U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-03-2009, 09:05 PM

62 posts, read 97,588 times

Advertisements

My husband and I recently relocated to Memphis for his job. Right now, we are in Midtown Memphis. While there are things we love about Midtown, we can't afford private schools so that pretty much rules out buying a house here. We are are trying to make a decision between Bartlett, Desoto County, and Marion.
Some questions if anyone can help me-
Can you get a house for around $150,000? We are looking for 3 bedrooms -about 1600-1700 square feet.
Are there good daycares or people that watch children in their homes that are reasonable? (125 or so a week)
Are the school systems good?
Property Taxes high? Average?
Police Department? City Services?
Who is the utility provider and how do the rates compare to other areas?

I work downtown and my husband works at the Nike Northridge Distribution Center.
Thanks for any input you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 11:51 AM

264 posts, read 754,755 times
I wouldnt choose Bartlett, its kind of the older development, growth shifting to surrounding counties, and not if you have the other choices you mentioned. I dont know too much about marion, but I do know the school system is good. Some friends of mine had their kids in the schools. It is a pretty safe, smaller town. Good choice...

Old 01-04-2009, 12:55 PM

79 posts, read 179,876 times
I wouldnt choose Bartlett, its kind of the older development, growth shifting to surrounding counties, and not if you have the other choices you mentioned. I dont know too much about marion, but I do know the school system is good. Some friends of mine had their kids in the schools. It is a pretty safe, smaller town. Good choice...>>

Bartlett has its old sections but I wouldn't say that it is in decline. It has higher incomes, tons more amenities and services, and just as good schools as Marion. You also don't pay a state income tax.
If you want a smaller town with less congestion, then Marion could be the better choice. Your commute would be shorter in Marion, your husbands would be about the same. You probably could find more house for your money in Marion, but right now there are deals everywhere.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:31 PM

264 posts, read 754,755 times
Bartlett has its old sections but I wouldn't say that it is in decline. It has higher incomes, tons more amenities and services, and just as good schools as Marion. You also don't pay a state income tax.
If you want a smaller town with less congestion, then Marion could be the better choice. Your commute would be shorter in Marion, your husbands would be about the same. You probably could find more house for your money in Marion, but right now there are deals everywhere.[/quote]

Its not in decline, but in the near future it could start. Shelby County is losing people, thats a fact. The higher income residents are leaving. Bartlett will not be able to keep up with surrounding areas in growth and development. At this moment it does offer more in terms of services/amenities, but the newer areas are catching up and passing Bartlett. You have to look at long term.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:57 AM

5 posts, read 10,984 times
I am a Realtor in Marion with MOD CUT: No references to RE firms allowed per TOS. I don't know too much about the other choices of yours, but I can help to answer some of the questions about Marion for you.
1. Yes, there are plenty of choices in your price range, from brand new to pre-owned, a few subdivisions to choose from.
2. I am not sure about babysitting at their home, but there are a few churches provide good daycare, and their charges is very reasonable.
3. We have a lot of relocations coming to Marion for the school. Our school has expanded so much and fast in the last few years, we have our brand new Junior High building getting ready to be finished in a few months.
4. The property tax on a $150,000 house will be approximately $1,400 per year.
5. I know the personal property tax is not high here, I have to get back with you on this one. I know someone told me MS is high in personal property tax.
6. Police service is excellent here, anytime, if there is something happen, 2-3 police cars will come to the spot in minutes.
7. Light by Entergy, Gas by CenterPoint, Cabel tv by Comcast, City water and sewage.

