U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 05:13 AM

48,391 posts, read 39,397,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
Wow, Nita. You get so defensive. I'll admit that I've been a bit nit picky, but the whole jist of my posts is that I'm trying to understand the vibe here. It feels extremely negative and people come across as very unfriendly. Is this due to me just being in such an unfamiliar territory, or is it a problem with Arkansans? Would I be feeling the same way if I moved to any other state, that's what I need to know.

Today was another example. My electricity went off mid day. I've had this happen in apartments before, and usually it is the one time where you can meet your neighbors and wait for the power to come back on. Not so here. Everyone kept to themselves and I had to go on my own journey to find it how extensive the outage was.
OMG, what next? I am thinking you must spend all your free time dreaming up things to complain about...am I defensive? I really don't think so, I think I see the silver lining that you are missing. You really have a couple of choices, 1-you find a way to get over the whining and enjoy what AR has to offer or you take any job you can get and return to the East Texas area. It sounds like you are so home sick that no place would satisfy you. I have lived in 7 states in my life, some just for a short time while in college, never have I found any of them as bad as you are finding AR. No place is perfect, not even Texas beleive it or not, but most places are filled with nice people and have something to offer all of us. We spent a year in the very North coast of California. It was not for us and we worked hard (hubby was job hunting almost the entire time) until he found something that was suitable. Even then, we didn't dwell on the negatives, made some good friends and found many wonderful things to enjoy in the area. We got involved in the community, explored the surroundings, and accepted our situation until we could make a change.

Nita

Old 05-31-2009, 08:38 AM

511 posts, read 297,200 times
Talked to a lady last night from Shreveport, and she totally agreed with me. She said her in laws couldn't wait to leave AR and hated it there. I asked why, and she told me it was because the people were so unfriendly there!

Old 05-31-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Talked to a lady last night from Shreveport, and she totally agreed with me. She said her in laws couldn't wait to leave AR and hated it there. I asked why, and she told me it was because the people were so unfriendly there!
Dave, you will always find some who will agree with you on any subject, but that doesn't mean most will agree. I would think, by now, you would see this. Yes, there are those here that say similar things, more disagree with your assessment. Maybe you need to read what Princess has to way about why she loves AR? Reading her story certainly makes me happy for the life I have: I realize how much worse it could be even if I though it was or is bad. Which by the way, I don't. I am quite happy with the life I have been able to have so far. It hasn't always been easy, things have gone wrong from time to time, we have made lots of mistakes, but overall the good outweigh the bad.

Nita

Old 05-31-2009, 08:59 AM

1,623 posts, read 2,937,034 times
Quote:
Talked to a lady last night from Shreveport, and she totally agreed with me.
Earlier in the week I talked to a guy that advised me, in great detail, of the three alien life forms existing among us.

That don't make it gospel though.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Earlier in the week I talked to a guy that advised me, in great detail, of the three alien life forms existing among us.

That don't make it gospel though.
can't rep you cause they won't let me: excellant come back. I guess if nothing else Dave keeps this board interesting.

Nita

Old 05-31-2009, 09:49 AM

163 posts, read 390,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneBramage View Post
Burger bars, comvenience stores and TV sets are the American way. Get in or get out.
No, it's not. Maybe for you, but there's a whole chunk of people out there who live life differently. I've lived all over the world and very happy now in the part of Arkansas where I am now.

Don't forget: It's all in the mind. You need to be in the right mindset to live life to it's fullest.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:35 AM

28 posts, read 41,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HANNU View Post
No, it's not. Maybe for you, but there's a whole chunk of people out there who live life differently. I've lived all over the world and very happy now in the part of Arkansas where I am now.

Don't forget: It's all in the mind. You need to be in the right mindset to live life to it's fullest.
Sorry, I was being facitious. I haven't been in a fast food joint in 20 years and I only use convenience stores for gas but I will watch PBS, the Evening news and baseball. It just seems the consumptive blurb mentality prevails in a system where the buck rules.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I was being facitious. I haven't been in a fast food joint in 20 years and I only use convenience stores for gas but I will watch PBS, the Evening news and baseball. It just seems the consumptive blurb mentality prevails in a system where the buck rules.
There ya go, baseball, That is one thing you might miss if you move to AR, but we still follow our Dodgers as much as possible,

Nita

Old 05-31-2009, 02:17 PM

1,784 posts, read 2,399,608 times
Quote:
Grin and bare it. Pay your money and take some chances. Burger bars, comvenience stores and TV sets are the American way. Get in or get out.
Please don't follow the above advice, Dave, or you may find yourself in an unfriendly jail cell. I'll leave it up to you to figure out what advice I'm talking about.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:27 PM

517 posts, read 925,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
There ya go, baseball, That is one thing you might miss if you move to AR, but we still follow our Dodgers as much as possible,

Nita
Nah, we have the Naturals and Razorbacks (LR has the Travelers). Those are just as entertaining as the big leagues and all three have fantastic new stadiums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas