U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 05:49 PM

24 posts, read 52,311 times

Advertisements

O.K. What does "being ready" mean in an ice storm? I am currently visiting my place in central Ark. About 15 miles West of Dennard. Today we bought a generator, a lantern and a small amount of food. Being from the NorthWest, I have never even come close to what an ice storm is so I guess I will learn the hard way. BTW...hubby was already stocked up on the booze. There are no dry counties where I am from, so he stocks up real good as soon as our plane lands the first day here. I do wish this place had a wood stove.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 06:10 PM

5,266 posts, read 3,803,944 times
Sounds like you have a good start.
Ice storms can down power lines/trees ect.
Sometimes no power for days plus it can be dangerous to get from point a to point b.(home to car lol)
Not fun.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:26 PM

2,024 posts, read 2,578,194 times
This is exciting to me, hopefully the power don't stay out too long though. Looking at the computer models it looks like this could be fairly significant in some areas.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:31 PM

23 posts, read 43,738 times
Well, it was 7 degrees here today in Ohio, and we still have about 12 inches of snow on our deck from last weeks snow storm (after the sun being out all weekend.) Ice is not fun, but this snow is getting old. 2 1/2 more weeks and we will be down there....and I can't wait! Bring on the ice storms. I am use to that from growing up in Louisiana!

Old 01-26-2009, 06:59 PM

77 posts, read 154,217 times
I understand the hub bub over transportation and such, but why are people running out and stocking up? Back in NY I do not ever remember such a panic over something so short? Is the DOT down here really that bad?

Old 01-26-2009, 07:20 PM

24 posts, read 52,311 times
I don't think we are really stocking up. We are only here a few times a year and haven't got the necessary things to get through an ice storm. When we move here for good I am sure we would have the appropriate stock on hand and wouldn't have to worry much. This is just a first for us and since we only have gas heat and no wood stove, we need to figure an alternate heat source. That's why the generator. Seems more of a long term item to have around, don't you think?

Old 01-26-2009, 08:07 PM

86 posts, read 160,404 times
5NEWSonline.com :: Northwest Arkansas and Fort Smith News, Weather and Sports

Seems to be the same preparation as in a hurricane. About 6:00 on the news this channel was saying they had too many wrecks to count. Enough for me to stay off the road.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:46 PM

50,066 posts, read 42,457,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancygal View Post
5NEWSonline.com :: Northwest Arkansas and Fort Smith News, Weather and Sports

Seems to be the same preparation as in a hurricane. About 6:00 on the news this channel was saying they had too many wrecks to count. Enough for me to stay off the road.
and my granddaughter, who lives in Fayetteville intends on going to work tomorrow morning. she is sure she will be fine if she leaves early. Oh to be 22 again!!!!

Nita

Old 01-26-2009, 10:05 PM

4,679 posts, read 7,877,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallbaro View Post
I understand the hub bub over transportation and such, but why are people running out and stocking up? Back in NY I do not ever remember such a panic over something so short? Is the DOT down here really that bad?
Cause ice, if enough of it, is totally and completely paralyzing... can't blade it off, many regions that get ice don't have the equipment nor enough salt to do much fight against it, and salt by itself really won't help either, in heavy conditions. 4x4's slide off icy roads just as easily as regular cars. Ice is not the same as snow... I would gladly take 2' of snow over 1/2" of ice. With all that said, ice is quite beautiful in its own way - the way it glimmers off the branches and leaves, tiny icicles hanging here and there. But its deadly and dangerous and destructive - some sources say that just 1/4" on a electric line span adds ~500 pounds to the wire, that is a lot of extra stress; and then the trees... So, yea, its a serious reason to stock up.

Best to all in the Ozarks, MO, and AR... be safe and warm!

Old 01-27-2009, 04:39 AM

786 posts, read 1,569,659 times
I'm glad to have a job,but I get to freeze for 12 hrs today.

I only have to travel less than a mile and a half,but I have one pretty good hill along the way. It could be fun going and coming home today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas