's better.

If you don't like the process, you can go to the Piggly Wiggly or wherever, and buy a bag of frozen, skinned legs.

But if you do that, I suggest you go easy on the alcohol consumption phase of the process.

They don't cotton to that much.

Don't ask me how I know.
Oh God! Thanks for the great "Bull-frog-gigging, leg-frying, beer-drinking Time Management, Process Management Guideline"!!!!

I think you should forward this process to the USA Education System so we can be sure "No Child Is Left Behind" ! Also, the Boy and Girl Scouts of America.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:31 AM

Default People and Critters in Arkansas

Quote:
We certainly do have our share of retirees here. Why wouldn't people want to come? We have mild weather but still 4 seasons, we have little wild creatures to watch everywhere (I don't mean kids either) we have mountains, golf courses, streams, lakes, rivers, nice people, all kinds of activities, not too much traffic (depending on where you live) gambling only a few minutes away, plus good medical facilities, lots of restaurants and best of all a rather low cost of living. Yes, some of the people here are even smart, not that this isn't true with many places in Ar. We aren't as dumb as so many people in other areas think we are. We just don't flaunt our brains nor do we think we have to prove something to the world. Now, I will get off my high horse for today...
While growing up in Arkansas, we were taught to watch our critters very closely. And to take notes and figure them out. Mom and Dad told us that it would prepare us for life in the big city environment.

There's always the "lead cow", leading her "followers" back to the barn. Some of the cows followed the same beaten down path, but you could be sure one of the "adventurous" cows would get off the beaten path. We learned early which cow had the highest "pecking order" and how the other cows worked around that. Squirrels knew how to "save" for a wintery, cold day. Roosters knew when to crow in order to keep things on track. The bulls in the barn knew who was "boss". Ever heard the term "Boss Hog"? Even "high-horse" has it's roots in the countryside!

Ever heard of a "side-winder" or known any? If ever you are called one, try to figure out where that term came from!

Old 01-14-2009, 10:40 AM

Default Flaunting Brains!

Quote:
Just think....if we are good listeners and learn from others, don't we know twice as much as the other.

I know people who can't stand it when it get's too quiet. I'm in awe of that.

Quiet is a good thing.....you can actually hear the wind in the pine trees. You can hear the birds fly. You can actually hear the snow falling in the woods here sometimes. Now, that's the way I like it. (I do love my TV and Stereo, though).

Knowing when to keep quiet and enjoy quiet seems to be a lost art.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:46 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,758,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Well, it's excellent, but you don't "fish" for bullfrogs.

You gig 'em.

At the fishin' store, you'll see a box full of red, three prong, trident-lookin' things. Those are frog gigs.

You take one, and stick it on a broomstick.

Then you drink beer or whatever til dark. That's my favorite part.

Then you put on some waders, get a good flashlight, and a bag, and you down to the pond, or creek. Wade in, with flashlight in one hand, spear in the other, bag attached to your waist, and start walking around the bank and shine your flashlight on the bank until you find a bullfrog. Then, whilst keeping the light in it's eyes, you spear it, and put it in your bag.

Lather, rinse & repeat, until you got a bag of frogs.

Then you take them to your fish-cleaning table, cut their legs off, skin the legs, bread 'em & fry 'em.

I suggest you don't invite a PETA member to help.

Unused frog parts go in the garden.

No....it doesn't taste like chicken. It's better.

If you don't like the process, you can go to the Piggly Wiggly or wherever, and buy a bag of frozen, skinned legs.

But if you do that, I suggest you go easy on the alcohol consumption phase of the process.

They don't cotton to that much.

Don't ask me how I know.

Well now Rog you do it a bit differently than I learned to gig frogs.

I was taught to tie the treble hook onto my fishing line. Drop you about 4-5' of line depending on how tall you area, just enough to maybe touch the ground with the pole out in front of you. You get behind them on the bank (they always face the water!) have your buddy shine the light in their eyes and ease the hook up under the chin, jerk and be ready to catch a squirming, slimy frog. Knock him in the head and then rinse and repeat.

Edit add: Cane poles usually work best cause they're stiffer and more stable when easing the hook up under frog's chin.

Last edited by Stormcrow73; 01-14-2009 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: Added info

Old 01-14-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hippie Lady View Post
While growing up in Arkansas, we were taught to watch our critters very closely. And to take notes and figure them out. Mom and Dad told us that it would prepare us for life in the big city environment.

There's always the "lead cow", leading her "followers" back to the barn. Some of the cows followed the same beaten down path, but you could be sure one of the "adventurous" cows would get off the beaten path. We learned early which cow had the highest "pecking order" and how the other cows worked around that. Squirrels knew how to "save" for a wintery, cold day. Roosters knew when to crow in order to keep things on track. The bulls in the barn knew who was "boss". Ever heard the term "Boss Hog"? Even "high-horse" has it's roots in the countryside!

Ever heard of a "side-winder" or known any? If ever you are called one, try to figure out where that term came from!
actually I know that one!!! A sidewinder is a rattle snake that is very comfortable throughout So Ca. They are not very big, but apparently bite just like those big boys.

Being basically a city girl, living in the forest is a treat I can not get enough of. Everyday, when I am out and about, I say to myself "Nita" this is what our country is all about...This is America!!! Of course I say other things too because I talk to myself a lot..

Old 01-15-2009, 10:16 AM

620 posts, read 2,083,312 times
Quote:
... Of course I say other things too because I talk to myself a lot..
Why, you must be really smart then! You've got a built in teacher!

Old 01-15-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Winkus View Post
Why, you must be really smart then! You've got a built in teacher!
oh, don't tell everyone.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:23 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Well now Rog you do it a bit differently than I learned to gig frogs.

I was taught to tie the treble hook onto my fishing line. Drop you about 4-5' of line depending on how tall you area, just enough to maybe touch the ground with the pole out in front of you. You get behind them on the bank (they always face the water!) have your buddy shine the light in their eyes and ease the hook up under the chin, jerk and be ready to catch a squirming, slimy frog. Knock him in the head and then rinse and repeat.

Edit add: Cane poles usually work best cause they're stiffer and more stable when easing the hook up under frog's chin.
That sounds like it would work, also.

How was production with that method?

Any bad karma with trying to get that wiggling sucker off a trable hook?

I like the lowering of the water moccasin factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas