U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 12:08 PM

2,370 posts, read 6,858,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP1967 View Post
Well it is not just Arkansas that needs a Birth Certificate you need that in ANY state you go to get your License in. Be glad you didnt go to NJ because you would need a Birth Certificate plus a few other forms of ID as well as mail that was in your name at the address you say you live at. As for property taxes here is MUCH MUCH MUCH nicer. The taxes on my home back in NJ were $13,800 a year and that was for a 4BR house on 1 acre. Right now we are renting until I find something that we will want to live in for the next 20 years but I know we have it so much better here than back in NJ. My wife is from Mountain Home and when she came to NJ to be with me she almost died at how expensive it was and now after living here for 3 months I cant understand why I didnt come out here much sooner. When we went to get our DL's and tags for the car it took all of 20 minutes because we were used to having all kinds of ID ready the woman at the counter said "well arent yall ready for anything" lol I then told her how it was in NJ and she just chuckled and said welcome to Arkansas...............oh and by the way I LOVE IT HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! even with this darn Ice Storm lol
Well Steve...I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. MD wasn't much better! Taxes on the 4br colonial on .25 acre we owned up there had we stayed would have been over $6k this year and that's in SPITE of a HUGE drop in home value!! When we first went to the MVA in Silver Spring, it took us over 2 hours to get 2 DL's (yep...birth cert required, as well DL from previous state, and a couple of bills from our current residence to indeed prove we lived where we said we lived!) and one car titled. The title work was about $200 IIRC and that was after the $100 for a safety inspection (good thing those were one time only!) BTW, that 2 hours was AFTER a very nice police officer decided to give us a break by walking us to the front of a couple of lines.

Welcome home SteveP!

Old 01-27-2009, 12:21 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,527,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
I bet once you give it more time, Arkansas will grow on you.
... or maybe not...
Arkansas has some of the strangest laws I've ever seen. Don't miss it one bit.
High taxes are one thing. Stupid taxes are another. High and stupid taxes, that's Arkansas.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:26 PM

69,357 posts, read 79,541,504 times
I for one am glad to see them checking so closely..Yes, it can be a pain, but at least we know most of the drivers are legal. The same with voting, I was surprised how closely they checked when we voted, again, they made sure we were who we said we were and were registered. I can almost guarantee you we could have voted in our old state with no problems even though we don't live there anymore. We got so much campaign material from them and guess what, they had our Ar address on it.

Nita:

Old 01-27-2009, 01:28 PM

570 posts, read 1,364,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
I gotta say, the negatives sure are outweighing the positives, and I am regretting my decision to move here from Texas.

Today was really the capper. I tried to get my driver's license some time ago, and they told me I had to bring a copy of my birth certificate. ARe you kidding me? Thankfully, my mom just happen to find a copy and sent it to me. I went in today hoping to finally get this taken care of. The lady rudely tells me, that's a copy sir, we need the original. How in the world can I get the original? That's not our problem, sir.

So basically they expect me to make a trip to my birthplace in Texas to get this one freaking document. Why isn't a driver's license and SS# card good enough?

Oh yea, prepare to pay property tax just for owning a car. Thanks Arkansas. You just took away the main benefit of renting a house vs owning.

I really hate the laws here. According to the website, if I buy an item in Texas, I have to report it for sales tax here, even something small like a cd. Are the law makers just nuts here? I am being taxed so much that my salary of 37K ends up giving me a take home of about 500 a week, the same amount I made in Texas at 30K a year. Why is this a poor state when they just rape people on taxes? State income tax plus high sales tax. Pretty sad when a single guy with no kids can barely make it on 37K here.

The electric company is pretty ridiculous too. I was only two days past the due date on my bills, and they already sent me a shut off notice.

The highway systems are also a mess especially in Bryant and Little Rock. They can not accomadate a growing population. And despite living near a metro area, I only have on option for high speed internet, and it has gone out 3 times already.

I'm just ready to get back to Texas where life was lot more simpler and cheaper!
birth certificate! you have illegal aliens to thank for that. And I believe all the states ask for a birth certificate when you go for a new drivers license in a deferent state.
Dont let the door hit you in the butt on your way back too Texas. BY BY

Old 01-27-2009, 04:20 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,527,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adysmom View Post
birth certificate! you have illegal aliens to thank for that. And I believe all the states ask for a birth certificate when you go for a new drivers license in a deferent state.
No, not all states do.
I do think the government should crack down on illegals and false identity, but too many times they go about it the wrong way, in my opinion.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:36 PM

163 posts, read 543,256 times
ok. Can someone clarify what is required to get an Arkansas license (if I have a valid license from another state)?

Thanks.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:59 PM

511 posts, read 635,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adysmom View Post

Yea, but do they require the original document? What is wrong with a dang copy?

Another thing about Arkansas, so many smokers! Everywhere I look, people are puffing away. And they were proud on the news today that only one hospital in the state was rated in the top 270 hospitals in the nation lol

Old 01-27-2009, 05:19 PM

106 posts, read 406,660 times
A few counter points, as one that moved from Arkansas to Texas

1). Showing up first time to update drivers license and seeing line out the building, into parking lot. It reminded me of a tailgate party at a football game. People were sitting outside, on their cars/trucks, changing diapers, eating/drinking, hanging out ... waiting for "next person please".

2). Getting to end of line first time, and finding out that I had to have my car smog inspected. My fault, but totally wasted trip dealing, after hour and half of standing in line.

3). After getting all the prep (Safety inspection, Smog check, Insurance papers, license information) and making to head of line, I found out that Texas only does the paper work for a transfer. They take your old, give you a paper (no photo), and sent you a new one in the mail which took almost a month. Note: Arkansas system creates the license in front of you, hands it to you, and offers to have a nice day. I never knew how dependent our system is on photo ID's.

Thankfully, keeping Texas DL is not as much of a struggle, as you can do most things online. But the transfer was painful ...

Old 01-27-2009, 05:23 PM

174 posts, read 413,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
Yea, but do they require the original document? What is wrong with a dang copy?
my husband had to give an original copy of his bc when he went to get his new license here in TX!

Old 01-27-2009, 05:26 PM

802 posts, read 2,180,084 times
I-30 runs both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or