U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2007, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,590 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone --

We anticipate relocating to the Little Rock area in the next few months and have been researching homes on the Internet. We're looking for at least two acres, wooded on top of the other requirements of the house itself (three bedrooms, etc.). We seem to have developed a preference for the west/south sides of Little Rock, and have really liked some of the property in Mabelvale that we've found on the various realtor web sites. Can anyone tell us more about this city?

P.S. It was especially pleasing to read on other posts that AR has Green Bay fans as we'll be moving to AR from WI via CA, and we couldn't be happier that Favre will be playing another season!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 08:12 AM

4 posts, read 12,931 times
Default Mabelvale info

Hi Zooguy

First, I'd like to extend an advance "Welcome to Arkansas!" I've lived in the Mabelvale area for 30+ yrs. This area is also known as Southwest Little Rock & could be divided into 2 zip codes, 72209 & 72103. I have to strongly urge you to stay away from anything in 72209 inside the Little Rock city limits, even if the real estate prices might be enticing - low property values have a reason. 72209 is what you might call a "transitional" area (i.e. white flight turned a lot of houses into rentals).

Zip code 72103 has a much more varied housing market, & is mostly unincorporated without city regulations or city services such as garbage pick-up or fire protection. You'd have to contract a waste carrier but that's not a problem. Fire protection is by volunteer fire depts, but our area has a rating of 9, which is very good; homeowner's insurance isn't bad. Property taxes are relatively low, depending on whether you settle in Saline County or Pulaski County (which includes Little Rock). There are no restrictions on pets (dogs can & do run loose) & some people keep livestock. Utility providers & costs vary, & you might have trouble finding high-speed internet service. The downside of no restrictions is seeing a $250k home with landscaping next door to a mobile home that has cars up on blocks in the yard.

The Little Rock public school system has been struggling with aging physical plants & Federal oversight on desegregation. Some people like it, some people don't. The Saline County public school system is in better shape. There are also a number of excellent private schools everywhere, some church-affiliated & some not.

The shopping in Mabelvale is somewhat limited but adequate for everyday needs. If you don't mind driving in a 20-mile radius, shopping for everything from big-ticket items, clothing, electronics, etc. is more than adequate.

I can't recommend west Little Rock due to it's explosive growth & lack of mandatory green spaces. Most of the neighborhoods are brand-new with higher-end housing in that area, & inflated pricetags to match. Everything is more expensive in WLR, from gasoline & groceries to same-item prices at Wal-Mart & Target as compared to other areas of the city. Because of its rapid growth in housing & retail, this is the most traffic-congested area of Little Rock. Overall, the pace in WLR is rather hectic but if you're very social, you might not mind.

Between Mabelvale & west Little Rock, of course I'd have to recommend Mabelvale The neighborhoods are established, but there are new developments here too. Your preference for wooded areas & several acres would be better met at a more reasonable price, & there are plenty of rentals available if you'd like to "try before you buy." You can look at rural acreage with woods & pastures, or check out some of the more suburban style developments on lots.

I'd be more than happy to answer any specific questions you might have. I'd also like to recommend Elaine Simpson with McDaniel Realty here in Mabelvale, whom I've done business with. She's a very nice lady, low-key & pleasant with years of experience with property in this area. You can contact her at 501-562-2000. Good luck with your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas