U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 08:17 PM
pau

45 posts, read 93,428 times

Advertisements

I have lived in California for many years, phoenix az, Dallas Texas Oklahoma city, and now Arkansas. I have to say, Arkansas is no less friendlier than California, Arizona or Texas.

Its that Arkansas will never fulfill your utopian idea of life. So, go back to where you want to live and know its all a personal opinion and certainly not the case with every person who moves to Arkansas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
Talked to a lady last night from Shreveport, and she totally agreed with me. She said her in laws couldn't wait to leave AR and hated it there. I asked why, and she told me it was because the people were so unfriendly there!

Old 06-16-2009, 08:29 PM

69,596 posts, read 79,920,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pau View Post
I have lived in California for many years, phoenix az, Dallas Texas Oklahoma city, and now Arkansas. I have to say, Arkansas is no less friendlier than California, Arizona or Texas.

Its that Arkansas will never fulfill your utopian idea of life. So, go back to where you want to live and know its all a personal opinion and certainly not the case with every person who moves to Arkansas.
so true, there is no place that is perfect for everyone, but everyone can find something positive from life's experiences which is what living in different places is, an experience..

Actually we have lived in many of the places you have lived, some are not for us, but we still have positive memories we will carry with us forever.

Nita

Old 06-17-2009, 08:35 PM

2 posts, read 10,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
You'll find the cost of living in Texas significantly higher than Arkansas for one simple reason - PROPERTY TAXES.

This is the bane of Texas and is the one biggest thing I hate about this state. No state tax? No problem? We'll just raise your property taxes to one of the highest in the nation.

BTW, I happen to loveTexas but it has its own problems as well as any other state.

Very true, I live in Texarkana so we have both Texarkana Tx and Ar... And i'll tell you for sure the property taxes will eat you alive over on TX side upwards of 4000 to 6000 per year for some very close friends of mine and these just everyday run of mill homes nothing over the top... Now mine run little over 1100 and that for 4 year home and new car etc!!! Only downside here off top is tax rate is 10% and TX is 8.25, but city is taking of raise there part so will be even before to long...

People here are friendly but your going have [mod] bleep[/mod] no matter were you go.

Last edited by leorah; 06-17-2009 at 09:55 PM..

Old 06-17-2009, 10:05 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,118,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Thanks all. I thought that a passport was better since I've used it to get secret level clearances to work in government high security areas. The situation with my birth certificate is certainly odd; I never did get full resolution on why but I tried, tried, tried.

BTW, I'd love to live in Arkansas. Although Texas has been good to us and we like the city in which we live, the rat race of the big city is just getting to me. I'm an Okie country boy anyway.

Actually, I did live in Arkansas back when I was 22 (Danville).
I too have a Delayed Birth Certificate and it is on file at the Arkansas Bureau of Vital Statistics in Little Rock. I hope, before someone jumps on me, that is the correct office title. When I was getting my stuff together for a Passport I applied to the ABVS and they sent me a Certified Delayed Birth Certificate which is just a legal as a Certified (original) Birth Certificate.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:49 PM

O.K. people, I think we have kicked around poor old TxDave enough. He has been given much good advice but I doubt he has absorbed/accepted any of it. As most of us know, the world, where ever we live, is what we make of it. We will find what ever we look for; good, bad, or indifferent. Hopefully, some day TxDave will realize that and make the best of it. I certainly hope so, for his sake and all those around him.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:19 PM

Today as I entered a store here in Little Rock I met an "old" woman using a walking cane. As we met we both went through the usual stepping and side stepping trying to decide which side to pass on. She stopped, looked up at me, and with a smile on her face and in her voice she said "I don't have time to dance", and I said "not even a two-step?" and she said "I have things to do". We then bid each other good day and moved on. So, I wonder, if TxDave had been in my shoes, what would have happened? Oooops, there I go again! O.K., now I'll stay off his back. Have a wonderful lifetime TxDave.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
Today as I entered a store here in Little Rock I met an "old" woman using a walking cane. As we met we both went through the usual stepping and side stepping trying to decide which side to pass on. She stopped, looked up at me, and with a smile on her face and in her voice she said "I don't have time to dance", and I said "not even a two-step?" and she said "I have things to do". We then bid each other good day and moved on. So, I wonder, if TxDave had been in my shoes, what would have happened? Oooops, there I go again! O.K., now I'll stay off his back. Have a wonderful lifetime TxDave.
I can imagine what he would have posted and thought..She sounds like she was saying something is jest or maybe she wasn't all that pleasant, but so what. I thought about all this today, in Sams. The kid who checked us out never smiled, said kiss my toe nails or even ask for my card, I just handed it to him. My husband was behind me and bumped his arm, where he had a little sore already and it started to bleed. The gal next to him, a Sams employee said, oh let me get you a clean band aid, then after he changed and threw the other one in a trash can, she joked and said, did you throw that in my trash can?? From there she helped our checker put things into our basket smiling and joking all the time. We could have reacted two ways: 1-to complain about my grummpy guy or be happy with the young smiley gal. What did we do? I thanked her for being so friendly and wearing a smile. Guess what? Our checker perked up, smiled, asked if we needed anything more and thanke us for coming to Sams.

Nita

Old 06-18-2009, 07:11 PM

511 posts, read 639,284 times
Do you really think your sarcastic replies are working to improve my opinion? NOT. The FACT is if the problem is solely with me having a warped perception, why didn't I feel like people were rude to me in Texas? This is the first place I ever lived where I never met anyone nice, and zero friends.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Do you really think your sarcastic replies are working to improve my opinion? NOT. The FACT is if the problem is solely with me having a warped perception, why didn't I feel like people were rude to me in Texas? This is the first place I ever lived where I never met anyone nice, and zero friends.
who are you talking to?

Nita

Old 06-18-2009, 11:02 PM

735 posts, read 1,058,496 times
I think we will see the havoc you have wreaked on the Evening News next month or maybe 20 years from now. Chill out!!!

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or