For more informations about the school and Marion, please go to my website MOD CUT: No references to RE related websites representing only one firm or a coalition of firms, I have added different links for viewers to check Marion out. If you have further questions, feel free to contact me, I will be glad to answer and help you. My contacts are on my website.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Stormcrow73; 01-29-2009 at 07:33 AM.. Reason: TOS Violations related to advertising of RE firms

Old 01-29-2009, 02:48 PM

5 posts, read 10,984 times
Hi, Calyaz,
About the personal property tax, from Marion Chamber of Commerce, it shows $9.29/$1000, let say if the value is $15,000, the tax is approx. $140.00.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:21 PM

4 posts, read 6,336 times
Hey, I moved to Marion straight after school because I had a job in Memphis. Let me be the first to tell you it is a GREAT place to live. When I first moved there the population tag (on Airport Rd) said around 8K. Now it is around 11K I do believe. We moved into the Bayo Vista Estates because you could get a lot of house for your money. If I am not mistaken, another buyer has taken over and they are building cookie cutter, less expensive houses for like 100K-120K. We had a 1680 sq ft house that we bought brand new in 2007. I must say that I have taken for granted the housing market in Arkansas. I put the house up for sale in late November for in the 140K's (crazy I know) because my job relocated me in Dec. I am trying to find all brick and it does not exist here unless you have a ton of money. The quality of homes are not the same either.

All in all, Marion tops Memphis anyday. The schools are better, environment is better, and so are your neighbors.

Let me know if I can help you with anything else

Old 03-02-2010, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,193 times
Just moved to Marion about 5 months now. It isnt that bad of a place to live. Utilities arent bad, housing prices arent bad. (DO NOT RENT APARTMENTS in this town they are junk). Schools seem okay tho not one of the top fourty in the state.
Some of the older houses are very nice. The newer ones are cheap built so you take your chances there. And you have to remember this is all flood area. So buy a house built high off the ground. lol just a friendly warning.
One thing this town needs is a hospital, West Memphis is the closest and has one of the WORST ERs in the whole state of Arkansas. The roads in this area are really bad and dangerus. But thats Arkansas roads for ya..
You cant beat the folks here, most are friendly thow you can still feel the tention between white folks and colored folks ( I will never understand why we all have to be this way).

Old 06-12-2012, 05:14 PM

5 posts, read 3,845 times
"One thing this town needs is a hospital, West Memphis is the closest and has one of the WORST ERs in the whole state of Arkansas."

That is simply not true.
Crittenden Regional Hospital is a JCAHO accredited facility and renders high quality care. I work in healthcare (not an employee of this hospital) and have been a patient at this facility- including the ER. Family, neighbors and friends have been treated there and handled well. The quality of care rendered for the kind of facility it is (a community hospital) is fine.

Marion is just west of Memphis, TN which hosts a very large medical community and the University of Tennessee Medical School. Minutes away from Marion in downtown Memphis one can be treated at Methodist University Hospital, The Regional Medical Center at Memphis (Level 1 Trauma and Burn Unit), & LeBonheur Children's Medical Center. A few minutes more brings Delta Medical Center, Methodist North Hospital, Methodist South Hospital. a few minutes more brings St Francis Hospital & Baptist Memorial Hospital. Beyond that lie Methodist Germantown, St Francis- Bartlett, Baptist Collierville and to the south Baptist DeSoto. Every one of these hospitals lies within a 30 minute drive of Marion- the closest less than 10.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:40 PM

3,389 posts, read 3,443,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGreg View Post
"One thing this town needs is a hospital, West Memphis is the closest and has one of the WORST ERs in the whole state of Arkansas."

That is simply not true.
Crittenden Regional Hospital is a JCAHO accredited facility and renders high quality care. I work in healthcare (not an employee of this hospital) and have been a patient at this facility- including the ER. Family, neighbors and friends have been treated there and handled well. The quality of care rendered for the kind of facility it is (a community hospital) is fine.

Marion is just west of Memphis, TN which hosts a very large medical community and the University of Tennessee Medical School. Minutes away from Marion in downtown Memphis one can be treated at Methodist University Hospital, The Regional Medical Center at Memphis (Level 1 Trauma and Burn Unit), & LeBonheur Children's Medical Center. A few minutes more brings Delta Medical Center, Methodist North Hospital, Methodist South Hospital. a few minutes more brings St Francis Hospital & Baptist Memorial Hospital. Beyond that lie Methodist Germantown, St Francis- Bartlett, Baptist Collierville and to the south Baptist DeSoto. Every one of these hospitals lies within a 30 minute drive of Marion- the closest less than 10.
You are responding to a post from over two years ago. It's unlikely that person will ever see your response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas