Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 11:45 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,757,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
That sounds like it would work, also.

How was production with that method?

Any bad karma with trying to get that wiggling sucker off a trable hook?

I like the lowering of the water moccasin factor.
Production was fair to middlin' in a stock pond. I'm sure it's not as good as with the spear method. We usually didn't take too many anyways, half a dozen or so. Mom wouldn't eat them so it was just me and dad. Needless to say, if you don't catch him just right, it can be a bit problematic getting it under control to knock it in the head. As for the karma associated therein...well...hard to say, lol. I've had plenty good and plenty bad and it usually doesn't tell me what I did to cause it!

This has made me think about gigging suckers. I might have to head up to Deshields creek this spring when they run if I can't find a good stream around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 01:39 PM

288 posts, read 917,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hippie Lady View Post
It was amazing during the ice-storm in Oklahoma City a year ago, in December 2007. I heard awful stories of people not supporting each other or getting up off their lazy you know what to help clear limbs from the streets so emergency vehicles could get through. Seems they wanted the "city paid workers" to do it for them. This ice storm occured late in the evening, with only about 1 hour of daylight left to secure things.

This made me really laugh! I was in Tulsa during that ice storm. My mom and I had fits of laughter at all the people who were trying to hurry and cook/eat all of their food becaue they had no electricity and it would "spoil". HA! There was an ICE storm! All you had to do was put the food outside in a container to keep any animals out and voila~ you had a fridge. Had to be in a container of some sort to keep it from freezing solid. Now, I can understand how apartment dwellers w/o a balcony (people could steal it off a porch) wouldn't have that option....but everyone else? What was wrong with using mother nature's icy breath to keep the cold things cold?

Old 01-16-2009, 04:21 AM

10 posts, read 30,097 times
There is a place downtown, you go down the main street that takes you to the front of the Capitol building, and there was this place where several homeless had made makeshift homes in these kind of inverted bay window type doors, and now it's all boarded up. They don't have anywhere to go.

I realize some homeless don't actually want to work and collect a check and be lazy, but a lot of them need our support and help because they haven't gotten anywhere even by trying.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:48 PM

171 posts, read 326,866 times
Good thought! I've been there - without a fridge, no money and four kids to feed, in the winter. We put our food in plastic bags, hung it upon the outside of the back door, but inside the screen door, so to keep the critters out. Thanks for helping me remember the good times! My kids were fascinated and felt more secure, knowing they were going to have good milk to drink. They still talke about it!

I'm so grateful of having learned some survival skills. Especially at this time in my life. I insisted on having a wood stove for heat in my home so that, during a winter ice storm as we have today, I can be comfortable, have my hot food and kick back and relax. Learned to make a pot of coffee without a coffee pot. Food is wonderful when it's cooked in an iron skillet on a wood stove.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:12 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
I have fond memories of spearing suckers at night with spear in one hand and light in the other when I was growing up poor on a run down central MN farm.

For 2 weeks we ate fresh fried suckers when the spring "run" was on.

Yes it ( spearing at night) was illegal, but I never encountered a game warden as their major concern was if you were spearing Northern Pike or walleyes (which I wasn't)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas